If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Osama Bin Laden is dead.

edited 2011-05-01 21:55:56 in Meatspace
Now what? Seriously, what does his death accomplish besides emotional closure? It feels like a hollow victory. (Google it.)

Comments

• He'll be hailed as the great martyr of the age.

But I still am happy for whoever it was that got him, assuming he did get killed as opposed to just died.

• Golly. That's anti-climatic.

• Forgive me if I'm skeptical. I've heard this before.
  • This is depressing most depressing thing since the death of Billy Mayse.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Golly. That's anti-climatic.

This.
  • Now I remember why tnu got b&...
  • Is the hate really nessecary? I'm generally depressed right now so everything is depressing I find myself unable to celebrate death even if said person commited atrocities.
  • I, on the other hand, can't be more happy. Like, Return of the Jedi ending happy.
  • That's reasonable bu t still BecNoir was that really nessecary?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Pyrrhic Victory. Too much was already lost to be happy about this victory.
  • edited 2011-05-01 22:11:15
    Mexican fag
    Sorry about that, tnu.
  • Vorpy has a point. It's pretty pointless now really.
  • The problem is i'm a misanthrope so I have a hard time seeing anyone else including myself as any better.
  • OK...
  • Tnu, my condolences.

From where I stand, I'd prefer OBL was captured by an Afghan ally and sent to Guantanamo.   Also, it takes attention away from serious financial and economic problems, and nuclear security, all of which are far more important.   And it makes a major terrorist attack in the next few to several months a virtual certainty, IMHO.

However, I think of it this way:

• Have you committed any crimes that would be considered a violation of the Geneva convention if you were a nation at war, let alone a private citizen?
    • How many people have died on your orders?
  • condolences? I havn't had a death of anyone close to me so i'm not sure what you mean.
  • ^Sorry, I meant to say I'm sorry you feel bad about this.
  • it's starting to fade in to indifference. I don't agree iwth the majority of what my country does or any country for that matter.
  • I don't agree iwth the majority of what my country does or any country for that matter.

On that, we agree.

However, my sister could have been killed that day, she worked in the area and knew people who died.  So I am not indifferent.

• Actually, I take back my "anticlimactic" comment. This is pretty awesome.
  • Yeah, it's hard for this to feel climatic since we haven't been aware of all the events leading up to it. It's like hearing Dumbledore dies before reading the book.

I have doubts as to whether this accomplishes much, but I think the benefits of his death outweigh his martyr status by quite a bit. It's probably with quite a few points for morale, at least.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yeah, Obama's speech was pretty damn good.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Today is indeed a great day in history. And probably, the end of an era. Now, all we have to deal with is the remnants of that era 
    One down, an entire nation of willing replacements to go?
  • edited 2011-05-01 23:39:40
    You can change. You can.
     Also, this

^If anything, I see more people surrendering than people continuing the fight. This guy evaded the most powerful country in the world for 10 years. Do you think that after that anyone of them will remain hopeful?

There will be some who will try to struggle, but I see more people dropping out/surrendering than people keeping it up.
  • Mission Accomplished!
    This guy evaded the most powerful country in the world for 10 years.

I didn't know the UK was after Bin Laden too.
  • /laughs
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    ^^ Funny...