If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fighting games

edited 2011-07-12 14:05:59 in Media
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
Why are they popular?

I've tried playing them, and they are impossible. This isn't the "fun" kind of hard. This is the "stupid" kind of hard. I feel as if I'm never getting better. And that's why they're annoying. Because no matter how often I play, I keep sucking. It feels as if I'm not even in control of anything, as if I've hit a brick wall I cannot get past. This isn't fun. This is bullshit.

Especially when the game gets to be brutally difficult in like the second level.

Topic inspired by the endless after-school and summer days spent playing against my older cousin and his friends in every fighting game imaginable and losing again and again and again again and again.

Comments

• playing against my older cousin and his friends in every fighting game imaginable and losing again and again and again again and again.

Did you even like try practicing against the AI first >_>
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I only ever played on Normal because I didn't know how to get better at the game.
  • Okay, this I can actually agree with.

I cannot get better at these games at all. EVER.

I cannot remember combos, I mess up in the heat of the moment and AUGH HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET BETTER AT THESE GAMES
  • You can change. You can.
    Practice. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    And what is practice supposed to teach me?
  • Practice taught me nothing.

NOTHING.
  • It isn't actually necessary to use combos a lot of the time.
  • Hardcore fighters are kind of boring, but shit like Smash Bros. and dicking around with friends on Street Fighter are pretty great.
  • It is if you're like me, and want to be as good as possible.

There's no point to playing a game if you're not slowly grinding up your skills and getting better.
  • edited 2011-07-12 14:17:22
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Most conventional fighting games only require you to know a few types of button combos (QCF+Button, DPM+Button, HCB+Button) to do all the special moves. The rest is research, practice, and I guess a little talent.
  • But I mean the top-level competitive combos that you see in Tournies.

I want to do those.
  • What about blasting noobs out of the water?

(I totally just almost typed boobs.)
  • It is if you're like me, and want to be as good as possible.

I suppose i'm horrible at games if I took that kind of mindset.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    You mean combo video stuff? Those are pretty impractical in actual matches, and even among experts they only really use the shorter ones.

Pro-tip: Anytime you fire up a fighting game, before you do anything, go and beat up the A.I. in Training Mode a little bit. Trust me, it helps A LOT.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    And because of hit decay, it's often better to pull off a shorter combo that you know you can complete than a harder one for slightly more damage.
    Oh, another thing I dislike about fighting games; the absurdly complicated metagame aspect.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Blazblue's the only one I've ever even been passably good at.
  • No rainbow star
    Metaknight goes spinny spinny spinny :3
  • edited 2011-07-12 14:58:10
    The metagame isn't something you need to worry about except at very high-level play.  And if you're at that point, you probably won't mind it so much.

Also I love fighting games (though I'm not very good), but I don't have anyone to play with really (and playing fighting games online is... kind of terrible), so... yeah, that kinda sucks.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I like Smash Bros

LETS ALL EXCHANGE FRIEND CODES
  • You can change. You can.
    I'd do it if I had a wii.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I love fighting games. They're a type of game that takes a specialized skill and focus and a lot of research on moves. Not everyone's thing but I like it.
    I have a Wii, but I don't have Super Smash Bros. Can't find a copy of it anywhere.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Ahem

• edited 2011-07-12 16:06:37
    That show is bizarre.  I kind of like it though.
  • To be or not to be? That is the question.
    I fare well with Fighting Games, but only if they are rather fast paced, like the games Arc System Works made. I can adjust myself to more tactical fighting games, but it's just that I'm more adjusted to the games that are fast in terms of fighting. (Guilty Gear and BlazBlue come to mind.)
  • edited 2011-07-12 19:07:26
    They're somethin' else.
    I like the tactical fighting games. As long as you don't face inescapable rape for making one wrong move while someone annihilates you by forcefeeding you a combo consisting entirely of a flurry of silly little jabs and foot tappings. Bonus points if you're being juggled by said silly jabs and foot taps.
  • edited 2011-07-12 20:17:12
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Hay Schitzo, remember that one thread you made? Good times, man.

@fighting games: I think I was half-decent as Ragna in BlazBlue at some point, but it's been a while since I played that. And I wrecked a couple people in Tekken 3 at band camp once (the university it was held in had an arcade). Which is mostly because they played the game less than I did and chose Kuma because he's a fuckin' bear.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Here's what you need to be good at fighters:

1) a joystick controller. Preferably, one that actually feels like the arcade does (there are a lot--particularly the further back you go--that are just stiff and don't feel like the arcade controls at all). Make sure the buttons are arranged in two even rows (keep SFII controls in mind--even games that don't actually use all those buttons benefit from such a configuration).

2) A Playstation 2 because just about every worthwhile fighter ever was released for this console.

3) All the classic fighters and compilations. As far as I know there are ones for practically every Capcom and SNK game ever made, probably a few others besides.

4) Time, dedication, and the will.

Now, play against the AI, but don't play to win--not at first, anyway. Winning comes to those who learn. What you want to do at first is just practice until you've got the moves down. Then, practice until you know "if I do A the computer will respond with B."

One thing you want to be training yourself to do this entire time, is to keep an eye on your enemy, not your own sprite (I see a lot of newcomers making this mistake). Eventually you get to a point where, within a split-second frame of animation you can tell what he's going to do, and once you get good at that you know how to counter it.

Then start playing against humans. Take to the streets and be a god!

... or just be a whiny crybaby, whatever floats your boat.