If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The 21st Century Fox logo's reaction

edited 2013-05-09 20:50:29 in Webspace

Not 20th Century Fox, 21st Century Fox.

Ever since the Gap fiasco it seems that any and all new, high-profile logos are Fucking Terrible

Like, really, people:

The reasons that this is supposed to be Fucking Terrible? Because it's too "simple" or too "retro". Simplicity is a good thing when it comes to logos, morons.

I can name at least four logos off the top of my head that have been around for a long time and are, to me, Fucking Terrible (the Fox network logo, the Taco Bell logo, the Burger King logo and the Pizza Hut logo)...

Comments

• edited 2013-05-09 20:58:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There's apparently a trend toward simplicity or something.  Also, informality and an artistic flair style.

I prefer the old Pizza Hut logo to the new one.

• Simplicity is a trend because it's a backlash against clutter. Clutter lives on, though...I don't think clutter really started becoming prolific until computer-generated design got more advanced.

• edited 2013-05-09 20:59:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if this is indicative of a larger change in society that's a resurgence of anti-establishmentism, albeit in a very organized, corporatized sense.  The old logos are generally more formal, and seem to try to suggest respect for an institution, be it a notable restaurant chain or a movie studio.  The new ones are more frequently about style, simplicity, and trendiness.

• I think simplicity in logo design only really showed up and became canonized in the 1960s. Paul Rand and Saul Bass produced a lot of well-remembered simple logos during that time, many of which are still in use now or, at least, enjoyed long lives.

• "Pac-man if he was pinhead"

• I think the simplicity comeback and trend towards flat colors and simple shapes is also related to looking good on small-screen-size phones where you don't have much control over the resolution, so you make something with simple vectors.

As for the 21st Century Fox logo itself, I'm not sure how I feel about the font but I like the stylized searchlights.

• Sometimes I wonder if simplicity vs. complexity in design is a cyclical thing.

Like, in the early 2000s we saw a lot of unnecessary gradients and gloss and stuff, and over the past 4 or 5 years we've seen a lot of logos becoming more simplified and stripped-down to the basics. In another 5 years, will we see people going "I'm sick of this simple stuff, let's do something that stands out" and then end up reversing the trend?

I think the simplicity comeback and trend towards flat colors and simple shapes is also related to looking good on small-screen-size phones where you don't have much control over the resolution, so you make something with simple vectors.

Whoa, I hadn't thought of that before. Makes sense, though.

Also, count me as another who likes the 21CF searchlights.

• The reasons that this is supposed to be Fucking Terrible? Because it's too "simple" or too "retro". Simplicity is a good thing when it comes to logos, morons.

Uh , simple = teribble, yet simplicity=good thing? Am I reading this right?

• He's saying that other people think it's terrible because it's "too simple", when really simplicity is a good thing.

• Similar to what Ponicalica said, the stylized searchlights I can deal with, but something about the text font (combined with the fact that it's all-white on a black background) just makes it look bland and generic to the point of being ugly to me.