If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM anime club

Comments

• edited 2012-05-18 09:34:38

^^ Well, I figured we'd decide how frequently to watch episodes after finding out who is interested, and what show we're watching.  What I said there was just... arbitrary.  It would of course be some rate that works out for everyone (within reason, of course).

• In any case, if there is interest in this (however slight)... we can address this now?:

And if we do it, should we start with Gunbuster, as was decided last few times we tried starting this, or is there something else that would be better?

Personally, I don't have any particular attachment to the idea of watching Gunbuster, but at the same time I can't think of anything else that I'd rather have us watch, and Gunbuster is nice and short, plus it's a classic, so... (but most importantly, I already downloaded it and haven't watched it yet... >.>)

But, of course, suggestions are appreciated.  Preferably something shortish and not overly niche, since it'd be our first show we watch together.  We could take a vote but since not many people have actually expressed interest in this at all, I'm not sure what that would really accomplish.  So, yeah, throw out some names and we'll go from there.

• a little muffled

I'm okay with watching Gunbuster (then again I think I was the one that suggested it). I'm also okay with watching something else though since I have already seen it.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Can't think of anything I'd much rather watch at this time, so Gunbuster's fine.
  • edited 2012-05-18 21:33:25
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

we should totally watch claymore guys

i would put up with the shit i don't like about it to watch it with other peoples

or samurai champloo, that's meant to be good too

• You can change. You can.

hurm, let's put it to a vote

but i need people who are seriously signing up and interested to vote. not just "lolol let's watch X" and then bail when X doesn't win, k?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, why don't we start with a relatively short series?

For example, Alien Nine or Moyashimon.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

but what if someone is not interested in X, but is interested in Y, and they suggest Y, but X wins? do they still have to watch X?

because I'm not really interested in watching Gunbusters, but there are other animes I would watch if they were chosen, so I'd cast my vote for other animes but not watch Gunbusters.

• edited 2012-05-18 21:43:16
    Has friends besides tanks now
    When would the first viewing be?

Also, I'm wondering if it would be worth putting something I've already seen up for consideration.

^ That would be kinda rude, but no one can actually make you watch anything.

How about this?  Let's pick some small series that's like 2 to 6 episodes in length, and say, everyone watch these by [day, time] and then we'll come back to discuss them?

I just don't see the point in an animu club (Or an anything club) if people are not really trying to approach it with an open mind. Otherwise, it's just boring and we all end up watching animes to accomodate taste and previous experiences, rather than trying-something-new-ness.

• edited 2012-05-18 21:42:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And then if this works, we do this again, or start doing a bigger series, in chunks.

ninja'd

• When would the first viewing be?

I don't know if Juan has something else in mind, but if he doesn't I was hoping that we could start fairly soon.  Like, some time next week.

Also:

For example, Alien Nine or Moyashimon.

Fuck yeah Alien Nine! :D (or, you know, whatever we end up deciding on)

• a little muffled

Gunbuster is six episodes.

• How about this?  Let's pick some small series that's like 2 to 6 episodes in length, and say, everyone watch these by [day, time] and then we'll come back to discuss them?

I think episode-by-episode discussion might be a little better, is the thing, especially considering the format we'd be doing it in, which is why I suggested like 1 episode per day.  Then we could finish a short series like that in less than a week, and it still probably wouldn't put too much pressure on anyone... probably.

I don't know if Juan has something else in mind, but if he doesn't I was hoping that we could start fairly soon. Like, some time next week.

as i have absolutely nothing to do except filling an application (which I'm gonna do over the weekend and finish quite easily by sunday if everything goes right) then yeah, I'd be up for it.

Okay, Gunbuster is fine.  I thought it was a full-size 26-episode series.

Episode by episode does sound like a cool idea, actually.

So how about let's do that.  Pick a time by which we expect people to have finished watching an episode, and start discussing that episode openly after that?

How about this: Let's watch the first episode sometime today/tomorrow (depending on your time zone) and post here with our reactions at or before noon on Sunday eastern time.  Or rather, after 4 PM Greenwich Mean Time.

We're watching Gunbuster right?

• edited 2012-05-19 05:46:16
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I'll most likely be busy at that time. I don't mind starting tomorrow, necessarily, though.

So are we starting?

• Um... maybe?  I don't mind, but it seems Everest is busy, and I dunno about everyone else...

By "starting" do you mean watching the episode or discussing it or both?  I certainly don't think we should start discussing it right now, since that would be, like... spoilery since I think we're still trying to figure things out maybe so people will need to use this thread for a bit?

Or maybe episode discussion should be in a separate thread and we can use this thread for meta stuff (i.e. matters that relate to the club, not to the show we're currently watching)?

That sounds like a good idea actually, so... yeah.

• edited 2012-05-19 10:43:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hmm...I guess.

Also, we don't post now.  We watch the episode within a certain period of time, and then after that time, we post about it.  So basically:

time period 1: watch episode 1

time period 2: discuss episode 1, watch episode 2

time period 3: discuss episode 2, watch episode 3

etc.

I was thinking of making each time period two days, just to be less demanding on people's schedules.

Also, if we make a dedicated thread I say we just talk without spoiler tags.  Anyone who posts spoilers past where people have watched to gets warned/banned.  We can add a new rule for that.  Does that sound like a good idea?

• It would be less demanding.  It would also be really slow, since it'd mean we take two weeks to get through a six episode series.  I suppose if we were doing a longer series we could deal with it by having, say, two episodes per two days or whatever, but I don't know if that's appropriate for a very short series like Gunbuster.

But, well, it is our first show.  So maybe one episode per two days would be alright, and afterward we can decide if that rate was appropriate or too slow or... whatever.  So yeah, I guess for now we can try that.

So if that's the case, we'd all watch the first episode sometime this weekend, and start discussing it/watching the next episode by, say... noon EDT on Monday?

• Also, if we make a dedicated thread I say we just talk without spoiler tags.  Anyone who posts spoilers past where people have watched to gets warned/banned.  We can add a new rule for that.  Does that sound like a good idea?

Yeah, sounds alright.  I wouldn't say people should get banned for it unless they do it a lot/on purpose though.  If it's just someone accidentally mentioning something because they already saw the show or something, I think just warning them and erasing that part of their post is probably fine...

• a little muffled

I think I'm the only one who has seen the show already? It's been long enough that I don't remember half of what happens anyway.

• Well I meant that more generally, since presumably the idea is that after Gunbuster we would watch something else, which might possibly have been seen by more than zero people, etc.

• a little muffled

I know, I just meant in this case.

I don't mind what the pace is, personally. As long as we sfart tomorrow.
  • Well, if it's two days per episode, then even if we start today you'd still have tomorrow to watch the first episode, so

Right. Just wasn't sure how this was gonna work.