If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nobel Prize Winner for Literature does not Consider Women Equal Writers

AHRAHR
edited 2011-07-10 17:33:39 in Meatspace
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summertimefun/vs-naipaul-says-women-writers-arent-as-good-as-men-can-you-tell-the-difference-2492834

Are male writers inherently better than female ones? V.S. Naipaul, the winner of the 2001 Nobel prize for literature, says he's sure that they are.

During an interview at the Royal Geographic Society earlier this week, Naipaul (author of "A House for Mr. Biswas") was asked if he considered any woman writer to be his literary equal. He replied: "I don't think so." Women, he said, have a certain "sentimentality, the narrow view of the world" that makes their writing inferior to that of men. "And inevitably for a woman, she is not a complete master of a house, so that comes over in her writing, too," he added.

Oh, yes he did.

We understand not being able to relate to some writers. And we understand how some people could even find entire genres unappealing. Of Jane Austen, whose work has certainly stood the test of time so far, he said that he "couldn't possibly share her sentimental ambitions, her sentimental sense of the world." So he's not a fan of "Pride and Prejudice" (nor, probably, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"). But that doesn't automatically make all female writers inferior.

Naipaul also said: "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not." 

Comments

• Naipaul also said: "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not." 

I think he's been reading too much yaoi fanfiction.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not

Time to troll this guy.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-10 17:38:20
    The original article actually tells a slightly different story.

I don't think it's much better, though.

VS Naipaul, no stranger to literary spats and rows, has done it again. This time, the winner of the Nobel prize for literature has lashed out at female authors, saying there is no woman writer whom he considers his equal – and singling out Jane Austen for particular criticism.

In an interview at the Royal Geographic Society on Tuesday about his career, Naipaul, who has been described as the "greatest living writer of English prose", was asked if he considered any woman writer his literary match. He replied: "I don't think so." Of Austen he said he "couldn't possibly share her sentimental ambitions, her sentimental sense of the world".

He felt that women writers were "quite different". He said: "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not. I think [it is] unequal to me."

The author, who was born in Trinidad, said this was because of women's "sentimentality, the narrow view of the world". "And inevitably for a woman, she is not a complete master of a house, so that comes over in her writing too," he said.

He added: "My publisher, who was so good as a taster and editor, when she became a writer, lo and behold, it was all this feminine tosh. I don't mean this in any unkind way."

The criticism from the author is unsurprising. Naipaul is no stranger to criticism. In the past Naipaul has criticised India's top female authors for their "banality" on the topic he is best known for writing about, the legacy of British colonialism.

He also had a long-running feud with US travel writer and author Paul Theroux.

Their 30-year friendship came to a sudden end, after Theroux discovered that a book he gave Naipaul had been put on sale for £916. The comments were dismissed by the Writers Guild of Great Britain, which said it would not "waste its breath on them". Literary journalist Alex Clark said: "Is he really saying that writers such as Hilary Mantel, AS Byatt, Iris Murdoch are sentimental or write feminine tosh?"

Literary critic Helen Brown described them as "arrogant, attention-seeking".He should heed the words of George Eliot – a female writer – whose works have had a far more profound impact on world culture than his."

• At first I thought the article was from the 18th century.
  • Oh snap, they got a hold of Rott's time machine?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Well I'd say his viewpoint is to be expect looking at his cultural upbringing.
    He is Trinidadian British.

Trinidad and tobago are not great for progressive views of women, in a similar way that Jamaica isn't great for progressive views of homosexuality.

It doesn't make it acceptable though, just more understandable.
  • The understandable thing because cringe worthy, considering he won a nobel frikking prize. Yeah, yeah, I know, personal beliefs shouldn't affect one's judgement of quality, ad hominem and all that, but fuck him!
    Did he just trash Jane Austen?

As in, the first author to write a love story that I actually enjoyed?

Oh, he's so getting it now.
  • "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not."

Raise your hand if you immediately thought of fanfiction...  >_>
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yeah, I am with AHR on this.

It's pretty disgusting that someone so clearly and overwhelmingly sexist could win a Nobel Prize in 2001.
  • Bee: I thought of the literature thread where I got it from, actually. The one devoted to debating about whether males or females write differently or not.

Well, I'll just have to continue with writing my shirtless-guy fight fest and prove the bastard wrong. /goal.
    I'm not.
    He won his prize for literature and literature alone.
    I don't agree with his views on women though.
    Well, the Nobel Prize committee hasn't always avoided doing stupid things; they gave a peace prize to Barack Obama merely for being elected president despite being black and having a funny name.
    As if there's an objective, technical standard for literature that doesn't relate to social context.

That's the thing with art.
  • edited 2011-07-10 17:47:27
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I don't know,the guy is a piece of shit, but I don't think his beliefs should interfiere with him winning a prize based on artistic talent. If he won the Peace Nobel then I would be offended

Dem ninjas
  • I'm not too concerned about this, just like some people still think is inferior, people with limited and narrow views of the world aroud them will always exist.
  • I guess it's something I take personally.

Someone walking up to you and saying "Hey, you know that thing, that thing you work really hard at, and dream about doing for your life? Well, here's someone, they are not only way better than you, but they won a Nobel Prize for it, and they go against everything you believe in :D"
    The best way to counter anything like this would be changing the culture of trinidad and tobago to one with different views on 'masculinity' and therefore 'femininity'.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-07-10 17:55:30
    AHR: I dunno, shirtless men usually make me think it's a woman writer until other evidence shows up.

Maybe if you give them flaming motorcycle swords it'd throw my radar off a bit :D

But yeah, by all means the dude's kind of an ass.
  • Bee: Well, I'm not trying to show off masculinity, I'm trying to disprove that...femininey, sentimentality...stuff.
    Flaming motorcycle swords.
  • edited 2011-07-10 17:58:04
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    @AHR ;
    I don't mean to sound uncaring or anything, but maybe just don't take it personally.

'Hey, you know that thing, that thing you work really hard at, and dream about doing for your life? Well, here's someone, they are not only way better than you, but they won a Nobel Prize for it, and they go against everything you believe in :D" '

Just because someone is good at something doesn't mean their views will align with yours, neither does it make their/ your views more/less valid.
    The only reason they are good at what they do is their skill in what they do?

I'm not sure if that makes sense?
  • It's ok though AHR, just look at it like a statistics question.

It's akin to saying Blacks have lower IQs, even if this were true{hypothetically}, so long as there exists a black person with a high IQ, then you can't use the information to make day-to-day judgements in any meaningful way.

Stereotypes are just bad data polls. you can't realistically use them in any way.

I remember when I was young, I heard Women are worse scientist then men.
  • Look, Eliezer Yudkowsky said that being a racist because pseudo-scientists told you to be one is perfectly fine because it'll all be fixed come the Rapture the Singularity anyway.
  • There's a difference between having a statistically observed tendency to show certain traits (often due to external circumstances), and a natural affinity to show certain traits.  Neither is sufficient excuse to be a sexist douchewaddle anyway.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-10 19:53:14
    Thump
  • edited 2011-07-10 19:53:28
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Thump
  • edited 2011-07-10 19:53:42
    Thump
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Yoooooooooooooo.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-10 19:54:12
    Nvm.