If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

No.

edited 2011-08-05 02:01:14 in Meatspace
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    D:
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    D:
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I refuse to believe this actually happened.
  • You can change. You can.
    TL;DR

Laconic version, please? If it's not too much of a bother...

Also, reminds of PVC-1
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Details surrounding the collar bomb scare

The handwritten letter pinned to Madeleine included the name of Dirk Struan, the lead character in the epic historical James Clavell novel Tai-Pan.

The 1966 novel tracks the bitter feud between rival businessmen who "seek to destroy each other in matters of business and personal affairs".

Madeleine's father Bill Pulver is a multi-millionaire international businessman.

Contained in the two-page letter were a series of instructions that directed the teen to make contact with the extortionist via the internet.

Police said the letter, described as coherent but amateurish, is now the most crucial piece of evidence they have to track down who broke into the family home and attached a hoax bomb around Madeleine's neck.

By which I mean...

Somebody broke into this girl's house, pinned a note to her chest, attached a goddamned bomb to her neck and left her with clues as to how to get in touch with them.
    how the hell did that happen? 

Also, calm girl + unlikeliness of the situation leads me to believe that it's a hoax till proven otherwise.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It says in the article that it was a hoax bomb. The question, then, becomes "hoax by the girl or by someone else?"
    The neighbours verified that there were indeed people running away, then theyy drove away at "Above a reasonable speed".

However, there are people from the British Army involved and there are high-ranking police officials, and she was't actually calm, it's stated, just she wasn't panicking.
    Still weird. I mean...it's a bomb. It goes kaboom and it kills you. I'd probably shit my intestines or something.
    I dunno. Different people react differently, you know?

I mean, she might just be into meditation. There are a few possible reasons.
  • Alternately, she panicked and managed to calm down before contacting anyone.
    'twould make sense.
  • Ehh, I don't know if this is a hoax or not, but this has actually happened.
    No, the bomb itself was the hoax. It wasn't a real bomb.
  • edited 2011-08-05 03:28:34
    Belief
    Just me being an idiot.
  • edited 2011-08-05 03:11:40
    Belief
    Doublepost
    Huh?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > They were last night examining the contents of the USB for clues as to
    who would want to harm the pretty, young, private schoolgirl.

I'm sorry to throw cold water on this, but is it too early for me to call a variant of Missing White Woman Syndrome when this line, of all things, is in a news article?

>
    The
    handwritten letter pinned to Madeleine included the name of Dirk
    Struan, the lead character in the epic historical James Clavell novel Tai-Pan.  The
    1966 novel tracks the bitter feud between rival businessmen who "seek
    to destroy each other in matters of business and personal affairs".  Madeleine's father Bill Pulver is a multi-millionaire international businessman.  Contained
    in the two-page letter were a series of instructions that directed the
    teen to make contact with the extortionist via the internet.  Police
    said the letter, described as coherent but amateurish, is now the most
    crucial piece of evidence they have to track down who broke into the
    family home and attached a hoax bomb around Madeleine's neck.

I recently started reading .hack//Another Birth, wherein apparently an MMORPG with real-life medical consequences was based on a little-known epic poem by a fictional author.

Apparently, it's happening in real life too.
    I'm sorry to throw cold water on this, but is it too early for me to call a variant of Missing White Woman Syndrome when this line, of all things, is in a news article?

Go ahead.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "Schoolgirl" implies "young", so that ought to be cut, and "pretty" should rarely EVER appear in a news article.
  • edited 2011-08-06 15:18:17
    Clearly, ugly schoolgirls are at far greater risk of having fake bombs attached to their necks by mysterious intruders.

Gotta say, though, hell of a way to try to get a girl's attention.
  • Glaives are better.

Maybe this is a case of me having sold my empathy to Satan so George Bush won the '00 election, but am I the only one who thinks this is kind of... cool?

I mean, it's like being in a movie. Except instead of Maggie Gyllenhaal being a single mother who's a victim of a terrible conspiracy, it's a schoolgirl, and instead of Clint Eastwood being a retired cop who doesn't play by the rules, it's the media.