If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-10 18:59:52

Reading that, all I can see is about four pages of

Also probably some spectacularly bad teachers that don't know how to relate anything they teach to concrete use.  But mostly

Also lol antinatalists.  Why do you torture yourself with that dross?

• As a math geek I can see where he is coming from but the rant comes across as someone who had bad experiences in regards to math teachers in college. 

• a little muffled
    lol
  • The thing is as a tutor this is the sort of person I'm supposed to sympathize with and help to crystallize their concept of it into something concrete and useful.

But god he's such a douche about it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

To be fair, math is usually taught terribly. Not in a technical sense, but in an an abstract sense; students are told to solve problems rather than to solve concepts, and aren't encouraged to apply math creatively or to disciplines they find interesting. A lot of people go through their whole lives thinking math is about finding X, when it's more about knowing why your solution for X is logical.

• I like mathbut I'm not very good at it.

• edited 2013-05-11 10:10:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I like maths but I'm not very good at it

> maths

> it

Clearly.

• I think that's more of a grammar issue.

• edited 2013-05-11 13:09:34
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I hate math, so much.

You may be completely right Alex, but I've been taught it one way for so long, that I can't see Algebra as anything but useless to me. A boring wasteful chore that I only participate in to get a grade.

• a little muffled

Algebra, the basics of it, are highly useful in real life and you probably use it all the time without actively thinking about the fact that that's what you're doing.

Moving past that, much of math is not likely to be useful to you specifically, no. (You wanted to be a screenwriter or director, right?) On the other hand, it's quite useful to other people. This is no different than literally every other skill that exists.

• As a writer, I actually find maths to be incredibly useful. 

• edited 2013-05-11 22:31:13

^ I don't see how.

^ Of course it is useful to other people. But it shouldn't be a requirement for me to know all that matrixes stuff. But we've have this discussion here before.

• a little muffled
    And every single thing you learned in every other class in school was useful to your particular career path?
  • I think more people get use out of knowing the quadratic formula than get use out of knowing about how Transcendentalism affected the author of the Scarlet Letter.

Even if you restrict to the artistic endeavors.

What I'm saying is not that English or History classes are useless(they're not), just that the transcendentalists are stupid.

• edited 2013-05-12 21:19:28

Did I say every single thing I learned in very other class in school was useful to my particular career path, Nyktos? No. We aren't talking about other subjects. We are talking about math. Hell, at least English and History interest me to some degree.

I thought the point of school was to teach us value skills that will aid us in our lifetime, even to a small degree? Can you honestly tell me that I will use the random facts I learned in Algebra 2 in my life?

• a little muffled
    Except people make this complaint far more often about math than anything else, despite it applying equally well to most subjects.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-12 21:34:37

Math up to at least Algebra II is necessary in projecting basic finances.  For everyone.

Bank interest is all exponentials.  You can't look at them in any useful sense without knowing logarithms.

• edited 2013-05-12 23:10:52
    Algebra is pretty useful, all things considered.

And I actually like Pythogoras Theorum because I understood it the quickest and it's sort of easy to understand.

And besides, who's to say something you haven't used yet won't be useful later down the road?

As to the article itself, I'll say that people study religion study ethics and morality to improve themselves, and when they're not they're trying to understand how people think and act. Which is far from not having applications in the "real world".
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I'll believe it when it happens.

• No you won't, you'll end up thousands of dollars in debt and blaming anyone but yourself.

• To be fair, that's a distinctly possible fate for young adults entering the labor force at the moment regardless of math proficiency.  But of all the things that can go wrong, knowing enough math to see a bad loan coming is one of the more surmountable ones.