If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Directing vs Acting: THE HOLLYWOOD BATTLE BITCHES

Comments

• $80+ per session
    Nolan is probably my favorite director. I look up to him for a big part of my movie making inspiration.
  • Western actors I know...

Samuel L. Jackson

Jack Black

Brad Pitt

Johnny Depp

Zac Efron (though this is really only because I looked up who he is after I heard that he looked like Light Yagami)

Morgan Freeman

Jim Carrey

Arnold Schwarznegger

Shia LaBeouf

I don't think I remember anyone else.
  • You can change. You can.
    I understand for Juan, but I'm surprised you can name so few actors.

To be honest, I could list way much more actors. But that's because the radio from director to actors (Whether they are famous or not) is big on the actors side.

I mean, the Dark Knight has one famous director and about twelve famous cast members. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I don't care about the actors.
    That seems rather...harsh. 

• $80+ per session
    I tnought of a movie idea that would try to break the record of A-list and B-list actors appearing in one movie, all with multiple lines, but making a movie based around a gimmick good is hard.
  • $80+ per session
    Everyone from the director, to the actors to the best boy is important.
    I tnought of a movie idea that would try to break the record of A-list and B-list actors appearing in one movie, all with multiple lines, but making a movie based around a gimmick good is hard.

If we're talking good, the record is holden by the Magnificent Seven, I think. Although, IIRC, that movie made the whole cast famous, so it may not count.
  • $80+ per session
    Yeah, I mean already A-list. Also, a majority of them would play roles, not themselves, if any at all played themselves.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I keep misreading the title as HOLLYWOOD BATTLE BRITCHES.

This is relevant and you all needed to know this.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That seems rather...harsh.

It's how I feel. I care about the directors. I care about the scriptwriters, I care about the cameramen. I care about the people who make the movie, not the people who visually emote it.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I would argue that actors make the movie just as much as, or more than, the cameramen.
    I would argue that it's not the charisma I care about, but the technical stuff.
  • $80+ per session
    If you didn't have the actors, the director would have no one to tell what to do, the script would have no one to speak it, and the cameramen would have no one to shoot.
    But actors are replacable.

Honestly, I'd rather care about the cameras themselves, but I have to make do with the cameramen.
  • $80+ per session
    Um...actors are replacable?

Tell that to Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump. Heath Ledger as The Dark Knight. Hell, tell it to Shia Lebouf as Sam Witwicky!
  • $80+ per session
    Heath Ledger as The Joker*
    ^ Not that he was one of the ones I remembered when I was reminded of him.

I should say the vast majority of actors are replacable.

As are many scriptwriters, directors and cameramen. But I notice them a lot better.
  • $80+ per session
    Strange, since you don't see them. I just think you're being stupidly harsh.
    I don't have to see them to see their work.
  • $80+ per session
    And you can't see the good work actors do?
    -shrug-

I see the landscape. That's the cameramen. I hear their words. Thats the scriptwriters.

Its' only a rare few actors that manage to compel me through their actors. They're the memorable ones.
  • $80+ per session
    That's a damn shame. It sucks that there are people who probably agree with you.
    There are many more who would disagree with me. I am the odd one out, I know.

I don't really get invested in the characters, though. I get invested in the world and the story.
  • $80+ per session
    Without the characters, there is no story or world.
    Just because they're there doesn't mean I'm going to be invested in them.
  • $80+ per session
    The world is "just there". The story is "just there".
    And there are plenty of them I'm not invested in, either. They're called "Movies I don't watch because they bore me".

I can watch a movie without caring about the characters. I can follow a story without caring about the characters beyond their interactions with the story at large.
  • edited 2011-06-12 07:02:44
    You can change. You can.
    But actors are replacable.

Just came here to say "no" 

And that acting is far, far harder than photography. Photography at least has a technical aspect. You can at least learn and harness it in an easy fashion. Acting? Not so much.

Not only that, but, well, tell me that when you start filming an amateur film. Finding a cameraman is easy, fiding twelve cast members who repeat the lines with the same inflection and emotional that you visualized when you wrote a script. 

Of course, I can see how not caring about acting in a movie and being able to look past it is an opinion and is acceptable, but calling them replaceable? That's....well, that's one of those things that I can never take seriously. 

ETA: Also, actors tend to be as involved in the writing, creation of a movie during rehearsals as the screenwright and the directos. In fact, movies like Spinal Tap and Ghostbusters could easily be said to be written by the actors, but not by the directors themselves. 
    Of course, I can see how not caring about acting in a movie and being able to look past it is an opinion and is acceptable, but calling them replaceable?

If you don't care about the acting, then they are replacable to you. 'coz you'd enjoy or dislike the movie just as much no matter who the actors are.