If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Modern FPS suck ass.

edited 2011-05-14 00:50:55 in Media
Every popular and successful FPS is now a slow paced, brown and bloom, 'gritty' piece of crap with instakill knives, boring weapons, zero creativity, auto aim, and regenerating health.

I miss old school UT style FPS, here's hoping Duke Nukem satisfies me, although I doubt it.

Serious Sam is the last hope for FPS.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-14 00:52:25
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Don't you mean the Call of Duty Franchise?

How come you don't just say  "I hate Call of Duty games?"
  • Killzone, Medal of Honor, Resistance (Although at least the weapons are kind of cool).
  • Auto aim is the cancer that's killing /b/?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I didn't know Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, Portal and ReadDeadWhatever did not count.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Cancer is the cancer killing /b/.

also ohai borderlands 

you're cool too
  • RedDead is a 3rd person game.

Portal is a puzzle game.

Valve still makes good FPS though, I admit.

But the fact CoD and its "AAA Title" clones make all the money bugs the shit out of me.
  • CoD4 was the last good CoD. Except for Nazi Zombies WAW.

Also.

HALOOOOOOO
  • Halo is meh with a terrible fanbase.

It has some good ideas and isn't all brown and bloom but I'll never forgive it for starting the dedicated melee, 2 weapons, and regenerating health trend.
  • edited 2011-05-14 00:57:51
    Probably because it's good and fun to play? I played MW2 once and it was fun levelling up my guns and shooting people in the face. It's not all bad.

After all, if a FPS isn't RealIsBrown, then what the fuck is it? Halo with Prismatic imagery and more Joke weapons?

About the only thing I can suggest is an Unreal Tournament game in Pandora.
  • FPS shouldn't be about leveling up and rewarding people for playing more, what is this, an MMO?

Also it can be NORMAL colored, or colorful, why not?

Also when did something with creativity become a joke weapon? Painkiller and Turok had AMAZING weapons, and now all we get is "Pistol, Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, RPG"

Bulletstorm had some neat weapons but was bogged down by alot of other problems.
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:05:07
    FPS shouldn't be about leveling up and rewarding people for playing more, what is this, an MMO?

And you are to define what a "true FPS" is? Please excuse me while I say lolfuckthat. I enjoyed levelling up the guns. Not so much when they didn't get any better and the fact that the only type of gun that would make sense to use was either a sniper rifle or an assault rifle, but whatever.

My main gripe is when the game kind of forgets that handguns and sub-machine guns need to have some advantage to use besides being options in the game. There should be a reason to carry around a handgun with only 15 or something bullets and low killing power other than "I can't find ammo for my assault rifle" or "I am playing with these noobs". Add the ability to jump higher, double lock or run extremely fast.
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:07:31
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    FPS shouldn't be about leveling up and rewarding people for playing more, what is this, an MMO?

And... why not?  I think Call of Duty is fun to play. I think Borderlands is fun to play.  I think Team Fortress is fun to play.  What makes one game a true FPS and another not?
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:08:49
    Yes, I think it is a legitimate gripe.

Why should I be punished for not playing a game more like in a freaking MMO? FPS are about S K I L L not how many times you freaking played Nuketown. At least make it constrained to one game like Counter Strike if you really need to 'level up' your shoota.

And yes, pistols are pretty much useless, especially thanks to one hit kill knife attacks, which are also garbage.

^ Leveling up guns are fine in singleplayer games. In multiplayer they ruin competitiveness.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Why should I be punished for not playing a game more like in a freaking
    MMO? FPS are about S K I L L not how many times you freaking played
    Nuketown.

Then... don't play games that reward you like that?  A lot of people legitimately like that feeling of advancement.
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:10:14
    Well im sorry but I'm a little annoyed now that a genre I used to adore I now have to "go play something else." and have been swept under the rug.
    Dude, not every FPS on the market is Call of Duty.
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:12:43
    They slowly are.

Hell I'm having trouble enjoying TF2 because of all these new weapons and jack.

And the point I'm making is its so annoying these CoD clones are making the big bucks.

MW3 is probably gonna offer absolutely nothing new, and it will be a best selling game.
  • @Vorpy. There already is an advantage with pistols and submachine guns. Pistols are the secondary weapon you can fall back on when you can't use your sniper or you need to reload an LMG. Shotgun users need it as their only mid ranged weapon. Plus, both guns reload fast, and its generally faster to switch to the pistol then reload your primary weapon.

• edited 2011-05-14 01:18:20
    Not another self-entitled "FPS are dying" shit-wanking thread. Fuck I hate these.

There already is an advantage with pistols and submachine guns. Pistols
    are the secondary weapon you can fall back on when you can't use your
    sniper or you need to reload an LMG. Shotgun users need it as their only
    mid ranged weapon. Plus, both guns reload fast, and its generally
    faster to switch to the pistol then reload your primary weapon.

Hmmm, but why use a pistol when you can use an SMG? Nevermind the reload time is nice.
    Not another self-entitled "FPS are dying" shit-wanking thread. Fuck I hate these.
  • Go to another forum if you don't like people sharing their opinions.

I'm simply expressing my disappointment with a genre I used to adore, is now something I have alot of trouble tolerating, and it makes me sad.

Some hope remains, but its getting harder to hold onto that hope.

That said, Serious Sam sounds like its gonna be A W E S O M E
  • Why don't you just play the old games you like so much?
    No, I am just worried this might turn into another self-entitled "FPS are dying" shit-wanking thread. I wouldn't mind talking about FPS games as long as this thread doesn't get monopolized by bitter gamer wank.

Some hope remains, but its getting harder to hold onto that hope.

What games have you played in the past that you would WANT to be reimplemented in the genre?
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:26:25
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The genre isn't dying.  At all.  Changing, maybe, but not dying.

And it's really not like every single game is CoD.  They're out there.

^Preach on, Vorps.
  • ^^^ Because perhaps I still want to play new games? Perhaps I've already played the old games? I'm tired of this argument.

^^ Not ONCE have I said "FPS are dying" the modern trends suck, but I don't think the genre is gonna DIE.

And honestly? I'd like to go back to fast paced arena like FPS, no auto aim, no sprint button, no regenerating health.

Also less linearity in single player. CoD like games feel like nothing but hallways.
    ^^ Not ONCE have I said "FPS are dying" the modern trends suck, but I don't think the genre is gonna DIE.

But I am sure that I....ah, well played..

Either way, auto aim is not as helpful as it sounds, the sprint button is helpful because sneaking around in open areas is stupid (I don't know why this is a problem), no regenerating health can be turned off for everybody playing. For some endurance matches it makes sense, since getting scathed by some fire should last until you die, but since it's an FPS you should be able to kill people with very few shots anyway. Most matches are flexible and most of the options that you don't like can be turned off.
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:35:31
    You might not have used the word "dying", but it certainly sounded like what you meant.

I'd like to go back to fast paced arena like FPS, no auto aim, no sprint button, no regenerating health.

Why does this need to come at the expense of "modern" FPSs?
    What games were these based off of if I can ask?
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:37:41
    ^^ Who said it has to be? I have no problem letting you guys play your current trend of FPS style.

But why does the one I like have to die out? Thats why I'm angry.

^ Based off what?
  • edited 2011-05-14 01:53:56
    WHAT. GAME. IS. YOUR. FAVORITE. GAMESTYLE. BASED. ON?

Perfect Dark? Goldeneye 007? Turok? What? I have a vague idea on what you are talking about but it sounds like a smaller version of what we play already.