If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How do you one-letter abbreviate saturday and sunday?

edited 2013-07-12 15:40:41 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I personally decided, some years ago, to use "A" and "U".  Since both are "S", we'll use "S" for neither.  The first and most distinctive letter difference between the two is A and U.  Furthermore, this distinguishes them from the weekdays by using vowels for the weekends.

So I have MTWRFAU.  Unfortunately, the T/R thing was already done for me, but then again, "tuesday" doesn't have any unique consonants, though I guess I could use E for that and then H or R for thursday.

Comments

• Is single-letter abbreviation for each day of the week something people actually do?

• edited 2013-07-12 19:10:34
    From what I've seen, both Saturday and Sunday are S. You can tell them apart before Saturday is the first S and comes after Friday, and Sunday is the second S and comes before Monday.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

In Spain we have Tuesdays and Wednesdays that start with the same letter (Martes y Miércoles). We use an X for Wednesdays

• edited 2013-07-12 20:58:26

Why would you need to?

Also, do it the Chinese way; Monday is "Star-Phase One", Tuesday is "Second Day of the Week", etcetera.

(both "Star-Phase" and "Day of the Week" are translations of the same term, just that the former is much more literal)

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Yeah, I don't really see the point either, since it's easy enough to mentally fill in the names for MTWTFSS or SMTWTFS just using context.

• ^^ Arabic has something similar. Sunday is more or less "one", Monday "two", Tuesday "three" and so on, except Friday.

• In Spain we have Tuesdays and Wednesdays that start with the same letter (Martes y Miércoles). We use an X for Wednesdays

*shrug* We just use two Ms.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I kinda like how the Chinese way of doing it basically means starting the week on zero.  Sunday is day 0, monday is day 1, and saturday is day 6.

• edited 2013-07-13 05:08:25
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Chinese calendars tend to start on Sundays, do they? Does Sunday have as much religious significance in Buddhism, Taoism and/or Confucianism as it does in Abrahamic creation mythology?

• edited 2013-07-13 05:17:30

You kiddin' me? Sunday and the seven-day-week is purely a Western (and by extension, Christian, and by extension-extension, Roman) invention. 

The Chinese calender uses ten-, twelve-, and sixty-day-weeks. No, don't ask me how it works.

• Whenever I see the days of the week being abbreviated it's like this "M-T-W-Th-F-Sa-Su"