If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who bash JRPGs

edited 2011-01-27 03:35:50 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
We just have a different set of expectations from our number-crunching, equipment sorting games.  But since this is IJBM, our expectations are better.

We like having more than one character to play.  And nice story to go with those characters.  All those character-specific and character-developing sidequests?  Yeah, sorry, you don't get them.

Also, our music is nicer.

Comments

• OH SNAP IT IS ON.

Also, our music is nicer.

*brofist*

*runs* Teehee!
  • It is nice to play a game in a world that is not completely brown.

Though I'll cut the Fallout series a lot of slack for that.
  • edited 2011-01-27 20:36:51
    Loser
    Now that I think about it, I do not think I have ever played a WRPG (except for one random BIONICLE GBA game) though I suppose the truth of that statement depends upon how one defines RPG. I have heard quite a few different definitions of that term.

A big part of why I have played JRPGs is because of art style and tone. I have some obvious bias since I like anime-type art styles (and have since before even liking anime itself) so a series like Phantasy Star Online appeals to me partially because its art is in a style I find aesthetically pleasing.

As far as tone goes, I dislike large amounts of violence, blood, and gore in games, and my impression is that WRPGs in general tend to have more of that kind of content that JRPGs do. I guess that may seem a bit unrelated to tone, but the connection that I make between the two is that darker, grittier games tend to have that level of violence and that WRPGs tend to fall under the "darker and grittier" category.

Additionally, I tend to only purchase Nintendo consoles and handhelds (for various reasons) and I do not play many computer games, so I think my options in terms of WRPGs are more limited. I am unlikely to buy a console or a better computer just to play a single game so I prefer the selection of JRPGs for the systems I own to the selection of WRPGs.

I do appreciate character customization and some other aspects that I think are decently common in WRPGS, but I still prefer JRPGs overall. Again, it needs to be said that my opinion here has a great deal of bias attached to it because I do not play WRPGs very often. Thus, what I say here makes more sense as a justification for why I play JRPGs than as reasons why WRPGs are bad.  I think this is firmly your mileage may vary territory anyway.

I apologize for rambling and in case anyone was wondering my favorite RPG series are Pokemon, Phantasy Star Online (or Zero), and the Mario RPGs.

• "Also, our music is nicer." Yup :3
  • This one does not like JRPGs, but it doesn't mean that they are bad. Just not my style.

I do not see the point of playing an RPG in which I cannot make a meaningful choices that will influence the plot. Equipment customisation I do not care about, but give me dialogue options!

And yes, I prefer playing my characters than those made by someone else.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So basically, JRPGs are novels with excuses for interactivity and WRPGs are self-insert fics.
  • AMERICA HAS NO RPGS

• edited 2011-01-29 12:53:37
    JRPGs are bashed for one reason: because most people assume JRPGs = Final Fantasy, and XIII and XIV have tarnished the reputation of FF, and therefore all JRPGs. Which isn't including the people who hate FF in the first place. It's amazing how many people bash JRPGs, then start up their PS3 so they can play Demons' Souls.

Personally, I simply don't like turn-based combat, especially when it's slow-paced like Skies of Arcadia, frequent like Pokemon, or  simply uninteresting like FF13 or Eternal Legacy.

• WUEWUE
    edited 2011-01-29 11:53:33
    Demon's Souls it's about as much of a JRPG as Anachronox is an example of WRPGs...

EDIT: Aside from DA:O I wouldn't say that Real Is Brown is a particularly common trope in WRPGs, but hey.
  • The only JRPG I ever played was Diablo.

Not serious.
    That's a JRPG?
  • Diablo is a WRPG, isn't it?
  • a little muffled
    There's a reason that post is especially long, guys.
  • edited 2011-01-29 18:40:09
    I don't think it really matters what country a game is from, or even what genre it is. Good games are "thier own thing" anyway. I don't know why JRPGs and WRPGs so frequently fall into the same traps, though, but it's best not to assume it'll always be that way.
    /me hits self for failing spot check
  • I haven't played much of the Fable series, but I think it's pretty well known for how uninteresting it is.
  • "if not a masterpiece"

Really? I did not get that impression when I played it. I must not have played enough?
    Haha, I totally know the feeling of "the creators totally did this wrong".  That's like my experience with Franz Liszt's "Dante Sonata"--I've been meaning for years to write an alternative version of that piano piece, with the same themes and some of the same material but vastly fixing, expanding, or shortening parts that I think could be improved, need to be emphasized, or should be cut.

As for a JRPG, try any JRPG on my games list.  Or pretty much any RPG, since all but like one or two are JRPGs.
  • edited 2011-01-29 22:34:43
    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Or make a new thread.

Or do it over in TV Tropes, and link it here.

Incidentally, I've now figured out why I recognize the name "Molyneux".
    Actualy, that might be a good idea--post it here and then link to it in the Fable III thread over there.
    HOLY FUCK THAT'S A WALL OF TEXT ALL RIGHT.
  • The spoilers!

They burrrrrrrrrn
  • edited 2011-01-30 01:41:12
  • They are that weak?

Ewwww...
  • I don't think that was ever actually a rule, as long as you aren't "importing drama" (i.e., don't link to the threads where people bitch about the TVTropes moderation, but something like your opinions of a video game should be fine).
  • "Well, aren't we supposed to not link to IJBM on the main TVtropes forum?"

I don't think there so...
  • I hope you'll excuse me for tl;dr-ing most of that.

Because, damn.
  • edited 2011-01-30 03:01:59
    That wasn't a rant, that was a freaking essay. :P

I actually kinda feel bad about tl;dr'ing it, since you obviously put a lot of time into it, but honestly...I wasn't that interested to begin with. In fact, the only reason I'm reading this thread is because this board moves slow enough for me to read every thread.
  • I teal deer'd it as well. Then again, I have never played Fable =P
  • I read that whole thing.  It was worth it.