If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Perfect Worlds

edited 2011-06-29 18:24:34 in Philosophy

Why do people obsess over these purely hypothetical realms? Most of the time, people don't plan to make heaven a place on Earth, but instead use them to project everything they think is wrong with their current existence. Also, different people's visions tend to be incompatible with each other. I cannot understand what it accomplishes to think about what would happen "in a perfect world." Then again, what I think is that in a perfect world, I wouldn't exist.

Comments

• In a perfect world, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • It's used as one of those retroactive statements to make your argument seem better.

"I hate democracy because democrats suck and they ruin the economy."

"In a perfect world, we wouldn't have democracy or democrats"

The statement above that should now seem much more informed to the untrained eye.
  • ^ Strange; if you take the second quote as a response to the first quote, it takes on a whole different meaning, like "in a perfect world, we wouldn't have democracy because we wouldn't need it, but the world isn't perfect, and democracy is the best we've got, so we're stuck with it."
  • In a perfect world, we wouldn't have geese period.
  • What about an impossible possible world?