If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

9/11 was Unforgiveable. Opinion or Fact?

edited 2011-04-13 01:11:26 in Philosophy
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
Answer the question please.

Comments

• Opinion.  One I happen to hold, but opinion nonetheless.

A fact would be who did it, how many people died, etc.

• edited 2011-04-13 01:15:07
    Therein lies another question: if it isn't a fact, and forgiving al-Quada for it was even conceivable, why in the hell should they be forgiven for it?
  • If at least one person has forgiven 9/11, the statement is proven false.
  • edited 2011-04-13 01:31:16
    Well then why should a terrorist organization be forgiven for killing more than 6000 civilians in a single attack?
  • I don't know why you're asking this.
  • edited 2011-04-13 03:26:38
    ^ Because in their own misguided way they believed they were doing something good? I mean, from their perspective they attacked and killed a part of the biggest evil the world has ever seen, which is somewhat commendable when you think about it.

(Not that I endorse terrorism in any form, I'm just putting a spin on the argument)
  • edited 2011-04-13 05:43:13
    Because you never know what you might see.
    It depends whether, by "unforgivable", you mean "something nobody could forgive" or "something really bloody awful which I don't think should be forgiven".  The former is probably false, but if true, would be a fact.  The latter is an opinion.
  • I personally don't see any particular reason why the people behind the attacks should be forgiven.

The problem is with those who choose not to "forgive" everyone of the same ethnicity as those behind the attacks. (If you're reading this: Hi, Mom.)

• Because you never know what you might see.
    I suppose if you want a less prissy, less "academic" answer, then I don't see the point in forgiving them.  They're dead now, and it wasn't me they hurt, not directly.
  • Forigveness or non-forgiveness isn't the first thing I think of when I think of 9/11.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

"Because in their own misguided way they believed they were doing something good?"

I can forgive them, but it has nothing to do with thinking there was any validity to their actions.

• ^ Tell me why you'd forgive them, then. I'm honestly curious.

Well, it can't be what we normally think of as forgiveness, right? I mean, for that you'd need the perpetrators to actually apologize or even feel bad for what they did--the actual participants are dead, while their supporters haven't exactly expressed regret. So I guess in a sense it's more of not carrying the hate around?

They're human, like all of us. They've made mistakes. They do evil things, without actually being evil beings. Maybe I'm still sketchy on the details of it all, but that's sort of how I approach it.

• edited 2011-04-13 10:39:37
    Oh, we're all human. Everyone makes mistakes. Some people cheat on their taxes, some people commit mass murder.
  • So mass murderers make bigger mistakes. They're still human.
  • Humans who killed 6000+ people.
    Perhaps the use of the word "forgive" is misleading. I'd still expect the organizers to be punished. But... you know... probably not as cutthroat as some people.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There are two definitions of "unforgiveable":

1. something that cannot be forgiven, cannot be given forgiveness.  Since the only known entities capable of forgiving, on this Earth, are humans, this would mean that it's something that no human has forgiven or will forgive.

2. something that should not be forgiven.

In the case of definition 1, this is a statement of fact.  And as I am pretty sure that there is at least one human here on Earth who has forgiven 9/11, therefore this fact is false.

In the case of definition 2, this is a statement of opinion.  Such statements, which are normative, are a matter of preference and cannot be falsified unless said preference is expressed in mathematical terms according to some more-or-less-arbitrarily-decided method.
  • So that basically means that Vorpy's question is self-defeating?
    ^ I think a lot of us have just automatically rephrased the question.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    BaronGrackle, your presence is needed in the postmodernism thread.