If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That New Phyrexia is called "Nueva Phyrexia" in Spanish

2»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    I had watched some videos and stuff, but I didn't understand much of the rules until I actually played the game.
  • edited 2011-08-20 19:11:23
    $80+ per session
    So I would be Juan's evil apprentice? Who he trains to kill the foes he couldn't?
    Sorta. It'd be EDH and it'd be teamwork. --shrug--
  • $80+ per session
    That actually sounds fun. Maybe you can be my teacher.
  • You people and your EDH.
    AKA: Still can't build a Sliver deck, Noim? :p

Although regular can be played in teamwork as well. It just doesn't involve the board being cleaned so often. 
  • I have made a sliver deck, actually. It's just that EDH is so slow, 100 cards, no repeats, decks just don't flow as I'd want them to.
  • edited 2011-08-20 19:30:57
    You can change. You can.
    I have made a sliver deck, actually. It's just that EDH is so slow, 100 cards, no repeats, decks just don't flow as I'd want them to.

Yeah, admittedly it starts pretty slowly. One of the disadvantages of the format is that the first 3-5 turns are basic resource building. But the fact that you can use cards such as Tooth and Nail or insurrection, which are impractical in a 60 card game makes up for it, imo.
  • $80+ per session
    So many terms that fly over my head...
  • But Tooth and Nail decks were tier 1 during Darksteel (and I presume Fifth Dawn).

Why did I make this thread, now I want to play again for reals.
  • edited 2011-08-20 19:40:08
    You can change. You can.
    ^^ Don't worry about EDH yet. It's just another format, and it honestly takes a while getting used to it. And half the fun is deckbuilding, so.

^ It still costs seven mana. If you get it too early, it will be just wasted space that could be used for a better card. If you get it too late...it will be too late, duh.

It depends largely on the timing of the card, to be honest.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I tried the planeswalker trial to see what all the fuss was about.

However I found deckbuilding to be a dull, I'd rather all the cards randomly allocated and trying to work a strategy out what I was given, in other words I think Magic isn't for me.
  • $80+ per session
    Well, deckbuilding and looking at all the monsters and spells was my favorite part of Yugioh so...
    Yeah, if you don't like deckbuilding, 1/3 of the appeal of the game goes away, imo.

You can still use prebuilts, though. 
  • $80+ per session
    I'm downloading DotP now.
  • You can always copy others' decks (netdeck).
  • $80+ per session
    Just found the Useful Notes TVT page for the game. That's helpful.
  • However I found deckbuilding to be a dull, I'd rather all the cards randomly allocated and trying to work a strategy out what I was given, in other words I think Magic isn't for me.

You might be more interested in Limited formats, then. That's essentially what sealed-deck or booster-draft play is.
    Oh, yeah, I heard about that.

Basically, everybody unpacks a couple of booster packs with a theme and play a game, correct?
  • edited 2011-08-20 20:08:05
    That's Sealed, you do it with a sealed deck and three booster (there's
    no theme, except that the sealed deck/boosters usually come from the
    same block), and there's deckbuilding involved.

There's also Booster-draft, where eight players sit on a table, each open a booster and choose one card from it, then passes the remaining cards to the next player until they've done so with three boosters, then there's
    deckbuilding and playing.

There's also Rochester draft, which is a lot like Booster draft except one booster is opened at a time, the cards are always visible and the players take turns to pick their cards.
  • More or less. In sealed deck, you get six boosters from a set and build a deck with that. In booster draft, everyone opens a pack, picks a card, passes the rest of the pack to the person to the left, takes the pack being passed to them from the right and picks a card from that, etc. Once all the cards have been picked, they open another pack and repeat the process, but passing to the right instead. Then they open one last pack and go back around again. 

After that, there's half an hour or so to build a deck from the cards you've picked (plus however many basic lands you want to add in). Then it's usually a double-elimination tourney (a series of one-on-ones; Limited decks don't work particularly well in multiplayer, I've found). 

It's an interesting exercise in making the most out of what you find, and of identifying the value of individual cards in a different context and resisting the temptation to just grab whatever shiny rare card gets passed to you.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There are shiny rare cards in MtG?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Isn't Charizard one? /troll
  • There are rare(r) shiny (foil) versions of all cards (except the very old ones from before this existed), if that's what you mean.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So they're "rare" only in the sense that they're a rare random cosmetic variant.
  • It's so awesome seeing new people show an interest in one of your hobbies. Shame none of my close friends or family are as interested in it as I am.