If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I've lived a sheltered internet life

edited 2011-05-08 14:01:17 in Webspace
~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
I just joined into the Kongregate forum, and I feel a strange sort of underlining... dickish-ness.

Truly, the TvTropes fora are beautiful indeed. *hugs the moderators*

At present there is a battle going on between "newfags" making  pony thread after pony thread, and the others making threads to describe how much they hate the "ponyfags". I keep thinking "where in the hell are the mods?", but they never come. It doesn't bother me, really, but it's just so strange.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-08 15:04:24
    (void)
    In general, the bigger the forum, the shittier it is.

You can see this with tvtropes, whose mods have struggled with the forum's growth.

Kongregate is a huge site.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Such is the Law of Fan Jackassery.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I generally avoid most forums for that reason.

TvTropes and IJBM are the only ones I'm really active at all on.
  • The TvTropes fora has become too passive-aggressive for me. Months ago, I would have sneered at the people who were screaming that Fast Eddie was intolerant of all negativity, but now, I would say he is going too far.
  • edited 2011-05-08 15:34:05
    But you never had any to begin with.
    "I keep thinking "where in the hell are the mods?", but they never come."

Assuming you are referring to off-topic, that section of the fora has very few moderators who aren't also admins, and thus involved in, well, doing their actual jobs. Plus, all moderators on the forums also double as chat moderators, so...
  • It's clear which side you most join. Turn the forum into a /co/ clone and post pony macros.

• "Truly, the TvTropes fora are beautiful indeed."

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    ^At least there aren't 3 threads like that on every page.

"It's clear which side you most join. Turn the forum into a /co/ clone and post pony macros."

Way ahead of you. :D

In any case, it will have to wait. A mod (finally) stopped by and locked dozens of threads, then banned and temp banned tons a slew of users.

Maybe it was only horrible because I came along at the right time... I was tempbanned (24 hours) for starting a thread for no reason other than to mock the way that fag was being thrown around like mad. At least I think so. No reason was given, I'd have to ask.

*hugs TvTropes*

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >>TheMightyAnonym

>>banned

• Morgan Freeman is God
    I think Something Awful is a prime example of a large forum being done right.

First off, they charge you to register, preventing all sorts of trolls.

Second, have really high standards for posting. You can get banned for just speaking chatspeak or otherwise making a harmless shitpost.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Yup. Which is why I shit post here.
  • Generally the bigger anythign is the shittier it gets. This is why I hate the notion of large orginized collectives and societies becausde someone always gets a raw deal.
    "Generally the bigger anythign is the shittier it gets."

I beg to differ.  If you know what I mean.
  • a little muffled
    @GuyInWhite: Yeah, I have better things to do with my money than use it to join a shitty internet forum. Like spend it on small cardboard rectangles! Or virtual representations thereof!

On that note, the official Magic forums are surprisingly okay for their size. I mean, there are a lot of shit threads (especially in Magic General), but the community is decent and there's some fairly intelligent discussion there at times.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    I generally prefer the MTGSalvation forums, really.
  • edited 2011-05-08 22:37:05
    a little muffled
    Salvation's okay too. I post on there occasionally, but for whatever reason I've never been really active.
    "Like spend it on small cardboard rectangles!"

What kinds of cardboard rectangles are we talking here?

"Yup. Which is why I shit post here."

The really strange thing is that we have shit posting AND intelligent discussion (at least when we care enough to start a topic for such a purpose). We also have cookies. Nobody else has cookies.
    The Dark Side has cookies, though.

Does this mean that we are the Dark Side?
    Yes.
  • edited 2011-05-09 00:24:17
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Awesome.  I'll be the Emperor.

Vorpy, you can be Mara Jade, my sexy and hyper competent sidekick.

Anonym, you can be Darth Vader.

TOGETHER WE SHALL RULE THE GALAXY INTERNET
    Crap, I need to have kids now! If I adopt a kid and then disappear, can I still say "I am your father" when I see them again?
    Maybe.

It has to be in properly dramatic circumstances.
    I should adopt lots of kids so I can say it more than once. Even better, I'll just say it out of the blue to unsuspecting heroes.
  • edited 2011-05-09 00:34:50
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Just say it to every random redshirt you come across.  Then it will lose absolutely all meaning.
    Your side-kick? The hell I am. I call the Darkhorse Role.
    SHUT UP SIDEKICK

MAKE ME A SANDWICH

AN EEEEEEEEEVIL SANDWICH
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    "I was tempbanned (24 hours) for starting a thread for no reason other than to mock the way that fag was being thrown around like mad. At least I think so. No reason was given, I'd have to ask."

Since I just feel like clearing something up: You were silenced, rather than banned. A ban prevents you from logging in on your account, whilst a silence simply stops you from using the site chat/forums, to a maximum of a day.

You were indeed silenced for that thread, but a reason /was/ given (reasons are attached to every single silence, and displayed for the silencee)

Only administrators can actually apply permabans, whilst moderators are restricted to the aforementioned 24 hour silence (along with 1 hour and 15 minutes), in addition to hour, day, and week bans.
  • edited 2011-05-09 14:06:30
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Sort of like a tempban, anyhow, and I looked for a reason but saw none (It just says: "You have been silenced for 24 hours. Click here to read about silences."). I probably violated excessive vulgarity (even if it was non-serious and did not consist of spewing dirty words in all caps).

Given the nature of such a forum, I can understand why. It would be difficult to carefully moderate it, so swinging by and nuking stuff and/or punishing posters is a far more effective method (although quality will disintegrate in between such times). Locking a dozen threads and reprimanding a slew of people is way more powerful.

v I don't actually see anything there; not that it matters really. I only joined so that I could post a in a pony-related thread.

• edited 2011-05-09 12:34:41
    But you never had any to begin with.
    As I said in that previous post, the reason you were silenced was for making that thread. I would quote the reason, but I can't get to Kong from here.

EDIT: Okay, had a chance to get to the site, and the exact given reason is as follows: "Inappropriate Forum Topic http://www.kongregate.com/forums/2-off-topic/topics/166412-fag-as-a-suffix"
  • edited 2011-05-09 14:08:15
    a little muffled
    @TheMighyAnonym:
    What kinds of cardboard rectangles are we talking here?
    Magic: the Gathering cards (which aren't actually rectangular, but whatever).