If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So I finally decided to watch an episode of K-On!

edited 2011-04-07 22:35:49 in Media
Can someone please explain to me what Yui's appeal is supposed to be? I can understand liking annoying flawed characters because of character development, but Yui is below even This Loser Is You. Had it not been for her, I could have passed off the first episode as merely acceptably inoffensive.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-07 22:38:17
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    inb4 DYRE

Also, Yui's character was badly written but most of the fandom refuses to admit that.
  • The abridged series is pretty good:

• Yui is tied for my favorite character in the series.  Or perhaps in any series.  I dunno what else to say though.
  • "perhaps in any series"

Strange tastes, my friend.

But to the OP, I can't say. I just think she's a little amusing in a pathetic way.

Of course I didn't have enough interest in this show to watch more than half-way through it.
  • This is the person who thinks that Madoka is more interesting than Homura.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:03:55
    I don't think I ever said she was more "interesting."

More like, she was likeable whereas Homura is the opposite of likeable.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:04:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Homura's likeable after she gets her backstory. She just really needs a hug.
  • In any case, don't take my opinions on Madoka Magica very seriously.  They're largely motivated by being annoyed at the fanbase.

I'll probably try watching it again once it stops being so popular, and see if that helps at all.  I was liking it for the first half or so of the series, after all.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's why I avoid fandom to a great extent. How much of it did you watch before you gave up on it?
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:11:38
    "oh my god it's high octane nightmare fuel, worse than higurashi and elfen lied"

:/

makes me wonder if anyone even watches higurashi or elfen lied before comparing those shows to MadMag
    Madoka...scary? I don't really see it. Just depressing.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:26:36
    I basically gave up on it at around episode 6, but I ended up watching the next three episodes anyway to see if it got any better.  It didn't, really.

And also, yeah, Madoka Magica is definitely not scary in any way.  Also I couldn't think of it as depressing, but that's probably because I don't like any of the characters (except Madoka, somewhat) so I don't particularly care what happens to them.

But anyway I apparently just have bad taste or something so my opinions are unimportant.
    ^Watch. Episode. 10. Just trust me on this one.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:30:43
    I might as well.  I'm already 3/4 of the way through the show, so I might as well finish it... eventually, since the rest of it's not actually going to be aired...

But anyway, downloading episode 10 right now.

Let's see how that goes...
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:31:22
    Even if you didn't like the series, it should improve it a good deal. It's the "stuff gets explained" episode.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:42:28
    ETA: 17m19s.  So in that amount of time, plus the time it takes to watch the episode, I'll be able to decide... something!

Like, I dunno.  Um... like whether or not I hate the show or just think it's mediocre, which I still am not sure of.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:47:44
    No spoilers please.

Just rate it on a scale of 1 - 20

1 being "boring", 10 being "redeemable to watch once" 20 being "You can watch it multiple times"
  • Madoka Magica?

For me it'd be like... 10-ish.  Combined with being annoyed at how popular it is, it's like a 7.  But if I was describing it to someone else I'd probably give it more like a 15 or so just because I know a lot of people do like it, even if I don't, and I can kind of see why they do.  It just doesn't work for me, I guess.
  • edited 2011-04-08 01:51:13
    I found the series to be somewhere in the 12-14 range before episode 10 and retroactively 19-20 afterwards.
  • edited 2011-04-08 02:28:18
    Well, I watched episode 10.  Shockingly, it wasn't awful.

It actually was a pretty big improvement over the past few episodes.  Though I'd hardly say it makes up for them.  While it does make the overall story of the series... well... not complete shit, I still think they could have done the other parts better.  Like, by not waiting until episode 10 to tell you what the plot of the series is.  I know, there's a reason for it, but... I dunno.  While I think I will actually watch the next two episodes whenever they come out, I still think the middle part of the series was pretty bad, so I'll never be able to say it's a great show or anything like that.  But at least I can consider it more than barely mediocre.
  • edited 2011-04-08 02:37:39
    Also I have not watched any K-On

I guess this is where I should say "Well go watch it then!" but I won't since I don't think anyone particularly trusts my judgment when it comes to... well... anything, but anime in particular. Also because apparently nobody actually likes K-On! (judging by how often I see people complain about it) (also yes I know it's an exaggeration, since obviously K-On! is actually very popular).

Also I think my posts are getting stupider and stupider.

Maybe I need to take a break from IJBM...
  • K-On! is a pretty boilerplate slice of life anime. It's acceptable but not remarkable.
  • edited 2011-04-08 02:45:39
    ^^ Yeah, I can understand that.  Lately it's been like that for me, too.  It doesn't help that my list of shows I'm planning to watch seems to grow by like 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 shows every week, and I can't watch them nearly that fast...

Plus video games I need to play, other stuff I want to do that doesn't involve watching something or playing something, etc.

^ Eh.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @ DYRE: Well, I agree with you in that Yui is probably my favorite K-On! character and Madoka is my favorite Madoka character. Though I liked Madoka (the show) a good deal more than you did, and more than K-On!. I just avoid the Madoka thread in the Anime/Manga section, and I'm fine. I thought it was really sad, but not depressing, and certainly not scary. There was some shoddy characterization/character development, but overall it's a 17-19 for me.
  • I'm still waiting for it to be liscensed...>_<

Given how popular it is, I wont be that surprised if it is. Funi better pick it up, I'd like to see a dub.

• Because they make good dubs?
  • Because Funi means a 100% chance of dubs.

And they make good dubs. It'd be kinda cool of Cherami Leigh got a part too...would she fit Madoka or any other characters from this show?

• (observes derail)

I guess Madoka Magica really is the new Neon Genesis Evangelion.

• Speaking of Evangelion, I'm sure I won't like that either so I'm never going to watch it.

And speaking of shows we want licensed, I'm hoping Star Driver will get licensed.  That ended up being my favorite show from last season.  ...or... I guess it was from the season before that, but... whatever.  It was airing during the last season.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    K-On is okay. I watched one episode,and while it didn't left me wanting more I wasn't disgusted with it like it happened with Lucky Star