If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Grown Ups 2 beat fucking Pacific Rim

edited 2013-07-13 16:25:55 in General

I think I'm going to rocket-punch Adam Sandler and Chris Rock.

Comments

• I need to see Pacific Rim as soon as I have any actual money.

• edited 2013-07-13 18:15:54

Link, in case anyone wants it:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/13/box-office-grown-ups-2-beats-pacific-rim-on-opening-day/

Seems that both movies are surpassing expectations in terms of box office gross, but Grown Ups 2 is like one of the worst movies recently, according to critics.

I need to see Pacific Rim as soon as I have any actual money.

Yes, yes you do. Pacific Rim is like pure joy.

• but Grown Ups 2 is like one of the worst movies recently, according to critics.

Worse than Lone Ranger?

• Well, The Lone Ranger has 27% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but Grown Ups 2 only has 7%. So uh, yes. (I haven't seen either of those, I'm just reporting what the critics' opinion looks like)

• I've seen the Lone Ranger.
    It's 3 hours long.

• Calm down. So a film about drunk people is beating an actually decent film. So what? It's happened before. Hangover 2 probably beat Kung Fu Panda 2, but KFP2 was clearly the better film. Let people enjoy their mindless trash and you enjoy your decent film.

We all know which one will be remembered in a few years time.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

But I liked Hangover 2. :(

• And that is perfectly fine. It's fine to like whatever damn movie you want.
  • edited 2013-07-13 20:20:10

Let people enjoy their mindless trash and you enjoy your decent film.

That's not what's important. What's important is that Pacific Rim needs to win for the producers to even consider making a sequel. It definitely needs it more than some (somehow) A-list actor's shitty star vehicle's sequel. And if you don't want a goddamn sequel to Pacific Rim I don't know what kind of person you are.

It definitely isn't comparable with Kung Fu Panda 2, which is another installment in a well-established series starring Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, and Jack Black.

But I liked Hangover 2. :(

I did too. I also liked Transformers 2 and 3 (the first was too much to bear), Fast and Furious 3 to 6, and I consider myself a Pirates of the Caribbean fan. I like stupid films too, and would probably see Grown Ups 2 if Pacific Rim weren't released on the same weekend.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    It seems Pacific Rim is doing well enough, I mean, I don't thing they will deny it a sequel just because some shitty movie did better
  • edited 2013-07-13 23:02:32

Worse than Lone Ranger?

Question: Did you come in wanting to see a good, intelligent movie?

From the makers of Pirates of the Caribbean?

I mean, I don't thing they will deny it a sequel just because some shitty movie did better

Why on earth won't they? If it doesn't sell at the box office, they aren't going to make sequels. That's simple logic.

• Question: Did you come in wanting to see a good, intelligent movie?
    From the makers of Pirates of the Caribbean?

Actually, I already knew it was gonna be bad, from reviews and critics about it, my hand was forced on seeing it though. I'm just questioning the response to GU2 For a comparison.

• That's not what's important. What's important is that Pacific Rim needs to win for the producers to even consider making a sequel. It definitely needs it more than some (somehow) A-list actor's shitty star vehicle's sequel. And if you don't want a goddamn sequel to Pacific Rim I don't know what kind of person you are.

I don't want a sequel to Pacific Rim.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie. But that's why it shouldn't get a sequel. It stood perfectly on its own. The plot was wrapped up entirely within the one movie. It didn't even have any sequel hooks in it. To make a sequel would be tarnishing the perfection of this movie.

Who doesn't wish the Matrix was a single movie instead of a trilogy? Who doesn't wish they'd just stopped with the first Pirates of the Caribbean?

I want Pacific Rim to do really well, and I want Del Toro and any other director it's offered to to absolutely refuse to make a sequel for it.

•  Who doesn't wish they'd just stopped with the first Pirates of the Caribbean?

IMO Dead Man's Chest is better than Black Pearl.

• Why on earth won't they? If it doesn't sell at the box office, they aren't going to make sequels. That's simple logic.

As far as I can tell, it it selling, actually. It's just not at the #1 spot.

All three films are exceeding early expectations and look to drive a huge increase at the box office over last year.

(from that link I posted at the top)

• I'm with Black Humor; I don't want to see a Pacific Rim sequel.

What I do want to see is movies with more giant robots and/or giant monsters in them. Movies that don't take visual cues from Transformers. 

• Giant robots/monsters without robots on the side of the good guys, with the focus on the military actually being effective instead of cannon fodder? Fund it.

• Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie. But that's why it shouldn't get a sequel. It stood perfectly on its own. The plot was wrapped up entirely within the one movie. It didn't even have any sequel hooks in it. To make a sequel would be tarnishing the perfection of this movie.

You don't wanna see a prequel with Idris Elba smashing even more kaiju ass? For shame.

• edited 2013-07-14 11:06:50

Insanity: They're not actually military anymore. I mean yeah, they're soldiers, but the governments have effectively cut off the funding and support.

Herma: Pentecost (Lord above that is SUCH a great name) is dead. A sequel featuring him would be a bad sequel.

• edited 2013-07-14 11:14:14

Prequel. Back when he was smashing kaiju ass in a giant Japanese mecha and not slowly dying of radiation poisoning.

@name: The Something Awful reviewers hated it, which gives me enough reason to like it.

(Should we hide spoilers?)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie. But that's why it shouldn't get a sequel. It stood perfectly on its own. The plot was wrapped up entirely within the one movie. It didn't even have any sequel hooks in it. To make a sequel would be tarnishing the perfection of this movie.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim, but I know this feel.

• I haven't seen Pacific Rim

you

out now

• edited 2013-07-14 10:32:37
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I would prefer spoilers to be hidden, since the movie still hasn't come out in my country and I'd like to watch it.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim

you

out now

no

Okay I can't seem to edit my previous post because apparently I totally broke the HTML so I'm just going to double-post.

Anyhow, this Pacific Rim movie.  Is it just me or is there like, a lot of geeky types interested in it?

• Well, it could be the giant robots and kaijus, the obvious anime influences or the fact that it has Del Toro behind it... but it's probably because of Idris Elba, geeks love Idris Elba.

• You probably have fans of the Thor movie, fans of The Wire, the giant robot fans, the fans of It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia, fans of Ron Perlman, fans of Godzilla...

It's a great big intersection of multiple fandoms.

• As far as I can tell, it it selling, actually. It's just not at the #1 spot.

It...is?

• edited 2013-07-14 12:14:57

Yes, read the link I posted near the top of this page. Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim and Despicable Me 2 have surpassed expectations at the box office.

You probably have fans of the Thor movie, fans of The Wire, the giant robot fans, the fans of It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia, fans of Ron Perlman, fans of Godzilla...

It's a great big intersection of multiple fandoms.

Also, fans of Ultraman, or at least me. Seriously, an elite, not-quite-military force with high-tech machines fighting kaiju, straightforward heroics, this movie pretty much has everything you need for an Ultraman story except for an Ultraman.

• I thought the Something Awful reviewers liked Pacific Rim, they just thought it was flabby on the storytelling and character side except for a few characters.