If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Most people only use 10% of their brain

edited 2011-06-29 21:58:41 in Philosophy

I hate motivational speaker cliches.

(As to whether this is true; Hint: there's a reason this is in philosophy rather than meatspace)

Comments

• Even if this were true, I seriously doubt you could use more of your brain just by willing it.
  • So, basically, 90% of my brain is vestigial, and if I wanted, I could amputate it without problems? Awesome!

-amputates 90% of my brain, then goes to a death metal concert-

• If it were 100 percent all your synapses would be firing, and you would be completely unable to understand what your brain is telling you, let alone retain your sanity.
  • Synapses don't fire; synapses are spaces. Neurons fire.

Besides that, I don't think there's any way to interpret that statement that makes it literally true. Not 100% of the neurons in your brain are firing all the time, but it's much more than 10%.
  • The brain is the most energy intensive organ. 90% of the brain being vestigal would be a kick in evolution's balls.
  • edited 2011-06-29 22:03:47
    doublepost
  • edited 2011-06-29 22:11:11

"Even if this were true, I seriously doubt you could use more of your brain just by willing it."

I am annoyed with the "Wanting it bad enough" notion motivational speakers constantly push (while downplaying the combination of effort, opportunity, and luck necessary for success), but this is the worst for being a critical research failure.

The only "motivational speaker" I actually found motivating was the ninja in Angry Video Game Nerd.

• edited 2011-06-29 22:45:02
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    It's a bullshit myth that "psychics" propagate. Clearly the only reason it still gets believed in the US is that there's so many dumb kids who never paid attention in biology.

10% of your brain. HA. It would still be ludicrously fallacious to say 'Most people don't use up to 10% of their brain'
  • Most people use this phrase to motivate people to learn,

If it wasn't based on bad science, then I would've said it's harmless

right now though, It's mostly harmless.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I knew a guy once who used 100% of his brain for cognitive thought.

He died when every other process in his body shut down.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I've synced my brain up to the cloud. I only use about ten percent of it at a time.

The things I have seen cannot be unseen.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    That just gave me an image of someone outsourcing all their bodily processes to an external computer, freeing 100% of their brain.

it sounded less stupid in my head
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    But then, you'd have to put the computer you used under some tight security, lest you have someone assume direct control of your bodily functions...
  • Glaives are better.

If I cloned my body, I'd 

1) Make out with myself

and

2) Clone myself enough to sway any election in my favor.

Dread the glorious bisexual Hatter bloc.

• You can change. You can.
    ^And this is why nukes where invented.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ LOL VOTER FRAUD

Also, I only use about 5% of my house.

At any given time.
  • I'll rent out that 90% of my brain I don't use to store people's unpleasant memories. I'll make a killing!