If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The online D&D game I ran about a month ago didn't work out.

edited 2011-05-09 21:43:09 in Webspace
Has friends besides tanks now
While this is a gripe about something that happened a while ago, remembering it now ticks me off because the game was going so well before attendance went down the crapper, for whatever combination of reasons. Even though most of the players were new, the game was more fun than I usually have in my meatspace game. And I wonder if it was partly my fault for losing hope, rather than sticking it out a while longer. Though, if it gives any good perspective and justifies my decision in any way, it took about two months for a single level-up. In 3.5 Edition D&D.

Damn timezones, and damn real-life obligations. -sigh-

I also bring this up now partly because I have a new idea for a campaign that I want to try out, but I doubt an online game will work, period, and my meatspace buddies and I are well into a campaign already.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    :<

I really miss that game.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Hey Everest, is this the one that was a spinoff of funnyguts's game?
  • edited 2011-05-09 22:36:02
    Has friends besides tanks now
    It wasn't a spinoff of funnyguts's game; it was a game that started after I bitched about my meatspace group, well after funnyguts's game ended up fizzling out.

But it's the one you're thinking of, yes.
  • I'm thinking about running an online DnD campaign actually...
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ I wonder how much easier it would have been if we could have gotten MapTools to work. Come to think of it, I don't think we tried/got MapTools to work in the game I ran, either.

^ That reminds me.

I was going to see if I could run a game, or be a part of one, that only has four players and a DM, and in which all of the players are fairly experienced and within the same/similar timezones. I don't know how fair it would be to run a game while only allowing certain timezones, but under those conditions, it might be more likely to make progress. Especially if we could get something like MapTools to work.
    @funnyguts: For what it's worth, I later discovered a better site than that--Dabbleboard.  We used it during Mystery Hunt, though not that much; I think someone just later put up a livestream of their desktop for one of the puzzles that involved crossword reconstruction.

That said, you're right, it's very slow, between scheduling taking turns over the internet.  I know that Ironeye and others have been using Ventrilo to run a game before, but I don't know how well that's gone; that's or video chat is probably the closest thing to a live session as you can get.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find people nearby to play with, so I'm going to have to look online for my tabletop RPG fix...not to mention that we're in the middle of a relocation process which is likely going to continue for the next several months, so I'll have no time anyway.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Ewwww. 3.5
    What's wrong with 3.5
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I've been meaning to either try Pathfinder or run 4e online, but I might do 3.5, if it seems to be a good option. Assuming I get into another online group.
    I want to try BESM, but since it'll be my first time I want a very familiar MLS realtor GM.