If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hippies

edited 2011-01-20 22:32:17 in General
Hippie petitioner on campus is trying to get people to sign a thing to try to ban plastic bags in Oregon.

Banning reusable waterproof bags in a state known for its copious amounts of rain.  Yeah, great idea there bucko.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Obligatory:

• Nobody EVER reuses them though, because they are free and you can always get more.

Which is why commercial stores should sell their plastic bags.
  • What? I re-use my bags all the time. I even have this big-ass fabric bag I use to keep my smaller plastic bag I get from the supermarket. I call it my meta-bag.
  • They are good for impromptu garbage bags.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    I re-use them.

Constantly.
    I use supermarket bags as trash bags too.  All the time.
  • I use them as trash bags all the time, and my parents use them to pick up doody when walking the dog.

I also use one as an impromptu bathtub plug because this crappy apartment's bathtub valve is broken.
  • a little muffled
    Well, up here they now charge 5¢ for a bag, the idea being that it'll encourage people to reuse them. I dunno how well it works, though.
  • Thread title: Hippies

What I saw when I entered thread: "They are good for impromptu garbage bags."
  • Many shops here in Scotland charge a penny for a plastic bag.
  • It's like, why not just tax plastic bags a bit, then give tax break incentives to stores that give discounts to people who use the reusable cloth bags?
  • ...because that's over-complicating things for the purposes of questionable social engineering.

Also, I never bring bags to the supermarket. All the uses for bags I have are at home, like making them garbage bags or storing stuff.
  • Fair enough on overcomplication, though I'm not sure how it's questionable social engineering when we really could do with using the cloth bags more and almost nobody actually does.
  • edited 2011-01-23 15:39:57
    Questionable social engineering as in you think of something that we should all be doing as part of our lives and decide to use public policy as a way to influence us in that direction. That's not cool.
  • I think that they are beat on too much.  They had some interesting ideas like morphological fields.
  • Pykrete,
    I realize this is rather silly, but occasionally I worry that I am becoming too much of a hippie myself.

On the subject of plastic bags, I definitely have used them for other purposes rather than just trashing them right away, but I do not really have a problem with people wanting others to use cloth bags. That does not necessarily mean that I actually agree with the "hippie petitioner" in question and in truth, I know very little about the subject at hand.

Sorry, I guess I have seen petitions for things that I think make a lot less sense than banning plastic bags.

Petition to...
    • Declare marital law.
    • Decriminalize jaywalking.
    • Guarantee to every person a lifetime supply of scratch paper.
    • Restore IJBM on the TV Tropes forum.