If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hello there, Windows 8.1.

2»

Comments

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

It's here! One business day (read: weekend) later than it was scheduled to, but go figure. Opening it up as we speak.

First thing on the agenda, figuring out how to make it automatically boot to desktop layout instead of tablet layout.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

My Win8.1 machine automatically booted to desktop.  Are you running Win8 or Win8.1?

Just Win8. It'll auto-update, I think. For now, things seem to be running smoothly; just downloading the first batch of games from my Steam library.

Whoa, you're already that far along?

Also, can you just press the Winkey to go back to the desktop?  Or maybe Winkey + D.

So aside from some Microsoft account shenanigans that I decided not to bother with, things have been going well. My biggest gripe is unrelated to Win8: the power adaptor is incompatible with all of the others in this house.

• edited 2014-08-14 19:36:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Holy shit, Windows 8.1 has a great Task Manager.

I'm not being sarcastic.  @Unknown_Entity can back me up on this.

• Task Manager was one of the few Windows 8 improvements I actually really appreciate.

It's weird to think about, actually, but the previous Task Manager had gone virtually unchanged all the way since Windows 2000!

• edited 2014-08-16 18:33:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So very early on I changed a setting that said to turn off the touchpad while typing.

Unfortunately, I forgot where it was.

And there are some touchpad features that I haven't quite worked out but they're starting to bother me.  For example, it seems there's some way to make the touchpad believe that I've pressed the Ctrl key, causing me to bring up a print dialog when I hit the P key.  While typing.  (This effect is most annoying in Thunderbird, which has a ton of one-key keyboard shortcuts...so I'd be typing the password to my e-mail account when suddenly my keypresses would start registering on the inbox behind the password dialog box, and several of my e-mails are now read (or worse, archived and I can't find them anymore).

Now that I realized I don't want to use this computer for gaming, enabling simultaneous keyboard/touchpad input actually turns out to be less useful than I expected.

But I've forgotten how to turn it back off.  I can't seem to find where that setting is.

In the meantime, I've tried to reduce the touchpad sensitivity -- or rather, increase its sensitivity toward thinking that I have too much contact and thus rejecting the signal at that point.

• Disabling the touchpad while typing was one of the first things I had to enable on my laptop, because the touchpad is large enough and sensitive enough that I kept bumping it with my Wreck-It-Ralph hands while trying to do regular typing.

It's even more annoying on Xubuntu, which somehow seems way more sensitive to the touchpad than Windows for whatever reason.

1. Something keeps resetting my keyboard language hotkey settings.

It's like, I'll set LeftShift + LeftAlt + 1 to change to US International, but then after I restart my computer, it doesn't work anymore.

I can set it back again, and it'll work temporarily, but then it'll break again later.

2. Furthermore, even if I set it back again, it doesn't work in Waterfox.  It'll work in metapad, Skype, Thunderbird, MS Word,...but not Waterfox.  I wonder if a restart of Waterfox will fix this.

Weird, it works now.  It didn't just from a Waterfox restart, but after more dicking around with the language bar settings, it does now.

Also, the problem with Waterfox wasn't unique to Waterfox -- it also happened with just the desktop in focus.