If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People Expect Me to Know What Acronyms Stand For

edited 2011-01-28 16:45:24 in Wonderful posts
Internet slang is something I refuse to learn, mostly because it will be useless soon anyways as people come up with more bizarre acronyms to replace the old ones. The fact that TV shows and other works are shortened down to a random series of letters and people are expected to know without context what they mean is baffling. If you're on a forum that caters to the fandom, it's a bit better but still confusing.

Acronyms and my guess at what they stand for:

FWIW.

Funky Whites in Wetcoats?
Forward With Incessant Wherewithall?
Find What it Wants?
The French Wait in Waterloo?

IIRC

I think it has something to do with IRC maybe Internet IRC? But that's redundant.

TPTB

This is a TV station, right? One of the cable networks?

YOMANK

Ah, I got this one. The person is greeting a person called "Mank". "Mank" I believe, is a derogatory term. They just forgot punctuation. That's common on the internet.

SYTST

I have no idea. Why do I keep on seeing a dog, though?

AATAFOVS

Hey, that almost looks like a word. Aatafovs are tiny rodents native to South America. They mostly hide away in their holes in the middle of the prairie, and are nearing extinction due to pollution. Awareness need to be spread about these amazing creature.

Comments

• For what it's worth, if I recall correctly... I don't know any of the other ones. I agree that a large amount of acronyms is ridiculous, but I like the basic ones... g2g, brb, wtf, omg, and lol.
  • edited 2011-01-28 17:00:37
    Oh. g2g. I know on the internets, the "2" is shorthand for the word "to" and not representative of the actual number even when it looks like it's supposed to be. The "g"s probably stand for "gamer" right? It's a way to show solidarity.

Also VCR.

Well at least I know what a VCR is. It stands for Video Capture Relay because it's a relay for captured videos.
  • edited 2011-01-28 20:02:26
    People Expect Me to Know What Acronyms Stand For

lol QFT man, I mean, wtf?

Edit: Quote, ofc.
  • So what's it like being 50?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    FWIW = for what it's worth
    IIRC = if I recall correctly
    AATAFOVS = avatar the airbending fellowship of vampire slayers, or something like that--a tv tropes community fan-project

Dunno TPTB or YOMANK or SYTST.
  • You Oughta Mod a NK.
  • YOMANK = You Owe Me A New Keyboard--the implication being that the other persons's post was so funny you spit coffee all over your keyboard laughing. (I know this one from lurking the Snopes forum as a young teenager)

The jury is out on TPTB and SYTST.
  • edited 2011-01-29 02:33:34
    LMMAP

(Let me make a prediction)

NOWEG

(No one will ever get)

SYTST

And people will protest if I reveal the meaning

So what's it like being 50?

Better than being 13.
  • If you spend enough time on the internet with AOL-speakers, you get this scary sense where you can figure out acronyms you've never seen before.
  • edited 2011-01-29 18:24:37
    Well, yeah, they are often made out of well known word phrases and the letters sometimes stand for the same words, so it's not impossible to figure them out with experience.

TTYL?
  • edited 2011-01-29 10:27:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I just figured out SYTST.

This should totally be a sort of Mystery Hunt puzzle.

^ Tengen Toppa Yaoi Lagann.
  • Talk to you later, see you tomorrow sometime? Y and u are always "you", double Ts usually include a "to" or "the", etc. It's like figuring out a newspaper cryptogram; makes me feel smart :p
  • ITT: Butthurt. :P
    Longfellow: I know what TTYL is.  Also, SYTST is a meme.
  • edited 2011-01-29 21:24:48
    ITT is a college.

Also, I believe glenn's got SYTST.

That kind of Mystery Hunt puzzle would go great with my overall concept. (it's from the 4chan round).
  • "ITT is a college."

lol

ITT = In This Thread

Also, ITT:Colleges::DeVry:Colleges
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    >Internet slang is something I refuse to learn

OK, then why are you complaining about it?  You've nobody to blame but yourself.
  • "Internet slang is something I refuse to learn, mostly because it will be
    useless soon anyways as people come up with more bizarre acronyms to
    replace the old ones
    ."

Internet acronyms haven't changed much in the past decade.

"The fact that TV shows and other works are shortened down to a random
    series of letters and people are expected to know without context what
    they mean is baffling.
    "

Not baffling for people who talk about, for instance, "LotR" often enough.
    The first animé series I saw, when I was a kid, were things like SM and DBZ, but I didn't care for them.  The first series I cared about were ER, TNAoV (which later became the CG show V:t3D), and Pkmn.  But I was never much of a TV watcher; the first time I bothered to actually go find something to watch was when people got me sufficiently curious about NGE.  Then after finishing that, I watched KG, Nr, S4, RG, SG, SotU (a.k.a. UnS), and E7, among other random stuff such as the CT OVA and stuff I saw at the animé club at school such as MP, TG, NotVotW, and TGWLTT.  Next on my list is either the FE OVA or IR.
  • edited 2011-01-31 16:20:14
    I'm surprised with that list you haven't seen FE yet, though there are other pretty glaring omissions. Which one are you looking at? There are two now.

That was dense, though. I was maybe able to get about a third of them.

[OOC: I actually do know pretty much all of the acronyms used in this thread. It's just more fun to pretend I'm completely ignorant.]

(OOC is of course a misspelling of a monkey sound. The internets people really like their misspellings.)
  • edited 2011-01-31 17:20:45
    But you never had any to begin with.
    ^ The Librarian isn't a monkey!
    Which ones of what am I looking at?  And which ones could you not figure out?

I'm actually surprised that you're surprised I haven't seen FE yet.  It's relatively obscure; the only information you'd have for that is to combine my being an animé fan with the meta-information of my being an FE fan.
  • edited 2011-01-31 23:17:58
    Nevermind, I misread.

Let's talk about video games. I'm all about the PC. Most of the games from my early childhood were from a single company, though. They released series, like one set in fairy tales with installments like QftC, RtT, and PoR. (After that they went to PaC and then got better, with realeases like HTGT and TPB. TPB got some flak for being more cartoony, but I think it's one of the stronger installments). Another series set in the future, with installments like VR and RWatTR, which would have been the best in the series if it weren't so buggy on newer computers. My favorite series from that company though is one I discovered later, originally called HQ (the name was changed later) with installments like SYWBAH, SoD (another game which would be the best in the series if it weren't so buggy), and DF. DF gets a lot of flak because it's 3d instead of sprited. I still think it's incredibly great and a nice cap to the entire series. I am just now playing GK, by one Miss JJ and it makes me wonder how I was able to beat those games without a walkthrough.

I also played the old Zk games from Infcm, like TGUE (which was the first). My favorites, though are BZ and RtZ. RtZ might seem outdated with it's FMV style mixed with old computer graphics, but that didn't matter back when I played it.

I've only gotten into LA recently. The MI series are really fun, though. Also, GF, which I agree with the reviews. Every fan of the genre needs to play it at least once. SaMHtR wasn't really that good, but the Tt remakes are great. Haven't played DotT or MM. IJ:FoA is another great game from LA.

In other genres, I have the free games from my computer, especially CC. SF, and FC are also good time wasters. I also played Dm a bit back when it came out, as well as another game from the same company: Hrtc. My favorite, though was Dscnt, which I can't play on any new computers. Beside, I think I lost the disk. i wasn't playing Dm to full potential anyways. After I played HL, I went back to Dm and found out about the Alt key. That Alt key makes everything so much easier.

We also had games like Cvlztn, WC, SC, and AoE. Also a couple of obscure games like MoO and Utpa. I would be surprised if anyone here has heard of let alone played Utpa. I stopped playing them recently,though, because they take up a lot of time to get anywhere.

In terms of console gameplay, I owned a MD, so of course, I had games like StH and sequels. I also had this Ttrs clone PyPy, which was addicting as hell. I was never good at setting up chains, though. One game that really gets my nostagia filter is JM, which had a magic system that involved combining two magics to get a third. (This was also implemented in GH).

In the next generation I got a PS, which had games like CB, StD, TM, FF, and SF. (Yes, I realize things like MGS are missing. I didn't own them). Later I got a PS2, and got KD, JaD, ICO [There's a freebie for you.], RaC, and SC.

Nowadays, I do most of my gaming through Stm, getting many games from Vlv, like HL, P, TF, as well as games from other companies: BH, PoP, WoG, SMB (You get blood everywhere in that game), B:AA (so looking forward to B:AC). A:TDD. The list can go on. I'm also in the freeware scene. Mtrvna's are the best, I believe. CS, BMD, IWBtG, AUS, LiCS, you know, games like that. The big name companies have great games in that genre as well. I'm partial to AoS and ZM myself.

The previous is 99% true as far as I recall.
    This thread has spawned a great idea for a Mystery Hunt puzzle.

I say we should collaboratively try to decode these.
  • Anyways.

SM: Sailor Moon
    DBZ: Dragonball Z
    Pkmn: Pokemon
    NGE: Neon Genesis Evangelion
    E7: Eureka Seven
    CT OVA: Chrono Trigger
    NotVotW: Nausicaa
    FE: Fire Emblem. My previous post mixed this up with something else.
    KG: Keroro Gunsou

I'll see if looking things up can find me more.
    What did you think FE was?

Also, the list of answers for my entry are basicalliy all here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/GlennMagusHarvey
  • I mixed it up with FA.
    Ah.

Also, don't look at the answers if you want to keep guessing, obviously.