If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

TV Tropes' VG board

edited 2011-05-18 21:40:44 in Webspace
Because you never know what you might see.
Why do tropers get so much more worked up over video games than other media?

I am pretty sure this board contains more stupid and more Serious Business than all the other boards in the middle column put together.

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    More stupid than music or new media or webcomics?
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Eh, it's not that bad. Every section has its moments of wank.
  • edited 2011-05-18 21:42:59
    Tableflipper
    Even New Media?

(I don't actually go to new media so I wouldn't really know but considering what the subject matter is...)

Nevermind.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Except for Music, which is the best forum on the entire site.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Music is the best media board, obvs.

IDK, maybe it's the threads that get reported, but I haven't seen nearly as much ridiculously overblown raging over NM or Webcomics as I have in VG.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Perhaps it's just bias on my part, but I honestly don't think the VG subforum is quite as bad as most people make it out to be.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I don't either, but then again I confine myself to a choice few topics.

Though it could be because its one of the more active boards. More posts = more BS.

It's still a hell of a lot better than your average video game board.

• Yeah, I stick to a few topics so I don't notice the drama. Then again, I never notice drama.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't go to the media subforums this days...I used to do it some times, but eh, too much drama and general fan wank for me to care.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I don't think that VG is that bad.

Granted, maybe I'm just visiting the right threads. Mostly.
  • If that don't work, use more gun.
    Fan dumb and all that. Though I keep myself to a few threads.  I don't think it's the cesspool everyone makes it out to be though.  (It's not bad enough to get deleted that's for sure.)
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    There's something wrong with the VG board?

It's Signed, isn't it?
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I only post in the Pokemon General, so I don't know much about this
  • From what I can tell, the video game board tends to be dominated by people who are actually good at games. I think that can sometimes cause conflict between so-called "casual" players and "hardcore" ones. I remember an argument of that type within the Brawl topic that I thought was particularly frustrating and I think the same kind of thing happened in one of the Pokemon threads as well. I might not have the best sample size though.

I am not sure if the video game board is particularly bad in that regard though. I have seen some pretty heated stuff in the manga/anime one as well whether it is about subs vs. dubs or arguments about a certain series.

Still, I think both boards are pretty similar in that people generally stick to certain threads. If I remember correctly, DYRE said that those series discussion threads do not invite much conversation. I am not totally sure if that is true, but I do think that IJBM 2 and OTC are better at actually having discussion than most of the media boards. In my opinion, the media boards are something one tends to post in from time to time rather than everyday, just because no one may really be talking about stuff everyday there.

Your mileage may vary there though since I have only really browsed the manga/anime, video game, and new media parts of the media section.
  • edited 2011-05-19 12:13:39
    Mexican fag
    Above posters are casualfags. 

On a more serious note, it's probably because of the Sonic fandom.
  • New media can get pretty goddamn dumb at times, although it's improved since Indigo Dingo got banned and Acridity decreased the frequency of his posting.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The only good thread is the Minecraft thread.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Indigo Dingo was banned!? I knew there was a reason why the air there felt so clear!

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    The worst board is still, and will always be, OTC. 
  • All I know is that I'm a horrible disgusting person for mentioning I have used innuendos to nickname my pokémon and that nobody likes to talk about feminism.

But really, I find no entertainment thread is too keen on feminism. Dunno why.

• I like to read about feminism, at least. Dunno if I have anything substantive to say.
  • "But really, I find no entertainment thread is too keen on feminism. Dunno why."

Maybe they're trying to enjoy the work?
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    It's more the annoying arguments that ensue over feminism; there's nothing quite wrong with feminists, as long as they're sane. 
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-05-19 14:33:02

Sammy: Well, yes, but I find that they seem to be especially turned off by that brand of debate. Other debating gets a bit more flak.

And I was unaware it was impossible to enjoy a work because it was being analyzed or discussed from an alternate perspective.

^Well when you bring up the feminist perspective it tends to make people feel guilty about liking a supposedly sexist work. I know it sure as hell makes me feel guilty for liking Bakuman/Pokemon.
  • Really? I had no idea! No, seriously. If I could pothole to sincerity mode I would. That's fascinating, to say the least.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    How is Pokemon sexist? Because the girls wear fan-servicey (kinda) outfits?

Because, in the second gen the ways IVs worked made it so that Males had higher attack and lower special attack and females vice versa. (which was removed once gender became independent of IVs)

And that there are lines of all male fighting types but no female-only lines.

I could go on, but I won't.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-05-19 14:54:31

Well, yes, and far more, because lines are changed (in DPP) as well as the removal of an entire animation sequence(HGSS) depending on whether you chose a girl character or not, and the fact that girls and boys are given completely different customization options.

And Neo, there are female-only lines, but none of them are fighting types. They are almost all normal. Or...Jynx...

• edited 2011-05-19 15:07:40
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Well AHR did bring up that a lot of the Trainer classes are unusually gender specific when they don't need to be.

^^^Though that might also be reason, but I can never tell with AHR. She might find the overwhelming number of male professors to be sexist for all I know.