If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Draco in Leather Pants

GAPGAP
edited 2011-03-01 18:45:01 in IJBM meta
It just amazes how the audience can react to certain character and believe him/her to be something their not.

Canon: Bob is unsympathetic complete monster with a backstory who kills people for no reason because it is awesome.

Fanon: Bob's sympathetic backstory has earned him some sympathy from fans. Bob is portrayed by fans as a sympathetic anti villain who didn't want to be a villain but ended up becoming that way.

Bob x Alice 4ever!!

I know it is mostly YMMV but alternate character interpretation can be fun even if I don't understand why fans beleive character X is sympathetic despite evidence to the contrary.

Comments

• Amazes = annoys
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Because wishful thinking.
  • edited 2011-03-01 20:38:27
    Sometimes, it's a backlash against the author making a character a Complete Monster, since that archetype often slips into Flat Character territory. This comes into play also when the author practically shoves it down your throat that you're supposed to hate the character and side with the heroes (*cough* *cough* Atlas Shrugged).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Who is John Galt?

John Galt is Ayn Rand's bitch.
  • I put Selim Bradley in leather pants because of his (small) human side shown in his feelings for his mother.
  • GAPGAP
    edited 2011-03-02 12:18:47

Envy also counts since he almost wears leather pants yet fangirls love him.

Sephiroth........

• Every girly boy from Kingdom Hearts ever.
  • Has anyone else seen/read Scott Pilgrim?  Mathhew Patel may be kind of evil, but he also helped my realize I was bi.
  • Actually, Izula actually was my first female character crush. I wouldn't mind seeing her in some leather pants.

• Definitely not gay.

I was just about to make this discussion, actually.

I loved how an entire episode of B:TAS was dedicated to mocking this effect. 

• I put Selim Bradley in leather pants because of his (small) human side shown in his feelings for his mother.

Dude. He's, like, six years old.

• edited 2012-09-30 10:58:57
    You can change. You can.

I loved how an entire episode of B:TAS was dedicated to mocking this effect.

Which one

Also, I don't understand why is there this need for pretending that an evil guy is somehow less evil because he's pretty? Like...if you find them attractive, then what does it matter. Shit be fictional, yo.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Dude. He's, like, six years old.

I don't believe the phenomenon describes specifically sexualising a character?

I am fairly sure it describes taking a character who is a fairly bad person in the source material and glossing over or outright ignoring their flaws in order to paint them as more heroic.

• ^^ I think the thought process is supposed to be "They are attractive, and thus cannot be as evil as they are officially portrayed" rather than "In order for us to not feel guilty liking them, we should pretend they aren't what they are"

• You can change. You can.

But the point is that both are incredibly disingenuous. 

• Sometimes it's an understandable defense mechanism when fans get an enormous amount of flak for liking a problematic character(fandom tumblrs clashing with social justice tumblrs spring to mind).

• Definitely not gay.

Which one

Mad Love.

oh, i'm a doofus. I thought you said B:TVS rather than B:TAS

• Definitely not gay.

What bugs me about this effect is that it also robs the character of some of his (or her) appeal.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Depends on the character. Draco, for example, has basically no appeal outside of the whole 'he's not a completely bad person' thing, so fanfic authors generally up-play that in order to make him more compelling.

• Definitely not gay.

Well, I'll give you that. Draco is a coward and a fascist prick, but a big factor in that is that he was raised to be that way by his dad.

Another big factor is that he might have just been born a prick, though.

but the whole point of harry potter is that people ain't born any way, dude

Plus, Draco's douchebaggery is appealing, provided you mean appeal in a non-romantic way and simply in terms of entertainment value.

• Definitely not gay.

but the whole point of harry potter is that people ain't born any way, dude

I thought the whole point of Harry Potter was that love is stronger than death or something.

I don't know. Any trait can be seen as appealing in terms of entertainment value, even horrible psychopathy. It all depends on how it's presented.

Look at the Joker, for instance. Or Xykon, from Order of the Stick.

• Definitely not gay.

Xykon

Off-topic: OoTS hasn't updated in FOREVER.

• edited 2012-09-30 11:06:23
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Yeah, there's a difference between enjoying watching an evil character/douchebag and actually liking them as a person.

I think the whole problem may be rooted in people not always realizing that.

^Rich Burlew is recovering from an injury. Didn't you see the news update?

Off-topic: OoTS hasn't updated in FOREVER.

know right

The author is sick, so it's understandable, but... still.

Yeah, there's a difference between enjoying watching an evil character/douchebag and actually liking them as a person.

I think the whole problem may be rooted in people not always realizing that.

I don't think it's entirely that so much as the notion that, in order to find a character attractive, there needs to be a case of the second one. So in order to do that, they often distort and change the traits that lead to the first reaction. 

It's like with the whole Loki thing where people often claimed he was possessed and he was misunderstood so instead of a god of lies who's willing to plunge a whole world into war to get back at his brother, he's just Thanos' tool. Which he kind of is, but not an unwilling one, which is the bit that matters the most.