If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

idiots in New Media class

edited 2011-01-18 16:36:10 in Media
One of the surveys we had to take said to rank how trustworthy you consider various media to be: TV, newspaper, radio, blogs, scholarly journals, Facebook.  Facebook and blogs so far rank above scholarly journals.

The book is discussing franchises and licensing, and singing the praises of such gems as Matrix Revolutions and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent.  The teacher has expressed excitement over such wild and engrossing technological interface breakthroughs as Tony Hawk: Ride.

I realize it's a 100-level class and is pretty much by default a waste of time, but holy cripes.

Comments

• edited 2011-01-18 19:31:11
    Cue-bey
    Do the work for other classes during this one. Pat yourself on the back when you have extra free time.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    What on earth is the point of this class? Well OK, it PROBABLY has a reason, but... why?

This sounds like such a meaningless class...
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Hey, I took Media at A-level, it was all right.

I got a B and all.  Wasn't that easy, though.  People exaggerate.
  • I'm studying media at college, it's not easy. 
  • edited 2011-01-19 13:29:10
    I've taken other New Media classes as part of game design (mostly in the 300-400 area and relating to graphic design and multimedia) and they're actually pretty rigorous and worthwhile.  They're only making me backtrack for 101 because of a technicality.

Keep in mind New Media around here is kind of like Psychology at a lot of campuses, it's one of those things people major in when they don't actually have a major because it looks cool, then either switch or drop out once they get into actual substance.
  • edited 2011-01-26 14:38:14
    The teacher is talking about user interfaces, showed a World of Warcraft Decursive screenshot as an example of a "terrible and cluttered" one, and said Blizzard is liable for unauthorized fan-mod communities that edit the very scripts constructing the interface in the first place.  And also completely ignored the whole "learnability vs. efficiency" thing we spent a week on that this is in fact a perfect example of.