If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So it turns out my mother didn't know the difference between...

edited 2011-08-18 22:36:04 in General
...zombies and vampires. 

No, really. Today, I have learned that pop culture osmosis is not absolute. After I commented on zombie-related stickers on a car, my mom said "I don't get the appeal of zombies."...

...and then asked "What's the difference between zombies and vampires?" Yes, seriously. I was amazed that someone wouldn't even have the fundamentals of this straight, but today I learned that it's possible to be a sophisticated, intelligent middle-aged American woman and not know the basics of zombies and vampires.

I gave some excellent, concise explanations, and threw in one about werewolves as a bonus.

It's funny, it's like she knew all this media related to such things existed, but had no idea of any details. I had to give a mini crash-course on Twilight, but I also had to go back to source material like Dracula and Night of the Living Dead. 

One of the interesting things about my family is that while my dad is kind of a nerd (but refuses to watch Doctor Who with me, but that's another story...), my mom totally isn't. This rarely causes problems, thankfully, but he still doesn't get why she can't see the inherent amazingness of the Lord of the Rings movies, which he will fanboy over for hours given the chance.

Comments

• Living in the world does not require an embrace of the fictional works of any poet.
  • To be fair, they're both und-

yeah i cant justify this
  • Yeah, what really gets me about this is that we get the Hartford Courant and New York Times and she reads both more or less daily, and both have had pretty basic review articles (especially the Courant, which isn't as sophisticated) on zombies and vampires, respectively, when each got particularly popular in recent years. I'm almost certain of it. And yet somehow, she missed that.

Alternatively, my brain was going "Where the hell were you every Halloween season?! Under a rock?" We get so inundated with typical horror stuff every October that I would think the basic concepts and imagery and whatnot would be hard to avoid.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Confuse shit further; introduce her to the concept of a Lich.
  • Got back from playing Scrabble. My mom was kind of peeved that "ho" counted as a word.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Or an Eidolon.

Nobody knows what the fuck those are for some reason. "durr hurr it's a phantasmal deity / green colored ghost / defending wraith"
  • My mom didn't know what ninja were until just recently.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Mission accomplished.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    My mom didn't know the differences between robots, androids, and cyborgs.
  • You can change. You can.
    My mom knows all these things.

Therefore, my mom is better than all of your moms.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    ^I won't argue that.
  • ^^^^^At least ninja are...y'know, historical. Were real. Are not exactly represented accurately in the pop-culture dimension, but still, they're not mythical or supernatural. I bet she doesn't know much about them either.

^^^I bet even my dad would get those mixed up at first!