If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When people enjoy doing things they are clearly bad at

2»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Then why do they keep doing it if they are so bothered by it?

Because they are mature enough to realize that when they keep doing it, they'll be better at it.
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    So far I've been lead to believe they don't care about that. Make up your minds people.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Hint: people are different. :P

And again, better to do something you suck at than sit around being lame.
  • I can understand this as long as they can move forward with the game they are playing or whataver, by button mashing or something.

Then there's those people you wonder why even bought the game when they can't win the demo.
  • edited 2011-06-14 16:38:32
    You can change. You can.
    ^^^ Some of us do, some of us don't. some of us do care some of the time, some of don't care some of the time. If you're looking for consistency, you shouldn't be looking at people. 
  • ITT: IJBM that people are different.
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    No, that's fairly spot on. It's just that I can't figure out the why that is bugging me.
  • edited 2011-06-16 17:56:31
    I'm not saying they can only enjoy things they are instantly good at. But enjoying them before they get good is very bizarre to me. The enjoyment can come after the practice has pulled in some real results.

So at first you practise without having any fun, or enjoyment, without liking what you are doing?
    Why do you stick to it, then?

But really how do people not feel like foolish jackasses when they go up in karaoke and sing poorly, or dance uncoordinatedly (...) or going out to play a sport they are no good at? What lets them ignore the obvious failings and have fun at it?
    Edited out what I don't do.

Well, for me, dancing, and singing is about having a party and having fun.
    So being successful at it MEANS having fun.
    "Only" being good at it, like you sing at karaoke, and you sing really well, but you have no fun, you don't interact, you don't fool around.... them are not the winners of that game, in my eyes.
    In my eyes the person who has the most fun wins, if I had to give score.

Reguarding dancing, often I find it's the people who are too inhibited to dance well themselves (they are to stiff to really move, they just dance a little bit, afraid to look stupid if they dance harder) that will critise other people's dancing styles the most.

Karaoke is not about technical prowess, it's about being fun and smooth. In fact often karaoke is more a tournament of self-assurance and ability to have fun even while making a fool of oneself than of singing, because karaoke is somehwat synonym of making a fool of yourself.
    A person who has the guts to sing alone, without hiding behind some friends, AND has fun doing it, even (or especially) if she is bad, wins the game in my eyes.

I just give points for different achievement than you, I guess? If I had to give points. Mostly, I don't.

Sports is just the same, often it's about running arount and having fun with your friend.
    So you suck at a sport, will you be the kill-joy who tells "Noooo I won't play with you" because you are afraid of embarrassing yourself?
    One can just face the fact than one is not so good at it ans still accept the invitation to play and have fun at it.