If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Everyone on That Guy With The Glasses, their fans and the way TVTropes slobbers on it

edited 2011-03-31 15:08:21 in Media
*except LordKat, he got tired of all the behind the scenes bullshit and packed up and left, posting all sorts of dirt on what assjacks they were on the way out, so he's cool in my book. Basically, I hate the entire site and everything on it. Everyone on that entire site is some kind of greasy manchild or another who yells and screams because that's what their mistress Doug Walker does, and not a single one of them has a shred of originality. All of their humour is either failed attempts at being "edgy" via bashing, ridiculous and annoying hyperbole (best exemplified by the time TheAmazingAtheist declared Jersey Girl to "be worse than when my father dying of cancer"), and yelling "catchphrases" that don't even count as jokes - Yelling "Zool, motherfucker!" a bunch isn't a joke, you just put two words together. And the worst part is that never before have I seen something kowtow to fans so much, and I mean that in the bad way. You think Nostalgia Critic gave a shit about Mako before his fans told him he should care? Here's the thing, that joke that all the fans thew a bitch fit about? (If you didn't know, Mako died of throat cancer, and NC commented that he sounds like he smoked 50 cigarettes)... That's actually kinda funny, in a dark comedy way, even if he made the joke accidentally. Fans suddenly got super pissed and sent him mass hatemail, and the next episode, instead of saying "Fuck you, it was funny", he gets down on his knees and apologizes profusely, and now a fucking HALO of golden light with organ music appears when Mako shows up in something, because he loves Mako just that much. Come the fuck on. I'm not even gonna say anything about Spoony because I could write fucking essays on what a pretentious greasy manchild cockbag he is. Now, onto their fans: Oh, I don't doubt that there's people who just watch a video, and go on their way. This isn't about you, it's about the people who if Doug Walker asked them to suck his cock, they'd ask how many inches. The people who use their catchphrases in real life, the people who somehow figure that watching their reviews is the same as watching the media in question, letting them be qualified to talk about it and critique it, particularly when the "reviewer" makes shit up and takes things out of context (I call it "The Let's Play Effect", personally), and who can sit there and listen to GreasySpoony's daily four hour vlogs about shit nobody honestly cares about. I know someone like this: The amount I hear "You know, Spoony/Yahtzee/etc. had a really good point when *recites point verbatim about something I haven't played/watched". And finally, to the outro: The way TVTropes finds a way to cram TGWTG shit into every god damn page imaginable, no matter how little it fits or how much it's actually about the review and not the media in question. The same goes for Trope names as well; At this point, they TRY to come up with catchphrases for Trope titles. And all that is ignoring the fact just how FUCKING GIANT the actual pages to their crew is. Here, lemme throw some nearly a year old numbers at you: That Guy With The Glasses Main Article + sub articles: 101,359 words Atop The Forth Wall on it's own: 42,839 words All TGWTG articles + only front pages of DBZ Abridged and Spoony: 303,649 words Length of: J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye - 73,404 words Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 - 46,118 words Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five - 49,459 words Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities - 135,420 words John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath - 169,481 words Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huck Finn - 109,571 words This is what it looks like when culture dies. (Please stop commenting on this line, I realize it's ignorant and juvenile, as I've said I literally copied this verbatim from a year old "preaching to the choir" post with only half-realizing it was even there) Oh, and by the way, the word count for the article on Taxi Driver, widely considered to be one of the greatest films of all time? 745 words. So, ladies and gentleman, in closing, I offer you the following: i mad

Comments

• edited 2011-03-31 14:09:18
    cool story bro

Although I do agree about Mako.
  • «This is what it looks like when culture dies.»

I've been told to expect the decline of civilization for two thousand years and it still hasn't happened.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    "glennmagusharvey changed TravisBickle's permissions.

TravisBickle was removed from the Member role and added to the Banned role."

What I hope to see on TB's profile soon.
  • edited 2011-03-31 14:30:11
    And, uh... Why exactly do you hope that, if I may ask?
  • Because you're kind of an Internet Tough Guy?
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    Because I don't go on the internet for people to personally attack me for liking the stuff I like.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    This is what it looks like when culture dies.

Should I provide a reminder as to what is the main audience of TvTropes?
  • When did that happen? Because I wrote a rant about a site I think is awful? I'm pretty were I an internet tough guy I'd be talking about how I could "beat the shit out of them" or whatever. And considering the fact that this is more or less the second post I've made in all of IJBM existing as a spin-off site, including when it was on VanillaForums, how do you know anything about me, who I am, or what my personality is? Am I not allowed to vent about something, is that not the whole point of this message board? Not to mention that the thing that's motivating it is actually deeply personal, but I don't like to talk about such things with complete strangers, so I channeled it via that rant as a way of venting.
  • No, you've pretty much always been like this.

Remember when you tried to re-start IJBM on the forums?
  • edited 2011-03-31 14:43:16
    GuyInWhite said:
    Because I don't go on the internet for people to personally attack me for liking the stuff I like.

"I love this show, time to go into a thread that's clearly about disliking it and complain about how I dislike people who don't like the same thing I like".

Seriously though, why would you enter a topic that's quite clearly about the flaws in something you like, just to complain about how you're angry that someone doesn't like it? You have just as much right to like the show and it's fanbase as I do to dislike the show and it's fanbase.
  • edited 2011-03-31 14:44:36
    Myrmidon said:
    No, you've pretty much always been like this.

Remember when you tried to re-start IJBM on the forums?

No. I do remember the fact that made an honest thread titled "IBJM: The phrase "Name a war religion started", had an actual message body, and then I joking said "Yeah, IJBM, I'm bringing it back. Deal with It. Nah, seriously though, see topic title.", and all that was taken as an attempt to reshape the Yack Fest to be like that, when that was not my intention at all. After things were explained and such, and someone vouched for me on my behalf (Mucho thanks to Khwarizmi for that), I got my account back and I've been on TVTropes posting all this time without incident.
  • "Seriously though, why would you enter a topic that's quite clearly about the flaws in something you like, just to complain about how you're angry that someone doesn't like it? You have just as much right to like the show and it's fanbase as I do to dislike the show and it's fanbase."

That doesn't make your words immune to criticism.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    -blip ad-

HELLO I'M THAT CHARACTER WITH THE CLOTHING DEVICE.

CATCHPHRASE

TODAY I'LL BE WATCHING "BELOVED CHILDHOOD MOVIE 4". I REALLY LOVED THE ORIGINAL BELOVED CHILDHOOD MOVIE SO I HOPE THEY DON'T FUCK THIS UP

WHAT THE FUCK THEY CHANGED THE MAIN CHARACTER THIS MOVIE CAN SUCK MY SHIT STAINED ASSHOLE.

-RECAP OF THE MOVIE WHILE SAYING CATCHPRASES AND FORCING MEMES-

SO THIS MAKES IT THIS MOVIE SUCKS SO MUCH I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF BYE

• Abyss_Worm:
    That doesn't make your words immune to criticism.

Of course it doesn't. Frankly, it'd make me a massive hypocrite if I thought otherwise. However, "I hope you get banned" isn't exactly "criticism".
  • edited 2011-03-31 14:59:02
    Silence is golden.

«This is what it looks like when culture dies.»

No, no no you don't do that. This is a terrible and stupid thought-killing cliche and you should be ashamed of using it.

also, [Insert faux-snarky and inane paragraph pointing out that there probably wouldn't
    be ban threats, ITG-accusations and other assorted hissy fits if the
    opening post was about something the Troper hivemind doesn't give a shit about.]

• Because I don't go on the internet for people to personally attack me for liking the stuff I like.

Weren't you the guy who flipped his shit at people voting Republican?
  • edited 2011-03-31 15:03:25
    No, no no you don't do that. This is a terrible and stupid thought-killing cliche and you should be ashamed of using it.

Fair enough. As I've said, it's literally a year old, and that includes that line. I copypasted it from a place where I was preaching to the choir, so to speak. I'd erase it but at this point so many people have commented on it it'd look weird.
    But yeah, culture doesn't die, it changes, and I'm aware that things like IQ and etc are actually continuously rising, and besides, it's not like someone's taste in media for relaxation means anything more than that's what they like to watch to unwind: I'll openly admit to watching (and loving) Jersey Shore, and watching that show is considered admitting that you're a drooling moron or somesuch to some people.
  • I've read The Phenomenology Of The Spirit. Have you read it? No? Then shut up about culture dying.
  • Calm down. This topic is teetering into flame war. Attack the opinion, not the person. GuyInWhite, that first comment crossed the line.

(I was brought to the attention of this topic because somebody flagged GIW's post. Everybody: please use the flags or message the mods if you find other objectionable posts. Thanks.)
  • edited 2011-03-31 15:19:50
    Myrmidon:
    I've read The Phenomenology Of The Spirit. Have you read it?

Nope, can't say I have. Do you want a pissing contest over who's read what texts or experienced ___ facet of culture? "I read Hegel" "Oh yeah? Well I read all of Nietzsche!" "Oh yeah? Well I've listened to all of Tchaikovsky's compositions!" "Oh yeah? Well I've listened to every track that Vangelis created for Blade Runner! (remember that pop culture is still culture, which knowing this basic fact makes my entire statement of "the death of culture" utterly meaningless).

Not only would it be completely pointless, it'd be for an argument that I don't care about, and I wish people'd stop bringing up that line because I recognize how ignorant it is, and I've posted several times to that fact, yet people keep referencing it.
  • That's because it's annoying and alarmist.
  • Myrmidon:
    That's because it's annoying and alarmist.

Well, duh. I've only been saying that as a response every time someone mentioned it. I've even put a disclaimer next to it in the OP.
  • edited 2011-03-31 16:08:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Incorrect usage of IJBM: "They're bashing something I like, so I'm going to bash them!"

More correct usage of IJBM: "They're bashing something I like, so I'm going to bash the bashing of something I like!"

@GuyInWhite: Exactly what is objectionable about the opening post of this thread?
  • I guess it implicitly insults fans of That X with Y.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Implicitly?
  • edited 2011-03-31 16:24:48
    Snowbull says:
    I guess it implicitly insults fans of That X with Y.

Actually, it's about the hardcore devoted legions of fanboys, not just "fans", which is why there's a disclaimer to that effect in the OP. For a good example, think of people who are just fans of Fallout, compared to "the glittering gems of hatred" that make up No Mutants Allowed, an infamous Fallout fansite.

And I was pretty explicit I thought <.<
  • edited 2011-03-31 16:29:42
    Cue-bey
    glurp

previous response nullified.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I actually agree with everything TB had to say in his OP. I'm sick of TGWTG being the epitome of nerd culture as far as TV Tropes is concerned.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    ^ Well, what are you gonna do about it?