If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Right-wing organizations always hide behind really nice "patriotic" names

edited 2011-04-17 23:55:35 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Examples: Citizens United, American Future Fund, Tea Party Express, Tea Party Nation, Super PAC for America, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, American Action Network, American Crossroads, American Patriot, and many more.  (Yes, the "U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a political organization, not a government organization, even though its name sounds like the latter.)

And just now I've been seeing "Energy Citizens" ads on the TV Tropes forum.  I checked them out, and sure enough...yeah.

...are you conservatives compensating for something?

Comments

• Everyone does this.

The People's Republic of China is not much of a republic as we think it to be.
  • Well, when you can't appeal to reason, you appeal to emotion.

Snark aside, it seems like a relatively standard political tactic. If left-wingers do it less, it's probably because it provokes negative reactions in their base.
  • Conservatives believe that they are «Real Americans».
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I see left-wing organizations doing this too, but less.  And a lot of them use more conveniently identifying tags, such as "Progress", in their names.  Or just totally random names, like "Move On".

As for People's Republic of China, that's why we have a People's Republic of Tyranny trope. :P
  • This has been done since before we were a country. Alexander Hamilton and his ilk called themselves Federalists even though they were Nationalists sticking Jefferson and co with anti-Federalists.
  • «Or just totally random names, like "Move On".»
    That one actually derives from «Censure and Move On», which is what they wanted to do with Clinton during the impeachment stuff.
    «This has been done since before we were a country. Alexander Hamilton and his ilk called themselves Federalists even though they were Nationalists sticking Jefferson and co with anti-Federalists.»
    This is because Hamilton et al. wanted to create a federal system and Jefferson et al. did not.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    ^ Well, you know, Jefferson wasn't one of the guys who had a problem with the Constitution. It was more like Hamilton wanting to increase national (federal) power, with Jefferson wanting to decrease it. And of course, from the way you just said what you said, I'm sure you already knew that. Just talking for the sake of the audience. :-)
    Fun thought: Consider the major parties at the time of the American Civil War: Republican and Democrat. Forget about slavery... just consider, which party was in favor of increasing states' rights? And which party was in favor of increasing the power of the national government? Yup. Fun little reversal.
  • and a good number of Republicans were anti-slavery if memory serves me right and it'snot somuch of a reversal as it is a merge.
    Well, what I meant was back in those days, Democrats were the party for protecting state rights while Republicans were the party that epitomized national power--thanks to Abe Lincoln. Nowadays, Republicans are more likely to champion state rights while Democrats focus more on the national.
  • ^^ That's because back then Republicans were the Democrats and the Democrats were the Republicans. Then it flip flopped sometime in the early 20th century.

Just think of it 'geographically'

The South has always been against civil rights and the North has always campaigned for them.
  • What about Alaska and California?
  • Californai is technically "North" as it was designated as a free state when the line was drawn. Alaska I have no idea.
  • During the Civil War, Alaska was Russian territory.
  • then we bought it for its resources.
  • ^ No. We bought it because it was cheap. And then we found gold and oil and peeps were like "Okay, shit. Good call Polk, srry 4 making fun of u"

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Polk was the great unsung hero of America. Okay, not really. 

That would be Edmund G. Ross
  • You know Polk probobly acquired the second greatest ammount of land for this country.
  • Alaska was Russian territory?

Why would Russia want more frozen wasteland?

"The South has always been against civil rights and the North has always campaigned for them."

Dude, that's quite the generalization. Here in the "south", we're less proud of some things (center of slavery) than we are of other things (first Jewish cabinet member in North America--- the Confederacy's Judah P. Benjamin). I'll also remind you which section of the continent held the Salem Witch Trials. :-)

And why are you guys talking about Polk? Andrew Johnson was president during the purchase of Alaska. James Polk was president of the United States before the Civil War (1845-1849), and his biggest claim to fame was annexing Texas and then engineering the Mexican War to take more land for the U.S., including California.

• Baron....the Salem Witch Trials were held in the North because the North was the only place in America at the time. All the crazy south people were still stuck up there, it would just be a while before they moved down.
  • Chagen you of all people should know better wheni t comes to bad Sterotypes I'm a southerner and I make an attempt to be omnitolerant.
  • I live in Texas, Tnu. Though I live in a liberal town.
  • edited 2011-04-18 08:26:40
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    ^^^ Jamestown, Virginia was the FIRST permanent English colony settled. And though Virginia a slavery center at the time, those early days had slavery all over the colonies/world. But the religious extremism of kicking people out of your colony because they were the wrong kind of Christian, or because they were Jewish? That was primarily in the New England Puritan colonies. Just saying. :-)
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Hey, hey, calm down. It made Rhode Island, after all. 
    :-( I try to use my smilie smilies to let folks know that I'm enjoying myself with these little talks. I guess it came off as sardonic/sarcastic bitterness. 'Twasn't the intent!
  • I like turtles.
    Um... yeah.  As mentioned a couple of times already, it's not just the right-wing organizations that do this.

Although they are the only ones being truthful about it 

It's just human nature.  You've got good and bad eggs on all sides.
  • edited 2011-04-18 09:02:07
    [tɕagɛn]
    This is Politics we are talking about. Truth goes to die there.
    Agreed, Chagen!
  • Well said Chagen.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Politicians rarely actively lie.

In fact, they really don't lie much more than the average citizen. People gain an overinflated view of how much they do because that is what the media focuses on- their lies, not the many times they tell the truth,