If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"The people on the insecurities thread don't have any real problems "

edited 2011-05-21 17:43:38 in General
I get this odd feeling that most of the people who say this have never actually gone to the insecurities thread.

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    They haven't, or they are people who don't care?
  • I knew who started this thread before I even clicked on it.

Well, it was because I read who the last poster was, but I would've known anyway.

But yes, I agree and know what post you're referring to. I must say the following put down was good.
  • edited 2011-05-21 17:47:52

Option C: They have shockingly low empathy.

^ Which post is that?

• edited 2011-05-21 18:11:18
    From the This Troper thread, specifically the last post of this page (Cygan's link is the insecurities thread) and Sober Irishman's from this page.

Edit: Actually, only the latter post denies the problems.
    "I want Insecurities to get nuked. I hate these hugboxy fuckers begging for sympathy and bumping a thread I hate to the top of Yack Fest with issues I am too indifferent to and badass to care about. People should deal with it and stop sharing this bullshit with everyone."

--Will Smith on Insecurities
  • edited 2011-05-21 18:13:11
    Automatically, I despise Adeptus Alpharius. Pompous Kino-wannabe.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Option D: Any people with real issues are swamped in the great tide of attention whoring, and would be better served taking their issues elsewhere.
  • "real problems" doesn't make much sense to me probobly because I don't have much sense of scale.
  • The notion of "real problems" kind of irritates me because everyone's problems are real to them. It just seems arrogant to dismiss someone else's issues just because they're something you wouldn't care about.
    It's easier to not understand one's misfortune on the internet, which is why GIFT, abrasive dickishness and trolling reigns supreme.
  • t hen you must be the Supereme Ruler of the Internet Vorpy.
  • edited 2011-05-21 20:28:30
    • Option D: Any people with real issues are swamped in the great tide of attention whoring, and would be better served taking their issues elsewhere.

Bon, Kindly go fuck yourself.

• As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Myrmidon is angry, what a remarkably surprising turn of events.
  • I have to agree with Myrm on this one. Kindly go fuck yourself.
  • Bon, your threshold for what constitutes "attention whoring" is ridiculously low.
  • edited 2011-05-21 20:53:05
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    No offense to Bon, but...yeah. They are nothing close to the attention whores I know and beg for attention in the least irritating way, as opposed to the ones who derail threads in an attempt to brag about themselves or play the "everyone is against me" card in an attempt to annoy people enough to get them against said person.

As long as you ignore the thread it's okay though, most of their issues are not as bad as I thought, although laughable, they aren't sympathy overfishing.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-05-21 20:57:22
    There has been one time where I could honestly say there was a poster with very petty problems and a bad reason for posting them, but that's just it. One time. They were called out on it, and since them have become a better person.

I hate attention whoring, I really do. But the wangst thread does not have it.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't think I've seen this so-called atention whoring, really. Besides, it's a thread about insecurities and shit. People shouldn't have such a big criteria for what should be posted there. As long as it's making you feel uneasy, then it should be posted.

What does annoy me is the constant circle jerkery of "feel good, you're a nice person" without any advice in most cases. I sometimes wonder if that kinda thing helps at all and that's why I'll never post my own insecurities there, personally.
  • Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. None of us are therapists, and none of us know if our advice is good or not. But kind words are kind words. Even if it's superficial, it can be a bit heartwarming. Especially, I find, when a troper comes out of nowhere to say something.
    -shrugs- It's just that many of them start to become dependent around it. It's nice to have reassurance, yes, but only when it leads to results. 
  • Very true. Then again, they're usually dependent to begin with. But that's just an educated guess.

I know I am entirely dependent on feedback, and I barely even post in the wangst thread.
  • edited 2011-05-21 22:00:14
    Loser
    AXavierB,

The notion of "real problems" kind of irritates me because everyone's
    problems are real to them. It just seems arrogant to dismiss someone
    else's issues just because they're something you wouldn't care about.

I think you have a good point. Still, I think it was a good idea to have the two "angst" threads for greater and lesser problems. I feel like some people can feel really bad about posting in the one thread we have now for such issues when their problems are obviously not nearly as grave as the problems that other people have.

Juan_Carlos,

What does annoy me is the constant circle jerkery of "feel good, you're a
    nice person" without any advice in most cases. I sometimes wonder if
    that kinda thing helps at all and that's why I'll never post my own
    insecurities there, personally.

I agree. I think that and the e-hugs can be a bit excessive. That being said, I think that sometimes it is good to just know that someone is listening at all. I feel like some people are more effective at dealing with their problems when they can talk through them, regardless of if other people actually give advice that helps solve them. Still, I have witnessed some people getting upset about others not replying to their. I am not really sure if there is a solution to that though.

• "What does annoy me is the constant circle jerkery of "feel good, you're a nice person" without any advice in most cases. I sometimes wonder if that kinda thing helps at all and that's why I'll never post my own insecurities there, personally."

That was why I explicitly spoke against it last time I posted there. When I have such issues, I want constructive advice. Meaningless glurge feels almost like an insult.

Most people there are just going "okay yeah that's nice hope you feel better NOW HERES MYYYYYYYYY PROBLEM" although not as overblown as I stated it.

Some of them don't know what to say most of the time though since they...haven't experienced said problems.
  • " They are nothing close to the attention whores I know and beg for attention in the least irritating way, as opposed to the ones who derail threads in an attempt to brag about themselves or play the "everyone is against me" card in an attempt to annoy people enough to get them against said person."

Making a personal attack post which is TOTALLY NOT ABOUT ME, but actually is TOTALLY ABOUT ME isn't exactly in good form, Vorpy.
  • edited 2011-05-22 00:05:48
    Holy shit that wasn't even about you but it completely demonstrated the point I was trying to make with the derail threads in an attempt to brag about themselves or play the
    "everyone is against me" card in an attempt to annoy people enough to
    get them against said person
    part.

The reason it wasn't about you is because you are...lol...permabanned from TV tropes so you can't actually derail threads to be about you or play the "everyone is against me" card there?

You don't even post in that forum, or can.

AND

now that I think about it, concerning your "playing of the "everyone is against me" card in an attempt to annoy people enough to get them against said person" that didn't occur to me until now, how come you aren't doing anything about it huh?

How come you are still playing that shitty overused "Oh no I don't get the right to my opinion" line everytime we disagree with you?
  • Holy shit that wasn't even about you but it completely demonstrated the point I was trying to make

Could you at least try to make it less obvious?
    ^ you're asking Vorpy to be subtle, Noimporta? Really?
  • edited 2011-05-22 18:43:42
    I know, right? Pfff hahaha, what a dumbass...