If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The attitude some tropers / IJBMers have towards certain opinions

BobBob
edited 2011-04-28 21:30:21 in IJBM meta
First of all, I didn't have a specific troper or thread in mind while making this, before anyone comments on something of the sort. Second, it does feel that at times tropers and IJBMers respond to certain opinions with unnecessary contempt and snark, not to mention if you like or dislike certain works, well, god help you.

Comments

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Aw, stop talking about me like that. :P

In reality, these types of people are all over the Internet. I wouldn't worry about them unless they get too obnoxious. 
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    As it turns out, tropers are people too.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-28 21:32:12
    ^^Point. Still, it's a bit daunting as I always saw TVTropes as that place where pretty much everything is cool as long as you're not a dick or anything, but it's seeming progressively more elitist. Not to mention, it seems as if it's a sin to like anything popular that isn't foreign.
    it seems as if it's a sin to like anything popular that doesn't come from Japan.

Don't worry; it's always been like that.
  •  but it's seeming progressively more elitist

I thought the problem was that TV Tropes was getting too hugboxy?
  • You act as if it can't be both.
  • edited 2011-04-28 21:36:29
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    ^^^ Well, if you want a board where you can post like a total goof without the other posters thinking you had too many wacks to the head, you're better off posting in a smaller board.
  • edited 2011-04-28 21:38:53
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I've felt that whatever that something is, it's caused TVTropes's forum quality to rapidly decline. Coincidentally, I felt less connected to it after IJBM was nuked. Imagine that.

Thing is, I have a feeling that the removal of IJBM is not related to the decline in overall forum quality.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    My guess is that forums just got big.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-28 21:40:19

"As it turns out, tropers are people too."

"Well, if you want a board where you can post like a total goof without the other posters thinking you had too many wacks to the head"

And this is exactly what I mean.

• You act as if it can't be both.

While it's not impossible, it would seem like a set of policies that explicitly discourage complaining and criticism of works and an increasingly elitist general attitude are two things that are hard to have at the same time.
  • ^Maybe it'll improve sometime in the future, but at the moment, the elitism and hugboxiness seem to go hand in hand. At the moment, it seems like said policies only apply on the wiki or whenever someone brings up IJBM.
  • Bob just used the word "hugbox" unironically.

She is no longer mai waifu.
  • edited 2011-04-28 21:44:59
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I think people are just logging into the forum when they are pissed off too frequently or not actively avoiding things they dislike.

^ hugbox is a meaningless buzzword.
  • Bob is a girl?
  • What's wrong with "hugbox"? Is there a word that has the same referent that you'd rather someone use?
  • what's a hugbox anyway?
  • It's like a circlejerk, only whinier.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    No, it's a box made to simulate hugs for people who are afraid of human on human contact.
  • Hell i'm afraid of human on human contact.
    I don't get it either. You can go on countless websites to see that TVTropes is one of the least higboxxy sites on teh intertubes. 
  • This is a hugbox.

In recent years it has become a derogatory term for a part of the internet.

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    Due to me lurking around certain forum, I keep seeing "hug" as fuck.
  • Wasn't that something invented by an autistic girl to calm cows down?
  • edited 2011-04-28 22:07:54
    Loser
    Noimporta,
    I guess the problem is that people are very willing to give hugs, but only to their buddies. I am not sure if I am totally being serious about that though, sorry.

Bob,
    While I probably am not qualified to comment on how TV Tropes' forums has changed, I do agree that sometimes people respond to comments with unnecessary contempt and snark here and elsewhere. I wonder if there really is a solution to that kind of thing though. I guess one possible solution would be to try to avoid discussing or looking at discussions of certain unpopular works in the forums where they are unpopular and either talking about them with your friends instead or talking about them in forums that are more friendly to them.

This might sound too idealistic or naive, but maybe you could make a game of responding as politely and nicely as possible to comments that show contempt or snark and going about your way like they do not affect you at all. Still, I guess that might be too hard to attempt. I suppose just ignoring them might be an even better solution.

You probably could just post something like this instead, but unfortunately (in my opinion) some people really dislike memes.

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The thing is that not everyone wants to be civil, and some do want to inject aggressiveness and edge into their comments, and the only safe way to do that for them is to take the avenue of condescension, snide commentary and feigned indifference.
  • Like you Vorpy? j/k
    Being too far on either end of the spectrum is dangerous and stupid.