If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that being proud of your race is racist.

edited 2011-07-22 19:44:48 in Philosophy
[tɕagɛn]
I'm not sure I follow this. Pride does not require something inferior. It doesn't require a comparison at all. I'm proud to be white. This does not mean I hate other races. It means I'm proud to be white. I view all races equally. I'm just think it's cool that I happened to be white. Now, if I said that I think whites are superior, then we have problems. But that's not what I'm saying--the idea of racial supremacy is absurd and falls in the face of even the weakest real-world data. Expressing this in many places , however, will get you a "GB to the stormfront you racist fuck". I can't even go to Stormfront, I'm a race traitor to them.

Comments

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I feel the idea of getting pride on something you don't have merit on stupid, but I agree with you overall
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Black Pride mother fucker, kill all white men.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't think you should be proud of who you are, at least, when it comes to races, but I think you should be happy with that. 

Pride is an inward directed (feeling) emotion that exemplifies either an inflated sense of one's personal status or the specific mostly positive emotion that is a product of praise or independent self-reflection.

You shouldn't exactly get "an inflated sense of one's personal status" out of something you were born with rather than something you acquired through work or effort.
  • edited 2011-07-22 19:52:05
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    One, guilt by association, a lot of people do it. It's probably best if you keep this sort of thing to yourself.

Two, this is like Straight Pride, people aren't going to take you seriously when you are the "default" in the U.S.
  • Actually, it's more nationalistic, only not about a country.
  • edited 2011-07-22 19:53:45
    It's not, but racial pride movements in the US were born out of a feeling of opression. "white pride" sounds like whites believe they are/were just as oppressed as other minorities.
  • I don't do that, though.

I don't have White Pride because I feel opressed. I have it......because I'm white.
  • Must resist urge to quote Carlin...
    do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it 
  • Just do it anyway.

I don't mind. He's probably making fun of the far-right ones, not the center and left ones such as myself.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I first read that as Caitlin and thought "what does that Pokemon girl have to do with this?"
  • Can't quite remember what he said, just that it was understandable to be happy to be part of a race or nationality, but not to be proud of it. Things to be proud of are things that are your own accomplishments.

You were expecting something funny/offensive, weren't you guys? :D
  • God dammit.

I wanted some classic comedy!
  • a little muffled
    Being proud to be X does imply that being X is better than not being X. Or, at the very least, that people who are X are in some way fundamentally different from people who aren't. (This is why I don't mind gay pride as much as [insert race] pride.)
  • There are some slight physical differences between the races, but nothing that implies superiority of one.

Especially when we all came out of Africa anyway. We're all the same inside, after all.
  • sleep is for the we[e/a]k

I think a large part of this comes from the fact that when it's not pride in one's accomplishments, pride is a reaction to someone telling you that something you do/are is wrong/bad. The "fuck you, I'm proud to be gay/black/hispanic/different" type of pride. The problem with this is it creates a impression of superiority and the majority who aren't repressed feel marginalized because they can't have that same prideful reaction. So anyone who does take "pride" in being the majority is seen as being either insensitive, intolerant or tactless in varying shades.

Personally I find the whole idea of pride as a reaction to be silly and would just opt to not care what others think, but this is not a prevailing sentiment.

• You were born as the race you are.

why do you feel like you accomplished something when really, you had no control over what race you were born as?

I feel pride for winning the lottery.

I feel pride for dead relatives that leave me all their money.

I feel pride for being born with a mind, and a working set of arms and legs
  • a little muffled
    @Chagen:
    There are some slight physical differences between the races, but nothing that implies superiority of one.

Especially when we all came out of Africa anyway. We're all the same inside, after all.
    So why are you proud of
     being white?
  • Because....I'm white.
  • a little muffled
    Yeah, and I'm sitting in a chair.
    Also, aren't you halfblack?

Doesn't that mean you're...mestizo or something?
  • Yeah, but I'm the whitest kid ever.
    That's...that's not particularly logical.

If you were proud of your race, shouldn't you try to celebrate both parts of your heritage?
  • I don't deal with Black people that much. I just...don't feel much for my black side. Probably due to how whitewashed the media is.
  • OutsideTheBauksi,
    Personally I find the whole idea of pride as a reaction to be silly and
    would just opt to not care what others think, but this is not a
    prevailing sentiment.

I pretty much agree with this. I think that acknowledging certain commonalities you have with other people can be good in that it encourages communities and helps people to feel like they belong, but I cannot say that I usually include race as one of them.
    I don't deal with Black people that much.

I don't deal with Colombian people that much, either. Well, I didn't, for most of my life.

I just...don't feel much for my black side

How so?

Probably due to how whitewashed the media is.

Dude, I don't watch anything but American and British stuff. you have like...no excuse.
  • I hate that society has forced me to notice race as the first characteristic of everyone I meet in person. I hate it. I usually to be colour blind (figuratively), like Stephen Colbert's character claims.
  • There axctually does exist black supremacism .
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Somebody post that video of Lewis Black talking about pride.

It's his only act that I've really enjoyed.