If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who get incredibly butthurt over anime being dubbed.

edited 2011-07-02 20:17:23 in Webspace
[tɕagɛn]
Why do we always see this?

>Anime gets licensed with chance of dub

>half of people going FUCK YEAH

>Other half is buttmad wapanese/weaboos/idiots going "BAWWW DUBS SUCK Y DEY DO DIS, completely ignoring that they could shut the fuck up and watch it subbed.

Ugh. Why, oh why does this happen?

Comments

• edited 2011-07-02 20:21:52
    Maybe they're time travelers from before the DVD format caught on?

That said, you can still complain about something even if you don't intend to watch it.
  • When you have to option to completely ignore it, and watch the show in the original Japanese, without any extra effort besides pushing a few buttons to change the audio, complaining about it is just plain asinine.
  • edited 2011-07-02 20:29:18
    Loser
    While I cannot say I totally understand negative reactions to the mere mention that something will be dubbed into English, I guess in some cases having an English dub increases the price of a DVD box set. I imagine that it also increases the time it takes to produce a DVD because of the English dub track.

I am not sure that people who have problems with English dub tracks on DVDs tend to have those reasons though.
  • edited 2011-07-02 20:39:25

You could argue that bad dubs give anime a bad image, and that's why they're pissed off and, in their minds, ignoring it won't make the problem any better.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    If anything, people bitching constantly about dubs give anime an even worse image.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    To be fair, a great deal of American perceptions about anime have been influenced by bad dubs to some degree.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Bitching about it is a form of drip-down feedback, too.

While I think it's often too much, bad dub should be rightly criticised.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Bad dubs are bad. But Funimation dubs are awesome.
  • edited 2011-07-02 21:11:33
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >>weeaboo

Stop using that word.

OT: For some people, a bad dub will retroactively ruin their enjoyment of a show. Which is stupid.

Some people might think it might make the show more popular and less cool. Which is stupid.

Might drive up the price of DVDs. Slightly less stupid, but still.
  • Thou hast darkened the name of thine own, thou shall naught be shown mercy for thine crimes!

Alas! the wrath of the gods will surely sway in my favor.
  • ^^Only weeaboos do that anyway.
  • edited 2011-07-03 09:07:23
    Honestly, this is not very prevalent at all. I sometimes hear about the mythical people who apparently gets so but-hurt over the thought of there being an entirely optional choice of changing the audio of anime on a DVD, but I have yet to actually meet a single one. That is not to say that there aren't a lot of stupid arguments between people who prefer subs and people who prefer dubs, but I honestly see about equal amounts of stupid from both sides. Stuff like,  "everyone who prefer dubs are a bunch of xenophobic, culturally insensitive jackasses who'd rather forget that what they're watching is from Japan"  or "Everyone who prefer subs are a bunch of weeaboo, sycophant ,japanophile assholes, with delusions of snobbish grandeur". And yeah some people will complain endlessly about a dub getting made, instead of shutting up about it, but I've rarely seen them say that it should be omitted from the DVD.  I don't know, I guess I just don't read enough stupid "dub-vs-sub" debates anymore. : p
  • What about when the DVD doesn't have both audiotracks? I was never able to find the box set of the middle portion of Gurren Lagann, so I had to settle for some cheapass DVD that only had the Japanese audio.

Then again, the Gurren Lagann dub wasn't really up to snuff, so no love lost there.
  • I believe the solution to that is wearing an eyepatch and sailing a stolen ship undercover to get the goods.
  • "To be fair, a great deal of American perceptions about anime have been influenced by bad dubs to some degree."

I suppose I can see it in Speed Racer dub parodies (Mojo Jojo, for example), but for more modern dubs, I often find that the original version of the anime isn't really much better than the dub version despite people claiming otherwise.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Bad dubs are mostly a thing of the past.  The still viewable past of people's nostalgic childhoods, but still, the past.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Of course, bad dubs are not necessarily restricted to anime.

See: Pinocchio 
  • I was really butthurt over the Yu-Gi-Oh dub.
  • edited 2011-07-03 13:21:07

>Bad dubs are mostly a thing of the past.

That's what I thought too until I saw the recent Clannad dub.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Mostly.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, dubs as a whole have definitely improved.

Though when they're bad, Jesus Christ are they bad.