If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I keep forgetting my ideas for a Pokemon game.

edited 2011-06-09 02:15:02 in Webspace
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
GAH

Two threads in one night, three in 24 hours SHOOT ME

Sorry. Needed a place to write these down.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    > Important one- Move Experience. Basically, the more you use a move the better it gets.
  • So like stat grinding?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No- it happens independently of how much you actually use it. Running around spamming Blast Burn won't work.

Rather, it would keep track of how often you use it in comparison to other moves, and levels it accordingly at some indeterminate point.
    Say, for example, I have a Level 5 Torchic.

I progress through the game, and advance to Level 10. It sees I've used;

Scratch- 22 times;

Growl, 12 times;

Focus Energy, 2 times.

It would give 4EXP towards Scratch, 3 towards Growl, and 1 towards Focus Energy.

Scratch's power would increase. Not its' move power- but at, say, Move Level 3 it would gain a slight- 5%- chance to cause a flinch if it does over 20% damage to a Mon.

Growls' power would increase. The Attack would drop by 1.2 times more than it used to. If used on a Pokemon 20 levels below you or more, it would have the same effect as a Roar attack would.
  • Ah.
    It would also make random encounters more challenging.
    Ideas for Move effects:

Tackle- Chance of Flinching. May help learning Headbutt and/or Take Down.

Growl- Lowers attack by more (1.2, 1.5, 1.8). If opponent is a Wild Pokemon and is 20 levels or more below yours, has the same effect as a Roar attack. Has a 5% chance of causing Flinch at highest level.

Vine Whip- Increased chance of Critical Hits. May be required for Frenzy Plant.

Poison Powder- Accuracy Increases. Stronger poisons at high Level (5% damage, 7% damage, 10% damage.) Lowers Defence when affects enemies.

Sleep Powder- Accuracy increases. Sleep lasts for longer (from 1-3 turns, to 3-5.) Harder for Pokemon to wake up early.

Take Down- Increased chance of Critical Hits. Recoil increases, but damage increases disproportionately.

Scratch- Increased chance of Critical Hits. May be used as Cut outside of battle?

Ember- Increased chance of Burning (To 30% at highest level). Weakens the power of the next water-type hit unless the field has been affected by a Water-type fied effect (E.G. Drizzle or Water Sport).

SmokeScreen- Increased Accuracy loss (1.2, 1.5, 1.8) Has a slight chance to Poison at highest Level (5%).

Dragon Rage- Damage Increases (45, 50, 55, 60.) May be required for Outrage?

Tail Whip- Increased Defence loss (1.3, 1.5, 1.8) At high levels, may do a very small amount of damage (About 1/3rd of a Tackle.)

Bubble- Increased Speed Loss (1.1, 1.3, 1.5) 

Withdraw- Increased Defence (1.2, 1.3, 1.8)  Defence increases against Physical attacks (.5, 1, 1.5)

Bite- Increased chance of Critical hit. Increased chance of Flinching (10%, 15%, 20%) May be required for Crunch.
  • Cygan, I utterly despise that I'm afraid to say. 

Pokemon is complicated enough as is without adding something like that. If anything it needs a rebalancing of the Type Chart. Poison and Ice in particular get totally shafted. 
  • edited 2011-06-09 18:33:05
    If that don't work, use more gun.
    Not really.  Rock is a great attacking type.  Poison is nice defensively.  Ice though, definitely needs help.
    I shall work on this soon, then.

Meanwhile shoppinh bye
    Hmmm...

So the types are;

Normal, Ghost, Psychic, Fighting, Dark, Steel, Bug, Ice, Fire, Grass, Water, Poison, Flying, Rock, correct?
  • edited 2011-06-10 01:12:54
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ Dragon, electric, ground
  • edited 2011-06-10 01:14:13
    I'm a damn twisted person
    You missed ground and electric and dragon. But it's okay, we all hate stunfisk.

Apparently Fozare's posts have increased priority.
    Dragon, electric and ground.

What are the main roles of each again?

I know Grass is best at health absorption/inflicting statuses, while usually not having so much defense and attack.

Rock is really really good at physical defence, while usually being paired up with Ground which is really really good at physical attack.

What else?
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    Electric is good for attacking, usually speed and special and it can hit the very common water and flying types. Factor in that it only has one weakness(ground) which be neutralized with levitate(hi thar Eelektross) or magnet rise and you have a decent defense.

Ground is good for offense because of Earthquake which is one of the best moves in the game.

Dragon is good for being hax and having moves that few pokemon are resistant to.
    Dragon type needs to be toned down, then, I take it?

Steel is better for defence than Rock, but is hurt by the ridiculously common Fire, Water and Electric types. It resists Grass and all Normal-type-type attacks, though, so it's good in them situations.

Bug needs a bit of a revamp, to make it relevant outside of the Level 1-30 zone.

Psychic, Dark, Fighting and Ghost all need a bit of a look at.

Ice is pointless. For this one, I was actually thinking of making it the special-attack version of Rock; ridiculously high Special Defence and HP, but only average Special Attack, and a low Attack and Defense stat. Speed dependent on the Mon. Outside of that- typing-wise, I was thinking; strong against Bug, Grass, Rock, Dragon, and Electric, while being weak to Fire, Ground, Steel and Ghost.

Mon-wise, Ice would also be paired up more commonly with Ghost-type Pokemon.

Um... Fighting is just eh, I guess.

Normal type is just average, I take it? Maybe I should look at how Fighting compares to Normal-types.
    Normal type is actually pretty good. It only has one weakness and an immunity to ghost types. Tend to have good defensive stats.

Fighting is a great attack type since it can take out steel, dark, rock and ice.

As for bug type, standouts like Scyther, Scizor, Galvantula and Heracross are incredibly useful past level 30.

Go to the link in the side bar to get a decent run down of each types pros/cons

Normal types, however, also don't do very well against Rock and Steel types, don't forget.

They seem to usually have a good HP, Attack and Defense stat.

I think Snorlax is a good idea of how Normal types should be. Not exactly huge stats, but they act as meat shields- able to survive a few tough hits, whether due to high HP or high Defence, or even both. They also know fairly powered moves to make up for their fairly low Attack, but these come at a price, like sacrificing your next turn or taking damage yourself in turn.

Fighting is good, I see. OK, I won't touch it.

Bug type has a few standouts. By and large, however, without the advantage of an above-average stat spread, they're not very useful.

I'm actually looking at moves like Fury Cutter, String Shot, Parayzing moves and Poison-type moves, for bugs.
    Then again, I could be wrong about the Normal type.

I've usually found Snorlax, Ursaring and Tyranitar to be the only good ones, though -shrug-
  • Glaives are better.

I have an idea.

How about, instead of Pokemon, the trainers collect Saiyans, and must train them so that their Power Levels surpass 9000. And it all incorporates stealth elements from the Thief series.

I'd play that game.

Tyranitar is a rock/dark type though... But anyways you're overlooking Blissey(or eviolited Chansey) Porygon 2 and Z  for strong normal types.
    Tyranitar is?

It would explain why I found him so useful...

I have never used Porygon 2/Z and Blissey.

-looks up Blissey-

Blissy is exactly the type of Pokemon I am talking about!
  • Cygs. 

I think you should stop.

Because you should make you're own mon game instead. o3o
    But Pokemon already has a base!

If I did that, I'd have to come up with ~200 'mons of my own.

And I suck at naming. So I'd have to pay someone to name them all for me.
    Dammit, AHR. Now that idea is bugging me.
    -sigh-

Great. Thanks.

The idea has burrowed into my head.

Alright. I guess I'm designing my own Mon game, then.
  • D: I AM SORREH
    Nah, I'm just teasing you.

This has suddenly become a lot more work, though.
    So far, for ideas for Typing, I have:

> Dark: Good against Sera, Light; Takes extra damage from Light.

> Oceanic: Good against Flying, Beast, Fire, Stone; takes extra damage from Grass and Ice.

> Sera: Good against Fire, Infernal; takes extra damage from Dark, Infernal and Beast.

> Stone: Good against Beast, Fire, Wind; takes extra damage from Oceanic, Grass and Ice.

> Infernal: Good against Sera; takes extra damage from Sera and Light; Immune to Dark.

> Fire: Good against Beast, Ice, Dark  and Grass; takes extra damage from Stone, Sera, Oceanic and Wind.

> Light; Good against Dark and Infernal;  immune to Grass and Sera.

> Beast: Good against Grass and Sera; takes extra damage from Fire, Oceanic, Infernal, Stone and Flying.

> Ice: Good against Oceanic, Stone and Flying; takes extra damage from Fire.

> Flying: Good against Grass, Beast; takes extra damage from Ice, Oceanic and Wind.

> Wind: Good against Flying, Grass; takes extra damage from Fire.

> Grass: Good against Stone, Oceanic; takes extra damage from Fire, Beast, Flying and Wind; Immune to Light.