If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

That the current set of rules are not well-defined enough.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @curiousTraitor: Care to link a few?
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:12:16
    Here is one example. The thread had derailed massively, you said you wanted to thump posts, but then you entered the discussion as a user instead of telling people to knock it off in a modvoice.

I was looking for a separate example where you said "Tell me if this thread needs locked" implying that you knew the thread needed to be locked at some point, but not actually acting as a voice of authority, more like a casual observer who knew the shit was hitting the fan, but wasn't going to do anything about it until someone complained.
    I generally don't like thumping posts.  It removes content and does afraid of paper trail leaves an awkward trail of destruction.

That gigantpost contains both my comments as a user and my comments as a moderator.  You are probably right, though, that I should have separated the two.  Perhaps I should have locked that thread and started a new one.  Would you prefer I do that?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    ... The Zelda thread could probably use a lock, yes.

The other thread was Rott's.

The problem he is stating here is, Glenn, is that you need to act in a Mod capacity more.
  • Sometimes inflammatory content needs to be removed.

Yes, at the time a lock and restart with a less inflammatory OP probably would have been better. Not sure if that would be the best solution at the moment as I've stopped reading that thread for the most part.
  • I think we've passed the time where a lock would have done anything. I think it's safe to talk about Zelda there now.

Though I'd be fine if it just got deleted and we started a new one.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:21:13
    Oh, and "It's just that we have to make sure that when people argue, they argue
    about the content and don't attack each other in the process.  (And yes,
    this includes calling names.)"

I think that kind of attitude is why the old fora was such a hellhole. Invective is, in my book, perfectly acceptable as long as valid points are made in concurrence with it. To try and mandate politeness and outlaw insults is putting the cart before the horse, because it just promotes a culture where idiocy is less harshly punished than exasperation and outrage, which is silly. That sort of thing is why BonSequitur was banned, and anyone who knows him is fully aware he contributed a great deal to the old fora, and continues to contribute to both IRC channels.

I say let the insults fly, and punish them only if there is an absence of evidence the person doing the insulting is capable of rational thought or debate. To use myself as an example, I don't think anyone can deny that while invective laced and to some eyes angry, my posts are generally at least thought through enough to make reasonable points that can be addressed independently. This is a far cry from simple antagonisation through insults, and a good moderation team would in my opinion be aware of the difference, rather than lumping both behaviours in together.
    > I think we've passed the time where a lock would have done anything.

That's the main reason I didn't lock it.  That said, it probably doesn't matter if I do.

Rott's thread is a big pain in the ass.  I'll decide on that later.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    > Does it contribute (or at least not actively harm) to the discussion y/n

> Yes- move on

> No- edit the post, warn the user
    > Invective is, in my book, perfectly acceptable as long as valid points are made in concurrence with it.

And in my book, it's not.  You can call this "hugbox" or any other name you want; haters gonna hate.  And I wouldn't say that Bon was an especially notable contributor to either the forum or #yackfest; I have not hung out on #tropers in ages so I wouldn't know about that channel.

Yes, people can read your posts and get your points independent of your invective, GB, but that does not prevent the invective from being distracting.

Or, if you prefer, really fucking distracting.
    I is too tired to really follow this

Basically: Cut down on the fuckin' swearin.

Glenn's not even asking you to be civil. Merely non-inflammatory.
  • BonSequitur was a big contributor to the wiki as a whole (In fact, he was nearly the only regular wiki editor capable of rendering an informed opinion on Brazilian issues, and when he was banned, he made note of how his absence would likely result in a decline in the quality of a number of brazilian works pages) , idles in #yackfest all the time and engages in discussion there almost as much as in #tropers, hosts and owns #tropers, and posted a lot on the forum.

His only bugbear was rotty, and he was banned on the basis of an offhand comment made about Rotty that was by anyones standards entirely ridiculous and clearly a method of simply describing exasperation with him.

Compare that to, say, Chagen, Tnophelia, Rotty himself, Vorpy, DLC, Tongpu, Sand Joseiph, Spain Sun, or any number of others, and the man was a bloody saint. None of them contributed anything, most were tremendously stupid, SS in particular seems to have some anger issues, seeing as being factually corrected, with reference given, was apparently enough to "Make him angry as far into the red as it is possible to go". I can't say I'm cut-up over the absence of any of these people from any forum, and any that are left, either here or on the TVTropes fora proper, are the exact reason I'm not a major member of either any longer, because they're annoying and contribute nothing, actively degrading quality of conversation, yet the lax moderation and backwards set of priorities shared by both sets of moderators seems determined to let them thrive no matter how dumb they are, while providing them a safe haven from those um-heap-big meanies that might dare to actually call them as stupid as they are.
    BonSequitur is cool...

But yeah... No, I'm not really into reading post after post of people bashing each other.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:39:22
    Who said anything about bashing? I just said that insults are not the kind of negativity that any forum needs to clamp down on as a priority. They may well grow to be an issue, and I'm sure if everyone posted in the style of my rants all the time it would be, but even *I* don't post in RANT-MODE all the time, as GMH is well aware.

There are far more important problems to be considered on the topic of forum moderation, than politeness. One of them is quality of conversation, and while its impossible to vet a forum for intelligence, its more than possible to note which users opinions are so consistently uninformed they preclude intelligent discussion by other users when that person becomes involved in a discussion. Your main interest should be to provide an environment conducive to long term conversation, that doesn't rely on passive aggression or veiled insults to allow members to make their opinions of others known. Allowing negative elements such as Vorpy or Chagen to continuously derail and destroy discussion through either having such a reputation it destroys otherwise worthwhile topics, or by taking advantage of a backwards priority like excessive politeness, is more damaging in the long run to any fora, than predictable and controllable flamewars over topics that people can be expected to get heated over, like religion. As my long rant pointed out, that thread was full of passive aggression, mockery, sarcasm, and all sorts of negative feeling, that had it been against anyone but Chagen, could only have been called "A forum full of people being dicks to someone"

Oh wait. Its still called that, no matter how much Chagen deserved it.
    Nah, you don't do it. Rather surprised, you're a lot more intelligent than people made you out to be.

The problem is, if the mods allow just anyone to rant like that, well... Not all members can do it like you can. And that's the point where the mods'd have to step in anyway.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:42:45
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    > GMH: And I wouldn't say that Bon was an especially notable contributor to either the forum or #yackfest;

You wound me, sirrah!
    I demand a duel!
  • Glaives are better.
    1. Be civil, even if it's to people you disagree with. This means that you cannot use insulting language to describe other posters.

2. No ad hominem attacks. Attacking a person and not their argument cheapens the discussion, even if no insults are used.

3. Shitposting is discouraged, but allowed if the resulting hilarity is considered funny enough by the other users.

4. Bans are done by moderators and are done publicly, along with a justification for the banning. Permanent bans (i.e. those lasting more than six months)  may be overturned by popular demand from users in good standing, if the reason for banning was a social infraction and not an attack on the site.

5. Drama is discouraged, but an unpopular argument is no reason for bans. Should a controversial thread become too heated for any meaningful discussion to take place, moderators may temporarily lock the thread.

6. Non-work safe material (sexually explicit, violent or profane) is reserved for threads marked with the tag "(NSWF)" at the beginning of the thread title. Additionally, titles may not include sexually suggestive language (even if it's funny, like a thread entitled "Red hot young pussies rubbing together" containing pictures of wrestling orange kittens), profanity or other significantly objectionable material.

7. Hate speech (defined as slurs against a person's race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, political identity or other intrinsic traits) is forbidden.

That's all I can think of for now.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:47:01
    "Permanent bans (i.e. those lasting more than six months)  may be overturned by popular demand from users in good standing"

I disagree with this. It's not the users' job to make moderation decisions. Also, what is considered good standing? Is it merely being allowed to post? What consideration is given to the reason why they were banned?
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:50:29
    Glaives are better.
    I like Guitar Bizarre. His bluntness is refreshing.

EDIT: If enough regularly contributing people fervently think that someone is a good contributor and the reason for his ban is lacking, then one mod's perspective on the issue is questionable.

"Good standing" would be defined as "regularly posts, hasn't been banned recently and isn't a sockpuppet."
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    That's actually very good. For a thread like the Berserk Button one, though, would insults be allowed? And I assume that being a distraction from an on-topic discussion, or derailing a thread for no reason, is discouraged. 
    I would only think to agree to it if: (fuck wait I'm not a mod why am I even talking)

a) The user would be immediately rebanned if another infraction, any infraction was made over those six months;

b) The user publicly, sincerely apologized for the misdemeanour and promised to mend their behaviour;

c) They agreed to be watched closely by the mods during their probationary periods.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:53:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @BonSequitur: I don't know your wiki contributions, and I also rarely meet you in conversation as we share few common interests, for what it's worth.

@Hatter: But those walls of invective text bring back the mugginess...
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:55:46
    Cygan - So let them rant. They'll unstick themselves eventually and the mods will come in to pick up the pieces. But let it be a lower priority. I think a sense of community and a sense of encouraging discussion comes first, and once thats been established, the majority of conflicts will end themselves as the dumb and dumber parts of the forum grow to realise they're not receiving their warm blanket and cocoa from the mods after they anger other forum members with their stupidity for the umpteenth time. An intelligent forum will mostly weed out the dipshits and troublemakers on its own, rejecting them itself and letting the mods only step in to curb the flamewars and ban the people who turn out to be the cause, which, in my experience, is as often the person not shouting, as is.

Turning the mods into glorified playground attendants for a bunch of geeks old enough to not necessarily need that sort of patronising supervision regards their language and demeanour, is counter-productive. Its more work for the mods to start with, since it requires practical involvement in a much lower level part of forum life, and it doesn't attack the root cause of any such dispute, which is usually that one or other people involved is being stupid and needs to render themselves more informed on the topics they're discussing, yet refuses to do so to the extent one or both parties becomes angry.

Not to mention of course, the fact that its staggeringly easy to be breathtakingly rude while still being perfectly civil. My post in the zelda thread pointed out a few examples, and what little I've read of this board is just as littered with that sort of crap, as the old IJBM always was.

I dunno, Guitar.

I'm not a mod. And it's 9AM, and I'm currently starving and suffering from sleep deprivation.

Someone who can actually do something here needs to step in.
  • Hatter - I disagree with your first proposed rule. As I mentioned above, the person shouting loudest or most insultingly isn't always the person in the wrong in a dispute. It may well correlate in a number of instances, but its not a flag to say "This person is the incorrect party in this argument and must be dealt with."

After all, correlation is not causality. Its as easy to rely on invective through exasperation as it is through being unable to reason. And vice versa, its as easy to get under someones skin politely, as it is to do so with insults. In fact, given the art-form the TVTropes fora has managed to make out of passive aggression and veiled insults, its arguably what most tropers are best at, given the two options.
  • Passive aggressiveness is practically a required part of any forum where politeness is the judgement for bans.
  • Exactly, and its BULLSHIT.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Why?
  • Loopholes, presumably.