If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Baby as a term of endearment

edited 2011-06-19 02:16:16 in General
I'm a damn twisted person
Like seriously, how did this get to be a way of expressing to a loved one that you like them? I mean calling them baby brings up the whole infant association, so it's like you're calling them a whiny helpless person. Or at best cute, but why not just call them cute without using a word that doesn't bring over a creepy infantalization implication?

Comments

• I was more under the impression that it was speaking to someone you wanted to have a child with.

I suppose it's used a lot of the time for other purposes though, seemingly.
  • I really don't mind it.

But then again, I gain pleasure from acting like a baby, so I'm not represenative of most people.
  • It's best not to concern yourself much with the literal meanings of idioms.

^
  • I think it's used to show unconditional love.
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    Unconditional love huh? That makes it even worse, associating that horribly frightening concept with the word.
  • Some people LIKE being so in love with someone that there isn't a thing that can change that.

(Course, having actually spelled that out, it does seem quite scary! Though I suppose if it's two way unconditional love then it isn't so bad.)
  • They're somethin' else.
    INB4 Daddy

INB4 Stick it in me daddy

• I really don't mind it.

But then again, I gain pleasure from acting like a baby, so I'm not represenative of most people.
    What pleasure is there to be found in being helpless and at mercy to the whims of people vastly above you?
  • Ask a Christian?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Crake, I'm noticing that one of your things is resilience towards the concept of subjectivity. Sorry I couldn't work that better, because I'm not meaning to be inflammatory or mean or anything, but it's like you've got an idea about some things and you consider it a personal challenge when others have come to different conclusions.
    Well duh. I'm just not content to go "Well people differ from me, time to stop asking questions." I want people to explain some of the appeal to me at least.
  • I dislike most things that remind me of children, so I never got this either. I don't have any problem with other couples using them though. 

Same thing with "Babe"
  • $80+ per session
    Babies are cute.

/thread
  • *gets remind of Mai-Chan's Daily Life*

Anyhow, I find the term a tad cheesy through overuse, making it always sound insincere when someone uses it.
  • And, this probably has not helped the term:

• "What pleasure is there to be found in being helpless and at mercy to the whims of people vastly above you? "

....Have you never heard of BDSM?
  • edited 2011-06-19 11:06:58
    It mostly bugs me in its overuse in shitty pop songs. At one point I contemplated having the word banned. Then I remembered that would exclude Bohemian Rhapsody.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: "baby" appearing everywhere in pop songs

no, actually...
    IJBM: "babeh"

You don't know how annoying that word is.  Not "baby", but "babeh".

Incidentally...
    IJBM: People complain about lolicon but don't have an objection to calling attractive women or women who are the object of romantic interest "baby" or "babe".
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

It's a highly obscure sexual subculture that appeals to a group of people with very, very specific turn-ons that is generally a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing to use a model for relationships, unless both parties are getting off on it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's probably among the least obscure of fetishes, along with foot fetishism.

I would count breast fetishism as even less obscure but unfortunately most people don't even see it as a fetish.
    Babies are cute.

/thread

Yes but you don't want to fuck them.

Yeah chummer. It's like the go to gag fetish for easy deviancy in mainstream media. I just think the whole domination/submission aspects of it are really silly and don't get the appeal.
  • "Yes but you don't want to fuck them."