If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Audiosurf.

edited 2011-09-18 17:47:26 in IJAM
[tɕagɛn]
I just reinstalled Steam

and

Oh my god

This is such an awesome game

Feel the fucking music mang

FEEL IT

Comments

• From what I've seen of it, I'd much rather play a more standard music game (that is, one where the levels are premade, and not automatically generated by the game), since it seems like automatically generating levels just... doesn't work out all that well.
  • It actually works well once you play it.

The road follows the music, not all the blocks, and it generates them really well, from my experience.
  • You can change. You can.
    From what I've seen of it, I'd much rather play a more standard music game instrument.
  • IJBM: People making comparisons between playing video games and playing instruments, even jokingly.
  • edited 2011-09-18 17:57:26
    Eh, I play piano and rhythm games, and I don't see how those interests are mutually exclusive, aside from the obvious fact that playing rhythm games are not going to teach you how to play musical instruments by themselves (well, maybe drums from what I've heard).
    I don't think that they are mutually exclusive, but I have expressed my dislike for rhythm games before, mostly because for they don't allow for the freedom that an actual instrument gives you, as you're pretty much playing "Simon Says", but with music.

Again, it is just a matter of opinion.

(It does help that I kinda suck at Guitar Hero. Mostly because, let's face it, trying to play guitar and not thinking in terms of slides, chords, etc etc feels bizarre, man)
  • But see, Juan, you're saying you don't like rhythm games (and Guitar Hero in particular) because of the ways they aren't like playing an instrument.  The thing is though, they aren't supposed to be instruments at all.  They're just video games that sometimes happen to use the idea of a particular musical instrument for flavor/cohesiveness/gimmickiness/whatever.  As far as them being "Simon Says" with music, well... yeah, that's a fair point, and that one really just comes down to personal preference.
  • But Simon Says uses music.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Saying you don't like rhythm games because they're not like real instruments is like saying you don't like first-person shooters because they're not like getting a real gun and shooting people.

i.e., silly.
    But Simon Says uses music.

Not where I live. 

But see, Juan, you're saying you don't like rhythm games (and Guitar Hero in particular) because of the ways they aren't like playing an instrument. The thing is though, they aren't supposed to be instruments at all. 

I know. But I still feel rather uncomfortable because it's supposed to come as toned down simulation. At least, when it comes to the Guitar Hero/Rock Band thing. And it's specially jarring when you know how to play Smoke on the Water and then have to unremember it so that you can play how the game ask you too.

As far as them being "Simon Says" with music, well... yeah, that's a fair point, and that one really just comes down to personal preference.

What it all boils down to in the end, don't you think?
  • Poot dispenser here
    Well, I like Audiosurf.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I like DDR and its derivatives (like Stepmania) much more than other music videogames because it makes me move and exercise.
  • I would love DDR but I am paranoid that I would suck at it and therefore I never play it >_>

Didn't touch it once at Mizzumi-Con >_>
  • There was a Japanese import video game at a convention I went to: Pop'n music. Nearly everyone sucked royally at it and had to team up to get halfway decent scores. Most people just play these games for fun and don't care about winning.
  • edited 2011-09-18 22:23:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Chagen: Download Stepmania, download some actually-used-in-DDR-games stepfile packs, and start with the lowest difficulties.

Alternatively, go to sites like bemanistyle and download stepfiles for your favorite songs.
  • edited 2011-09-18 22:28:28
    On a side note, I've been thinking about making my own stepfiles, but something that bugged me was that most of the charts I see on YouTube seem overcharted for the keyboard interface rather than the way it's supposed to be played. Is it possible to do those 180 bpm charts with feet (let alone without looking like an idiot)?
  • edited 2011-09-18 22:29:53
    I really don't like those--especially when they involve hitting three or four panels at once.

Sure, I guess you might be able to have some fun with some of them, but wouldn't that make them touchfiles rather than stepfiles? :P
  • ^^ They're not (necessarily) overcharted (though many certainly are, yeah).  It's just that playing with the keyboard is a lot easier, so you need more complicated charts for the game to be fun.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I don't really think Audiosurf is a beat game actually.

I like osu!,though I suck at it. I mainly play Taiko mode though,main mode is evil
  • Lately I've been mostly playing Taiko mode too.  I find it strange that a lot of the hardest beatmaps are actually from a Taiko No Tatsujin game, since I'd normally expect user-made maps to be a lot harder...  The main mode is fun too, but that's probably because I have a tablet, so I don't need to use a mouse to play it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I was always wondering how Audiosurf layout-files have anything to do with the music, because I kept on observing how they didn't.

Now I know, they really don't.
  • The road obviously follows the beat of the music. It does it really well, in my opinion.

Also, the pickups sometimes follow the music.
  • edited 2011-09-19 12:22:48
    I have somehow never noticed whether the road follows the music.  The blocks definitely don't (most of the time), be they all the blocks, just the avoid blocks, or just the pickup blocks; it's like they may join in for a few beats then disappear randomly.
  • The road goes uphill when the music is slow, downhill when it's fast, and usually bumps and dips to the drum beat.

Seriously, you'd have to be blind not to notice that...
  • Poot dispenser here
    Well, it's hard to observe if you play on a very intense song.
  • Hm. I always see it even on extremely fast Electronica.