If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who claim Adam West's Batman 'ruined' Batman

edited 2011-08-24 11:16:15 in Webspace
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
despite the fact that Batman had been in full camp mode for over a decade before the show started. Also, when the Adam West series started Batman comic sales were so low DC was thinking of killing the character. Adam West's show saved Batman from obscurity.

So without Adam West, you wouldn't have your grimdark Frank Miller/ Chris Nolan Batman. SO SHUT UP!

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Well, people don't understand Batman history, so. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    The fact that it saved the franchise doesn't obligate anyone to like it, though.

You could similarly argue that MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice saved hip-hop music from falling out of the mainstream, but that doesn't mean they aren't both terrible musicians.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Did I say 'people who don't like Adam West's Batman'? No, I did not. I said people who claimed that it 'ruined' Batman.

Besides, the only thing that actually makes 1960s Batman 'bad' is that people want Batman to be serious and won't tolerate any self-aware camp.
  • I've never heard anyone say this, but then again everyone I know is aware Batman has several alternate continuities.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    True, I suppose.
  • But people love Adam West!
    Meh, the 60s series was unfunny. Hell, B:TAS made me laugh more than that.
  • For me Adam West is Batman. My main memory of Batman is repeats of the TV series on kids TV in the 80s, before they started making the films. 

Does this make me a bad person?

^^^I remember a person my age wondering 'who played Mayor Adam West on Family Guy' and restrained myself from choking her.

^^B:TaS didn't have surf jams Joker though!

^Not at all. Subjective tastes and all that.
  • edited 2011-08-24 11:56:32
    You can change. You can.
    no. just someone with bad taste

But seriously, though, am i the only one who doesn't like when people think that only one interpretation of Batman is valid? Fucking annoying.

^It did have Mark Hamill having fun with his role. You can't possibly compete with that
  • Remember that episode where Alfred pretended to be the world's oldest hippie to get Batman and Robin out of trouble?
    The episode with Lord Ffog and his team of psycho mod teenage girls was important part of me growing up.
  • ^^^ Yes. Yes you are.
    foreveralone.jpg
    ^Dude, I love having alternate Batman ideas. I wouldn't love Grant Morrison's 'everything happened' Batman otherwise.
  • Pah! A set-up like that and no-one thought to say - "No, just really old."

I scorn your so-called "not laughably camp" Batman! To the Batmobile, Boy Wonder, let's go! 

Oh ho ho ho ho ho! But I strapped Vicki Vale to cotton candy stretcher! Will you be able to get in time before she become a lovely snack? Oh ho ho ho ho!
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Strapped? Sounds kinky!
    ^Dude, I love having alternate Batman ideas. I wouldn't love Grant Morrison's 'everything happened' Batman otherwise.

you don't count

stillforeveralone.jpg
  • Glaives are better.
    GOD TIER

Kevin Conroy Batman

GOOD TIER

Michael Keaton Batman

OKAY TIER

Christian Bale Batman

BAD TIER

Adam West Batman

SHIT TIER

The Batmans We Shall Not Name
    What about the Joker? What does the Joker teirs look like according to Hattermon?
  • Glaives are better.
    GOD TIER

Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger (Different, but equally awesome)

GOOD TIER

John DiMaggio

MEDIOCRE TIER

Jack Nicholson 

BAD TIER

Cesar Romero

I like your Batman and Joker tiers. I find them agreeable! I love the direct-to-video DC animated movies! They are just so good!

Switch the Keaton and Bale, and you got me on board.
  • edited 2011-08-24 13:52:45
    Glaives are better.
    The Joker has to be two things: funny and scary. Mark Hamill focused more on the funny aspect of the character, but still managed to make him pants-shittingly frightening when it was appropriate. Heath Ledger focused on the horror aspect, but was still funny at times. 

I haven't seen many direct to video DC cartoons, but I based my placing of John DiMaggio on the least on his performance in Batman: Under the Red Hood. He was pretty funny, but wasn't terribly frightening past the first few minutes - probably because he was in prison for most of it.

^ Michael Keaton's performance was great because he was brooding but not angsty. He kept his pain on the inside, and there was a clear distinction between Batman and Bruce Wayne, so you could never think that the two were the same person. Christian Bale was practically shouting "I'M BATMAN" with everything he said as Bruce Wayne. I just didn't find it as subtle or as compelling a performance.
    Christian Bale was practically shouting "I'M BATMAN" with everything he said as Bruce Wayne. I just didn't find it as subtle or as compelling a performance.

you and i were definetly watching different movies, then
  • Glaives are better.
    There's also the Batman voice. Christian Bale is trying too hard. Michael Keaton could be menacing without even raising his voice.

Disregard the bad choreography and outfits, and just look at the performance for a bit. He doesn't scream or growl, but you KNOW that he's going to murder the Joker, and that he's gone over the edge.
    Michael Keaton as Batman was one of the worst pieces of miscasting in history. The man was chosen for the role, not for any actual chops he had for it, but because Burton liked working with the guy. If Burton made a Batman film now Johnny fucking Depp would be playing Batman. The stuff about Keaton's Bruce Wayne being 'subtle' is absolute nostalgic bullshit (ironic considering it's come from the Nostalgia Critic of all people). Keaton just wanders around the sets with dead eyes and purses his lips whenever he means to show his pain. The only reason I couldn't believe that Bruce Wayne was Batman is because in that universe Bruce Wayne looked like Michael Fucking Keaton. I don't think it's all Keaton's fault. He was just handed a mismatched role in a terrible film where half his lines were double-headed allusions to being Batman, coupled with even dumber plot points such as the fact that Bruce sleeps hanging upside down. (LIKE A BAT, GET IT?)

Seriously, that movie was a total piece of crap. I can only hope there's an alternate universe where Donner's first Superman gets the respect it deserves and this is acknowledged as the poorly written trash it is.
  • edited 2011-08-24 14:45:02
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    How come they always cast some skinny guy to be Superman? Isn't Superman supposed to have some muscles?
  • edited 2011-08-24 18:48:20
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'm okay with it as Superman isn't exactly human and finding someone who has the look down and can act is something that Hollywood has trouble getting down as is.

That said, I'd like if the actors playing him did what Bale did for the Batman role and started bulking up at least some.