If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tainted By The Fanbase

edited 2011-03-01 22:47:31 in Media
I don't understand how this could apply to anyone, myself.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Don't you feel guilty when you have those same feelings as those squealing fankids?
  • I am a fan of Elfen Lied. so is everyone else I hate.
  • Sonic is the only thing I've ever really felt this for.
  • I like it but I don't think I want to interact with the fandom at all. There seems to be too much factionalism.
  • Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, Yahtzee.

For all of these things, intros are "I like X!... Oh, but I'm not one of those people."
  • Somewhat related, the anime fandom scares me. I get a strong impression of "not liking it the right way" a lot. And of course there are the lolicon arguments and other madness.
  • edited 2017-07-20 09:19:08
    It's kind of silly to say that there's a right and wrong way to like a work of fiction.
  • How do you not like something "the right way"?
  • edited 2011-03-02 19:03:08

Well, an easy Sonic example. You're not a true fan unless you only like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik (NOT Eggman). And sometimes not even the middle two.

Laconic: No Friends. Sonic only. Final Destination.

• edited 2011-03-02 19:03:41
    Incidentally, for some reason I thought of Shadow when typing the post above.

Also, I have the feeling that if Knuckles was introduced any later than 3 & Knuckles he'd be hugely despised. (at least to me, in the more recent installments he feels like a waste of space)
  • edited 2011-03-02 19:06:06
    ^^ Oh, I see.  I thought you meant that you thought fans were liking things for what you thought were the wrong reasons.  Since I've heard people say things like that before too.

What you're saying makes sense is true though, and it's a problem with pretty much any fanbase for a long-running franchise.  There will always be people who think that the original installments were superior in every way and that anything added afterward is just the company ruining the series.  Or maybe some segment of the fanbase will like some other installments in the franchise and dislike all the others, but whatever.  The point is that once a franchise has gone on long enough that there's a lot of differences between different works in it, you'll get people who think that only some of them actually count and all the others aren't really part of the series, and stuff like that.

^ Yeah, probably.

The rule seems to be that anything from 3&Knuckles or earlier is okay to like, anything introduced afterward is bad by default.
  • I worry about tainting my own fanbase.

Sometimes...
  • Touhou or Pokemon, Stormtroper?

I notice this with Pokemon, a lot. Suddenly you are a metafag if you run anything with gimmick attacks, a thoughtless neckbeard if you use Salamence, Metagross and the other OUers, a bandwagon jumper if you don't only like the first 150 (sometimes they don't even count Mew with one of them) and then there is the crowd that thinks Pokemon should be Darker and Edgier.
  • Oh, Final Fantasy? How fucked up is your fanbase? Well, let me count the ways...

*I am NOT counting the ways.
  • It's less fucked up than the Saw Movies fanbase (all of the saw movies)
  • I still don't understand the fanbase of The Last Airbender movie.
  • I thought that thing was universally-despised?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    The Last Airbender has a fanbase?
  • It's one of the many reasons why SoBadItsHorrible should be cut

owait
  • edited 2011-03-04 18:25:44
    ^^ IMDB message board. There's a lot of a certain kind of defending going on there - the kind that's like "why are you being so mean to it?" and "Shyamalan did his best!". There should probably be a name for that kind of stuff.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Sure those aren't just Shyamalan fans rather than Airbender-specific ones?
  • edited 2011-03-04 18:28:47
    There's probably some overlap.
  • Its kind of like LetsSeeYouDoBetter, except its more like AtLeastTheyTried, a weird subversion of TheyJustDidntCare
  • Touhou or Pokemon, Stormtroper?

Touhou, of course.

Why Pokemon? I don't remember posting about it, and the only Pokemon related thing I've played recently is...

...Touhoumon.
  • Honestly, the Touhou fanbase has kind of done this for me. It's not even that I don't like the fanbase or anything, it's just that I'm sick of hearing about / seeing anything Touhou related. Same with Homestuck.
  • My personal dislike of Touhou stems from Freudian "Excuse" more than anything. It would have been just another franchise that I wasn't interested in if it weren't for the fact that one of its stupid memes overshadowed the Dreamcast's 10th Anniversary. From then on, the notion that Touhou fans think those are the only games that exist embittered me towards the franchise.
  • To be fair, it's just the Dreamcast.  Maybe people would have cared if it were a good console.

• Incidentally, the Dreamcast ended up dying off because of a (technically and software-wise) inferior console that happened to have a more popular name attached to it. That...only makes it worse.

• edited 2011-03-04 23:55:30
    I like Touhou, I just wish that it wasn't completely up to all of the fans to decide what and what isn't true.

The fact that Flandre and Remilia are lesbians and sisters is a fucking outrage and makes me feel weird about liking Flandre so much.

Utsuho is still okay from all of the strange fanon shipping though...hopefully.