If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

MEGA X SHIT CIRCUIT - MAXIMUM SHITPOSTING 98000k (NSFW)

Comments

• Bovarian Mammarian
    oh, Lazy Town
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "if you want to sail with me, you are a pirate!"
    things that don't make sense

don mick senn
    Don Nixon
    DONALD NIXON

LIKE DONALD TRUMP X RICHARD NIXON
    Dick's Nicks
    knick-knack

noknok shell
    KNUCKLES' neck
    Desk-Bang: Globally Offensive
  • edited 2017-04-21 20:22:25
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    i mean, when i listen to music, sometimes i listen to it slightly slower or pitch-adjusted based on how i feel like listening to it at the time -- usually based on trying to realize in a physically-detectable form some idea that's in my head

far as i know this is quite normal of a practice amongst musicians -- e.g. playing a piece at different tempos to figure out what works best for one's desired interpretation, or (correct me if i'm wrong) playing a sample or some other song back in different ways, perhaps adding instruments or subtracting some audio channels or with various adjustments/distortions

and musicians aren't the only ones to do this; games have mods, plays have updated or parody or other-setting retellings, and so on

why is it treated strangely when this practice is extended to storytelling?  why is it canon treated as something static to be placed on a pedestal?  why does every detail have to be clear?  why can't things be left to the audience to figure out and even decide?  what about engaging the audience in the creative process, rather than simply presenting some static, finished product -- especially when a story itself isn't truly a static thing to be viewed and bought and sold like a commodity but actually a dynamic journey to be experienced for oneself?
  • edited 2017-04-21 20:29:44
    [urkel=http://google.com/]google.com[/urkel]
  • edited 2017-04-21 23:03:43
    especially when a story itself isn't truly a static thing to be viewed and bought and sold like a commodity
    You're seriously overselling modern entertainment here.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    especially when a story itself isn't truly a static thing to be viewed and bought and sold like a commodity
    You're seriously overselling modern entertainment here.

I'm probably trying to give it more weight than it's usually given, possibly even by its creators in some instances.

But hey, what's wrong with that?

also why are your replies giant text
  • They look the same size as everyone else's on my end, though looking at the html tends to have inexplicably complicated formatting show up.

But hey, what's wrong with that?
    In the context of discussions, it gets to a point where you're no longer talking about the same thing everyone else is.
  • edited 2017-04-22 00:13:55
    ah, the rich text editor screwing things up again lol

> it gets to a point where you're no longer talking about the same thing everyone else is

Well, you might disagree with me on this, but the way I see it, I'm just not not making the same assumptions with regards to interpreting and assessing the story.  Like, I don't see trends where other people do because I haven't seen as many of those shows, or I presume that the characters don't act "off-camera" as much in a certain way that they often act on camera because it wouldn't make as much sense if they did, or so on.
    I wonder if I should head out for an hour or two just to attempt to do some paper-writing or translation work in a local bookstore and also check out their selection of light novels.
    FYI:

1. Steam is a big enough success at this point that Valve doesn't need to go prospecting for what to add, generally speaking, and it's usually the other way around, where developers/publishers who try to ask Valve to put their games on Steam.

2. However, there is already existing thread for requesting games to be added to Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/627456486849997575/

I'm horribly wordy, aren't I.

I could have accomplished this by saying:
    1. Steam is a big success so it's publishers who ask to put their games on Steam.
    2. http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/627456486849997575/

though it'd be more terse and less detailed.
  • edited 2017-04-22 01:16:21
    Like, I don't see trends where other people do because I haven't seen as many of those shows,
    Some more prominent trends can be noticed just from descriptions on promos and blurbs. And this is before getting into trends that get referenced in other genres, or how a lot of recurring ideas with plot and character types have been around since like forever and recur across different eras and civilizations.

or I presume that the characters don't act "off-camera" as much in a certain way that they often act on camera because it wouldn't make as much sense if they did, or so on.

That sounds needlessly complicating, and pretty unlike my experience with spinoff media that try to show what characters (might) have done offscreen.
    I dunno how much of a trend it is to have dragons show up in anime movies as opposed to other places, but fourteenwings was talking about that with regards to a NGNL trailer last night (my local time).

Also, just because character types and plot types recur doesn't mean that a story has to follow them, and some of them even kinda depend on the viewer having a fresh perspective, so I think it's not wrong to try to approach them with a fresh perspective that sees the story as an alternate reality rather than a designed plotline.

> That sounds needlessly complicating, and pretty
    unlike my experience with spinoff media that try to show what characters
    (might) have done offscreen.

I wasn't referencing ViVid Strike in particular with that comment, but honestly I don't really see the problem with having alternate interpretations and speculating at how that changes what things mean and how things happen.  I mean, this is pretty common fan behavior anyway.

• Also, just because character types and plot types recur doesn't mean that a story has to follow them, and some of them even kinda depend on the viewer having a fresh perspective, so I think it's not wrong to try to approach them with a fresh perspective that sees the story as an alternate reality rather than a designed plotline.

Sure there's nothing wrong.

If you want to be delusional. There's not a whole lot that doesn't follow pre-established structures on a major level.

Also I can't think of anything that depends on "fresh" perspective outside of like, children's media, or if you're looking at something from a forever ago that might have been more novel once.

I wasn't referencing ViVid Strike in particular with that comment, but honestly I don't really see the problem with having alternate interpretations and speculating at how that changes what things mean and how things happen.  I mean, this is pretty common fan behavior anyway.

Common or otherwise, if you're aware that your interpretation doesn't match anything, you should understand that people aren't going to care about the particulars outside of like, fanfic sites, and I never hear of you actually writing fanfics. Also, pretty much the only times I've heard of alternate interpretations actually catching on is adaptations designed for more accessibility than their source material, i.e. super hero movies when compared to comics.
    Naas_Human wrote:
    Sure there's nothing wrong.  If you want to be delusional. There's not a whole lot that doesn't follow pre-established structures on a major level.  Also I can't think of anything that depends on "fresh" perspective outside of like, children's media, or if you're looking at something from a forever ago that might have been more novel once.
    There's nothing saying that I have to take a jaded, grizzled-veteran, "I can see everything coming" approach to, for example, an archetypal knight-slays-dragon-rescues-princess story.  There's no reason I can't just go with the flow and let it do its thing and enjoy the ride.  Same way I don't have to not enjoy a roller coaster ride just because I understand the physics behind it.
    Naas_Human wrote:
    ...you should understand that people aren't going to care about the particulars outside of like, fanfic sites, and I never hear of you actually writing fanfics.  Also, pretty much the only times I've heard of alternate interpretations actually catching on
    I was never looking for my interpretation to "catch on".  I don't really care whether it catches on; I just don't like the idea that the only correct interpretation is the fandom consensus interpretation.  If my interpretation happens to be the fandom consensus interpretation, I don't mind that either, though it might simply not come up as often since that's not something that can be argued over.
  • edited 2017-04-22 04:53:42
    also

> overselling modern entertainment

just because it's not written with greater meaning or profound beauty in mind doesn't mean it's wrong to find it in a work

J.S. Bach's cantatas were written, one a week, for regular church services
    yet people regard that as high art

the seeming distinction between what is or isn't considered "worthy" of finding meaning or artistic value/merit or enjoyment or whatever is really arbitrary and pretty much up to perceptions

now perhaps i AM using an atypical approach, because i'm sorta natively an instrumental classical musician, and instrumental classical music is generally much more abstract with regards to its meaning, so it is considered normal to engage one's imagination in interpreting and performing the music, usually (though not necessarily) with regards to attempting to discern period performance practices and social context as well as the context of the composer's own life and possible intentions (with varying degress of speculation depending on how well he/she left annotations).  so maybe i'm sorta taking this level of interpretative freedom to a medium that is generally seen as much more concrete with regards to its details, and instead of complaining when details aren't concrete, I allow the audience to fill in details and fit pieces together as needed, using their own imagination.

but honestly, it is really not that hard to see how this makes sense.  take any series.  let's say, a certain scientific railgun.  For some, it's a sci-fi story; for some, it's a slice-of-life story; for some, it's an action story; for some, it's a yuri story; for some, it's a superhero story; for some, it's a story about scientific ethics.  And so on.  And the work as it's presented supports all of them.  You can argue over which ones are more important, and you can argue over which ones the writers intended more, but you can't really argue about the fact that people found meaning in these interpretations, even the ones that weren't intended, and may have liked it for those specific reasons.

[/rant]

oh well, it's in the shitposting thread
    @Bluesy_Cowgirl metroid fusion
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    bubsy 3d
    rocket knight adventures
  • edited 2017-04-22 15:06:27
    Pika Girl
    dogs