If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I think a lot of people misuse "Moral Event Horizon", and IJBM

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'd say I cared less about leaving a mark with my own signature on it, and more about leaving a mark in the sense of making the site more like what I'd like to see it be.

I can't exactly maintain a presence there forever even if I wanted to, so it's best if I can help ease the place into a change that other people will continue to support.

Unfortunately, sometimes my ideas aren't popular.
  • edited 2016-02-25 03:02:46
    I guess whatever I contributed to the site, my biggest mark is actually right there in the main page, the "they [tropes] reflect real life" line. There's an unpleasant history behind it, though.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I guess whatever I contributed to the site, my biggest mark is actually right there in the main page, the "they [tropes] reflect real life" line. There's an unpleasant history behind it, though.

What is this unpleasant history?
  • Remember how it at one point said something along the lines of "tropes exist in real life" (I think with a pothole to Life Imitates Art), well at one point Fast Eddie wanted to delete some real-life examples from some trope page (maybe they were causing drama, can't remember), and to this end he was arguing that tropes don't exist in real life and thus there shouldn't be real life examples anywhere in the first place. Something about the way he argued (in that thread and in general), the fact that it hypocritically seemed to contradict much of what the site had been saying and general dissatisfaction irked me, so I brought that line up so as to point out his contradiction, knowing that he'd pull a double-face and change it to something like what it says now.

The fact that real-life examples had almost always been my favourites didn't help. Speaking of which, I always found examples of tropes used in unusual contexts to be the most interesting, such as usually-storytelling-tropes used as gameplay, usually-gameplay-tropes used in storytelling, usually-accidental tropes used on purpose, and as mentioned above, real-life examples. I often wondered if others felt that way.

(Also, I've been rather critical of TVT throughout this thread, so I guess I should clarify for the record: I don't hate it (otherwise I would've changed my handle here and there), we've just grown distant and I no longer feel attached to it, I now see it more or less like I do WIkipedia or whatever.)

• Also, watching progressives linking articles lauding maduro and chavez women's rights record is worth a sardonic laugh.

I just realized my great failure in not posting this earlier: