If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That I didn't get into Ghost in the Shell earlier

edited 2011-09-20 04:19:14 in Media
Why didn't I watch it when it was still on TV. :<

I love robot girls.

I watched two episodes plucked from what I thought would be most interesting and I'm drowning in my own saliva at this point.

/total girlcrush on Major ensues

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I was just planning on watching Stand Alone Complex :O
  • DO IT~. 8D

Have you seen it before and are revisiting, or is it new to you too?

Because I totally started with the LesYay episode. :>
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It's new to me. I recently finished Fullmetal Alchemist, so I'm going to rewatch Angel and watch SAC in the meantime :>
  • asdfghjkl twinsies~~

I wish the opening videos were easier to find though. :< Youtube, you are killing me.

uwaahh, all of those illegal upgrades on Motoko's body seriously have me curious~
  • You can change. You can.
    > Rewatch Angel

I've been thinking of doing this. Mostly because my sister wants to finish it. 

And I should watch Ghost in the Shell. Mostly because you know, scifi fag. >_>
  • Haha, when you said "sister" I instantly assumed it was me and was like wut. XD lol oh dear

And YES

also because the abbreviation sounds like "gitsack" and how funny is that~? 8D
    oh u

You should watch Angel, though.

PRIVATE DETECTIVE VAMPIRE LAWYER AT YOUR SERVICE, DAMN YOU

gitsack sounds like some sort of British insult. 
    asdfghjkl twinsies~~

I wish the opening videos were easier to find though. :< Youtube, you are killing me.

:3

You're having trouble finding the videos? Eh.
  • -link saved-

That was super useful and I love you for that. 8D

I was talking about the op's, although I guess I can just watch them from the beginning of the corresponding seasons.

Thanks sooo much~. <3
    That's the good thing about watching just popular anime- it's easy enough to find links.

It was no worries :p
  • a little muffled
    Stand Alone Complex is one of the best anime I've ever seen, for sure.

Also, > implying there's only one les yay episode.

I found the 90s movie kind of disappointing, though.
  • omg yey there's more~. *huggles Nyktos* 8D

I watched the episode with Sano, 22 I think.

She can shut down my speech centers any day~. *//////*
  • a little muffled
    It's been a while since I watched the first season. Who's Sano again?

I don't want to give the impression that the show is full of lesbian subtext all over the place, but it shows up here and there. In the manga she's apparently involved in a lesbian orgy at one point, so...
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Ghost in the Shell is probably one of the best sci-fi anime ever made, and one of the first things I recommend to people who hate anime. It handles transhumanism and the increasing mechanization of humanity really well and-

*Finds out Waltzy's in it for the fanservice.*

:(
  • Sano was that nurse that was really a narcotics member in disguise. And I heard about the orgy and read extensively about it, though from what I understand it's hard to get a copy off the manga that doesn't have those pages removed. :<

^ Ahh no, no, I like the rest of that too! I didn't mean to give the impression I was just like "hurr T and A~~". XD
    IJBM: Liking fanservice is bad.

somehow
  • IJBM: People who think fanservice makes a series better.
  • edited 2011-09-20 15:51:22
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^At the expense of everything else? Especially with a work whose best qualities are anything but?

Yes, that is bad.
  • Once again, I'm sorry to have given that impression.

I just can't comment on the other aspects yet since I'm just getting into it. n/////n;;

But I read a lot of the TV Tropes article on it just to get some background info first, and it looks like the sort of thing that's right up my alley, even if it may be for more than one reason.
    At the expense of everything else? Especially with a work whose best qualities are anything but?
    Yes, that is bad.

I can agree to this, but it still annoys me when people bring this up as an automatical show of bad taste. 

IJBM: People who think fanservice makes a series better. 

I don't think of fanservice as a dealbreaker. I just think there's nothing wrong with a show that also appeals to you aesthetically, rather than just intellectually
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    This topic reminds me that I still need to watch the second season. And rewatch the first, considering they're both on Netflix, and I loved the shit out of the first one.
  • a little muffled
    @Waltzy:
    Sano was that nurse that was really a narcotics member in
    disguise. And I heard about the orgy and read extensively about it,
    though from what I understand it's hard to get a copy off the manga that
    doesn't have those pages removed. :<
    As far as I know, all English editions have it removed.
  • IJBM: People who think fanservice makes a series better. 

IJBM: People who think it doesn't.

IJBM: People who ascribe inherent qualities to fanservice beyond "It's meant to be arousing"

IJBM: The phrase IJBM

IJBM: IJBM

IJBM
  • edited 2011-09-20 18:09:11
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    IJBMCEPTION
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    GiTS was actually one of my first anime. I have 2.0 on blu-ray and everything.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    My only real problem with Gitsack is that most of the stand alone episodes weren't nearly as interesting/exciting as the Laughing Man episodes.
  • edited 2011-09-20 18:40:20
    a little muffled
    The second season has less of a hard distinction between the stand-alone episodes and the arc-related ones. (It now has three categories of episodes instead of two; the third category is for ones that are kinda in between. But at least one of the supposedly entirely stand-alone ones is very important to the ending of the main arc, albeit in a rather indirect way.) So you might find that an improvement.

On the other hand, the main arc is weaker than the first season's, or at least the first half of it is. The conclusion might be even better, though.
  • edited 2011-09-21 10:59:28
    Electric Boogaloo
    Both the show and film can accurately be described as "wasted potential." The movie could have been fucking great, had they chosen the method of showing things over telling them. I did not need five minutes of my life wasted watching a scene inside an elevator that just switches between 2 frames of Kusanagi and 2 frames of Batou while they discuss the film's philosophy at pointblank instead of letting the audience decipher it themselves, especially since it's such a simple concept that it's not even like the audience would have to think hard to understand it. Lowest Common Denominator at its finest.

Also, SAC, why the fuck did you have to turn Kusanagi from an ex-military civil-servant who maintains a sensible fashion sense who only strips down when it's tactically necessary into a slutty abrasive bitch for the sole reason of fanservice with purple hair? Did you honestly think the people who liked the movie were full of shit and wouldn't be interested in the show? Did you really think the show wouldn't be able to keep people's attention if it didn't have tits in their faces every five seconds?

And to the writers of the second season, congrats having the main character propose to have sex with a 12-year-old completely out of the blue. On the other hand, I guess you did have to make her more related to the fans.