If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Rape is not about sex"

edited 2011-04-10 18:08:02 in IJBM meta
Cue-bey
Why can no one ever point me to scholarly studies that prove this? Why is it always backed up solely with vague assertions that rape is about "power", based purely on their hazy idea of what a rapist's motivations might be? Why are people always so absolutist about this?

Comments

• a little muffled
    Why does this thread seem so familiar?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Because we had one like it on the old IJBM.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    How'd it end?
  • Fun, I imagine.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    With rape?

OP: Some of it is about asserting dominance over another person. Some of it is the self-gratification. Some of it is because rapists are too pathetic to get sex with a consensual partner. It varies depending on the case. 
  • No, I have it on good authority from whiny social justice people on livejournal that rape is always about power, no exceptions whatsoever.
  • edited 2011-04-10 21:26:23

OP: Because of the mentality that rape victims were "asking for it" by tempting the guy into losing control of his libido or whatever. By setting the precedent that rape is about power, they help distance rape from sex, and therefore help get rid of the "asking for it" mentality.

^ Quit being so sensitive about this. If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was something you're not telling us from the way you phrase these posts.

• edited 2011-04-10 21:47:49
    I guess it would be easy to justify something like this, assuming there are studies that show no decrease in rape-attempts by those incapable of having sex.

I have no idea that there are any such studies. I hope that's the case, unless this is something that is just pulled out of the air because it sounds good.
  • edited 2011-04-10 21:47:21
     just pulled out of the air because it sounds good.

Sometimes I get the feeling people think something is more likely to be true if it's ironic.
  • >Sometimes I get the feeling people think something is more likely to be true if it's ironic.

QF fuckin' T, man. That's its own thread, right there.

• edited 2011-04-10 21:56:31
    The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Sometimes I get the feeling people think something is more likely to be true if it's ironic.

Which is pretty ironic itself, considering that most people don't even know what irony truly means. Heck, I'm not all that sure that I used the term right in the previous sentence.
  • Irony means absolutely nothing but pretending to be an idiot in order to gain reactions; that's what it meant in Socrates's time and that's what it means now.
  • edited 2011-04-11 00:08:32
    ^^^ I actually thought about making a thread about that some time ago.

^^ Huh, I guess you're right. Thinking about it, it doesn't sound very ironic.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

The problem is that irony is weakly-defined.

"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected"

What a lame, all-inclusive definition. You know what the best irony is? Something happening, specifically because attempts were made to keep it from happening. You hear that Death is coming to take you tonight, so you go to the next town to hide, and it turns out that town was where Death was planning to grab a victim tonight. That's irony. So for rape... the purest irony would be if, rapists did what they do because they fear sex or fear rape itself. :)

• I think some cases of rape are all about the power. But when it comes down to rape where a guy just sees a girl at a bar, spikes her drink, follows her outside, and rapes her, then its all about the sex.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    The problem is that some rapists seem to actually get away with the "she asked for it" and "I'm a man, I can't help it" bullshit. As long as there are morons who believe that to be valid argumentations, people will try to distance sex from rape.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I'm willing to vouche for "Rape is about sex, and the fuckers who can't get it the normal way." "rape is about power" just sounds like bodice ripper bullshit.
  • edited 2011-04-13 05:47:28
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I'd be suspicious of both "rape is about sex" and "rape is about power".  Both sound plausible, but both are generalisations about a (sadly) fairly common human behaviour, and therefore unlikely to be true in all cases.

So what GLORIOUSLeader said, basically.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Rape is about sexy power.
  • ^ That just makes it sound like you have rape fantasies :/
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Who says that she doesn't?
    Who says that I don't?

Me.
  • You don't get to decide that.
    Yes I do, but nobody else can.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Not even someone with a mind-control device?
    Nope, I am infallible and perfect, and make any decision I want, but nobody else can.