If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hedonistic beliefs

edited 2011-05-29 21:34:49 in Philosophy
~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
Specifically, when a person is willing to turn a blind eye to truth because truth is painful to look at. As a non-serious example, imagine that it is discovered that every time a human being takes a step, they destroy countless billions of civilizations, ala Horton hears a who. In such a scenario, the only optimal decision would be for every human to take their life in order to spare an astronomical number of lives. However, I suspect that an enormous number of people would simply turn a blind eye, or pretend that the evidence isn't there.

As a more realistic example, I suspect that many, many, *many* more people would be on board with PETA - if only doing so would mean that we wouldn't be so greatly inconvenienced. If giving up all kinds of food and putting enormous burdens on your lifestyle is indeed the moral thing to do, then tough luck because not very many people will. The PETA example isn't perfect, given that we are justified in showing scrutiny towards something that would cause trouble, but I digress.

tl;dr

I fear that people are more than ready to completely ignore truth because they can't handle its ramifications, thereby turning a blind eye. If this is the case, then that is just one more unpleasant thing to deal with in politics. It adds the dimension where one must ask "do my opponents have a motive behind their belief?".

(I could make this about specific political things, but I think it's best to leave it like this.)

Comments

• BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 21:36:53
    "In such a scenario, the only optimal decision would be for every human to take their life in order to spare an astronomical number of lives. "

Of course, their dying, falling bodies would just take more lives, and the resulting corpse would probably give neighboring societies awful diseases or something. Not to mention, if those tiny civilizations are somehow codependent with humans, they'd be fucked if enough humans did decide to do this. In this example, said civilizations are just screwed either way. Perhaps, through survival of the fittest and whatnot, they were just doomed to die out.

As for the PETA example, let's say everyone became vegetarian and overpopulation of certain animals was widespread. There'd be an enormous loss of resources and space. It would just be more effecient in the long run to eat them.

/troll

As for a more serious answer, yeah, this is pretty bothersome.
  • It'd be a really big strain on me personally i'll tel you. I do not eat fruits or vegetables unless they are corn and potatoes.
  • That depends on what exactly qualifies as the truth.
  • I don't really think you have to ignore it as much as just be "immoral"
  • No, I don't follow PETA/Vegitarians in general because they're stuck-up dicks who fail to realize that humans are omnivores.

Fuck giving up meat. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I am a vegetarian... Goddammit, Chagen.
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:45:05
    Pony Sleuth
    Admittedly, I'm not sure if I'm likely to drastically change my behaviors once it's revealed to me that they're immoral. I'm hoping that my level of awareness is at least honest enough to accept when this is the case.

^^There is like... everything wrong with that post.
  • There is some truth in that.

This one doubts that many people would turn a blind eye to an undeniable truth, though. There are great many things people would prefer not to exist, yet accept that they do. However, people exercise much more scrutiny towards something that might cause them trouble. To go back to your PETA example, there are plenty of reasons for not liking this organisation due to it's more than a little shady, hypocritical and often foolish actions. These are perfectly valid reasons. But people are quite willing to look for said reasons and probably sigh in relief when they find them, while they'd probably won't be so thorough in finding outs shady deals in "Giving everyone a free ice-cream" organisation. Note that if such faults were brought to light people still would be upset and cease supporting it - but they won't go out of their way to find reasons not to.

This one admits that there are certain ideas that make her deeply uncomfortable - and are not 100% proven - so she does not believe in them. Yet some ideas that are also not 100% proven she agrees to believe in. But again, it's not as much closing eyes to the truth as not being willing to exercise willing suspension of disbelief. Were it undeniable - this one would accept it, suffering emotional breakdown in process, of course. But as long as there are valid reasons not to, this one would seek out such reasons.
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:46:00
    [tɕagɛn]
    Cygan: Okay, you're nice. But most vegetarians I've met are complete assholes who wallow around in their own arrogance and their holier-than-thou personalities.

I'm just talking off experience here.
  • I don't think niceness matters when the point is "they fail to realize" rather than "they try to force it on us who don't wanna"
  • While I can understand how you came to that conclusion, there's still so much wrong with that. You can't judge an entire demographic because everyone from said demographic you know is a dick.
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:47:58

Implausible hyperbolic hypothetical situations don't really help get your point across. Neither does guilt tripping people. Personally, I think just educating people better is the most helpful way.

Regardless of PETA being nutjobs skirting Poe's Law, it does help to cut back on meat as it requires much more energy to raise animals for meat than to just eat the plants one stage lower on the food chain.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Cygan: Okay, you're nice. But most vegetarians I've met are complete assholes who wallow around in their own arrogance and their holier-than-thou personalities.

Really depends on the person. It's more likely that you've just met a bunch of assholes who happen to be vegetarian :P
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "This one admits that there are certain ideas that make her deeply
    uncomfortable - and are not 100% proven - so she does not believe in
    them. Yet some ideas that are also not 100% proven she agrees to believe
    in. But again, it's not as much closing eyes to the truth as not being
    willing to exercise willing suspension of disbelief. Were it undeniable -
    this one would accept it, suffering emotional breakdown in process, of
    course. But as long as there are valid reasons not to, this one would
    seek out such reasons."

You put it much better than I do; thanks.
  • Y'know Chagen, some people have had the same experiences with Christians, and you flip out on them when they say something similar.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    An asshole's an asshole, no matter how small what they believe in.
  • Gelzo has a point.
  • I'm just sick of the "YOU HORRIBLE MURDRER FOR EATING MEAT EVEN THOUGH HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES" bullshit.

I don't care how many pictures and videos of animals suffering in captivity and slaughterhouses you show me. I'm still eating that hamburger.
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:51:37
    Like I already mentioned, there are other, more empirical reasons for cutting back on meat (also health reasons). Though I really should put more effort into it myself.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Chagen.

Stop.  Generalizing.
  • $80+ per session
    Yeah, I know quite a few Christians, Muslims, Blacks, Jews, Atheists, Southerners, Hipsters, Vegetarians, Men, Women, and Children who are stuck up pricks.

Do you want a prize for knowing people Chagen?
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:53:18
    Pony Sleuth
    I'm just sick of the "YOU HORRIBLE ADULTERER FOR BEING PROMISCUOUS EVEN THOUGH HUMANS ARE SEXUAL" bullshit.

I don't care how many paintings and sermons of people suffering in fire and brimstone you show me. I'm still porking that bitch.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-05-29 21:53:23
    Chagen, all groups have idiots. Atheists have "YOU'RE STUPID FOR BELIEVING IN GOD AND WOULD BE BETTER OFF DEAD!", Christians have "YOU'RE AN IMMORAL HEATHEN FOR NOT BELIEVING THE SAME THING AS ME AND YOU'RE GOING TO ROTT IN HELL!", etc. That doesn't make all Athiests or Christians or whatever like that.

Also, what Forzare, Vivi and Gelzo said.
  • edited 2011-05-29 21:54:05
    Tableflipper
    "I don't care how many pictures and videos of puppies and dogs licking their master's dicks you show me. I'm still going to digest that dead dog."
  • Getting back on topic, as demonstrated, appeal to emotion is a crappy persuasive technique.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I support Hedonism...or Hellenism. I forget which.
  • "appeal to emotion is a crappy persuasive technique."

If that was true common morals wouldn't exist.
  • Yeah, well, preaching to the choir.
  • Ed: How so?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    @Bob

He mean "If that was true the majority of most common morals wouldn't exist."