If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Problem of Evil/Human Suffering

edited 2011-01-08 19:14:54 in Philosophy
It always comes up. And it's never answered. And every other religion thread has it. So why not this damned forum? FUCK!

Comments

• What do you want to know?
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Evil exists because it has to. It cannot not exist. Without evil there cannot be anything else. Evil is the absence of presence.

We lean to it, as it polarizes us.

It is dark, and it is everywhere.

Evil is the great shadow of perfection.

Evil is.

Evil.

You cannot wish it away.

You cannot create a free willed world without it.

It just is.

And shall be.

You cannot destroy it, nor create it; for it is a special sort of vacuum.

You can only fill it up, and weigh it down; or perhaps send it elsewhere.

It is not a toy. It cannot be controlled.

Evil is real.

And more terrifying than anything else.

It is cold.

It is alive.

It is intelligent.

It exists, and yet it is nowhere.

And yet it is everywhere.

That is what evil is.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    ...And for some unfathomable reason, I ended up expecting to read "It is SHODAN." somewhere in that.
    Evil is an anomaly.

An everlasting anomaly.

Which appears in everything that is created...
  • I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool
    The idea being is that free will creates the capacity for morality and immorality but virtue can only come out of free will, along with evil.
  • I think evil is any action that is deliberately taken to harm others in some form.
    Evil is a great fire.

It consumes us, and aims to feed.

When I person heart is stolen by Evil, he can no longer think, but becomes a heartless animal...

...only capable of consumption themselves.

It does not merely exist in actions...

...but also exists in our thoughts.

Even without harming another...

...a living thing can brim with Evil.

A mere thought, never acted upon...

...still is an incarnation of Evil.

...Evil...
  • How do you describe evil? Can we think of something that is always 100% evil?
  • edited 2011-01-08 14:18:20
    Killing a baby, raping the corpse, then doing the same to its mother?
    ^^ Pop music? I kid, I kid. And other than that, I'm not sure.
    I forgot, but I was told that incest was one of the few universial taboos.
    Tell that to the Royal Family of medieval England.
  • what if the baby was going to become hitler later in life? and the mother listened to pop music?
  • "Free Will" is a buzzword. It really doesn't have any coherent meaning
    Evil in the context of the Problem of Evil is not evil in the sense of the reflection of Good or crap like that, it's more a reference of the existence of suffering.
    Flame War is the state of all things.
  • I always get so tired of the "evil is necessary for existence" idea.

Anyway, I'm going to be an asshole and paste dictionary definitions.

–adjective
    morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
    harmful; injurious: evil laws.
    characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
    due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
    marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.
    –noun
    that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
    the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
    the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
    harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
    anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
    a harmful aspect, effect, or consequence: the evils of alcohol.
    a disease, as king's evil.
    –adverb
    in an evil manner; badly; ill: It went evil with him.
    —Idiom
    the evil one, the devil; Satan.
  • Anyone willing to abandon of the three essential criteria (omnipotent, omniscience, or all lovingnessnessness) is immune to the Problem of Evil, at least to some extent.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    The last one is omnibenevolence.

And actually, you just have to abandon one.
  • Evil doesn't exist to me. Everyone thinks they are the good guy, or they are doing something that is not evil.
  • That's stupid. People claim to be evil all the time.
  • Most of the people who claim evil are people who are trying to look cool.
    What Poni said.

If you claim to be evil, you're immature and lack priorities. Bottom line, there.
    I'm not sure if people can claim to be evil but there are people who claim to either disregard morality or state they are above it, which tends to go hand in hand with evil.
    No one is above morality, everyone has standards of some kind. And they're sadly misinformed if they claim otherwise.
    The idea of the ubermensch comes close to stating that very ideal, but that is generally a misinterpretation.

I forgot how Existentialism explained it but essentially, you reject the idea of morality coming from outside of you (society, God) and become your own source of morality. This was only advocated when either society or God was either morally corrupt or deficient.

There was a term for someone who rejected external morality and failed to substitute their own but it generally is something akin to a fool.
  • Some people are just pessimistic about their morality.

I didn't want to single anyone out, but Edmania is a good example. (Not that I take his word for being evil.)
  • edited 2011-01-08 17:56:32
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Well note that I said "of some kind". Said standards aren't necessarily external, but for everyone, there is something that they won't do. And that list comprises morality, not necessarily a standard one, but morality nonetheless.

edit: Gelzo: Well for one thing, I wouldn't feel too bad about singling someone out in this case. For another, "pessimistic about their morality" is just a display of poor self-esteem.
    I wasn't say evil is necessary for existence, but it is pretty much the result of free will.
    Well, in so much as I can't imagine that free will cannot include the ability to be evil.
    Not sure what you're trying to say.
    Free will has to include the ability to be evil as well as good otherwise it isn't "free" will.