If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Man up"

edited 2011-02-06 13:16:03 in General
For some reason I am bothered by a lot of what is "masculine".

Comments

• Yeah, it was a shitty TVTropes topic too.
  • Was?

-checks to see if the thread still exists-

Son of a bitch...

• This thread isn't about the thread, you smart-alecks. :P

(Though really, it isn't)
  • edited 2011-02-06 13:30:01

It is now! :D

The people who post in that thread are seriously obsessed.

• I don't know how it got so big. IJBM somehow became populated with Yack Fest-esque megathreads in its last two months or so.
  • edited 2012-07-22 16:43:05

• Anonus,
    For some reason I am bothered by a lot of what is "masculine".
    Well, to be fair, I do not think a lot of what is considered "feminine" is much better if it even is at all. This is probably blatantly obvious, but I think the key thing is for people to do things because that is what they want to do, not because doing it is what is expected of a man or a woman.

I feel like encouraging the latter type of behavior kind of restricts individualism and disrespects the fact that people are different and do not always fit into perfect little categories. Of course, even as I say this, I realize that some people act in a way that is socially acceptable just because they do not want to deal with what might happen if they acted against traditional gender roles.

• Yeah, lets turn every guy I meet into a Wannabe Clint Eastwood or guido douchebag who can't even shit about letting the girl be on top, let alone understand feelings or delicacy of certain topics. Let's just let them all be fuckfaced edgy blunt John Wayne clones that think hitting you when you get annoying is okay, regardless if it hurts or lot. Let's just let them beat the shit out of the traps and the weaker guys who want to show interest in anything, period, and value tanned greased-up muscles or facial stubble and cigars over a decent personality that doesn't make you want to fucking stab them.
  • Nice one, Tnoph.
  • Interestingly, I find the first page of that thread to be more interesting discussion material than anything else that transpired there.
  • edited 2011-02-06 16:46:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^Hm. I would have posted that CMOA icon, but we don't have it here. So instead I'm just telling you that I would totally do that if I could.
  • You know what's weird? I want to talk about gender, but never know how to start any sort of discussion about it.

(Probably not the best phrasing here)
  • Mostly because of people crossing gender lines and being defensive about everything and playing the "sexist card", when they shouldn't.

You are not a girl yet. Stay out of girl affairs until you complete the transition.
  • But I'm not trying to make a transition!
  • You know what's weird? I want to talk about gender, but never know how to start any sort of discussion about it.

I feel the same way. Sometimes I have to stop myself from bumping the Gender thread in YF with whatever random gender-related thought pops into my head.
  • I want to have a discussion about gender but I have no opinions about it.

FML
  • I have some opinions on it, mainly that gender roles are too rigidly enforced.

But yeah, let's go out for drinks and wash away our sorrows!
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Dammit, I really miss being able to drink after going to Europe last summer.
  • edited 2011-02-06 23:21:51
    Cue-bey
    I have to say, having your first drink at 13 is way better than being unable to walk after a single beer at 18.
  • edited 2011-02-06 23:23:19
    ^^^You're not either!

^And neither are you!
  • Not all of us interested in gender want to change our own :}
  • Oh my goodness, huge ninja. That was in response to Tnoph's post awhile back.
  • edited 2011-02-07 09:02:34
    Cue-bey
    "^And neither are you!"

When have I said my real age?

And I have seen it happen. It's always funny.
    I've seen it happen in a non-funny way. I was going to tell a girl I liked her, but she got so drunk from two glasses of wine I would have felt bad trying. And now I haven't been in contact with her for months.
  • ^ bad INUH. The best time to see if they like you is when they are drunk. That way they can't lie to you.
    Well, she said she loved me, but I'm not sure if she meant in a friendly way or an "I love you guys" way.
  • Being drunk just shows how people truly are.
  • edited 2011-02-07 10:22:05
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yes, but does saying "I love you guys" to three of our female friends
    and me and then later saying "you're a really good friend. I love you"
    to me mean that she considers me a good platonic friend or a love
    interest or what?

Not that it matters. I've moved on and haven't seen her in months...