If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Do people not listen to the radio anymore?

edited 2013-04-16 00:38:48 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I was talking to two current university juniors (i.e. expecting bachelor's degree in 2014) and from what I could tell they seemed genuinely confused at what National Public Radio (NPR) was, when I mentioned it in conversation.

They recognized PBS, though, as the channel that shows Sesame Street and Big Bird.

Do people really not listen to the radio anymore?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I know what NPR is, but I haven't listened to the radio in...

Um.

I'm not sure I've ever listened to the radio.

• You can change. You can.

The main reason people listen to radio is something that you no longer need now that you can simply get a song into an MP3 player and play it while driving

• edited 2013-04-16 01:00:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...but I usually listen to the news on the radio.  And commentary about news issues.

And when I want music that I don't pick out.  Or ambience.  But then again for that I usually use internet radio.

• That's what TV is for.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...people watch TV?

I thought people get most of their entertainment from the computer, via the internet.

• Radios are mainly for people who spend a lot of time in the car these days.

I spend about half an hour in my car each day and I get my news and commentary on the radio during that time.

If I want more I turn on the radio at home, or tune in via NPR's streaming services.

I would like to watch the PBS News Hour (since that's the only non-shitty news program around these days that's not filled with isolated soundbites and human interest stories), but I almost never get around to it.

Otherwise, I pretty much have no use for a TV.

• You can change. You can.

...but I usually listen to the news on the radio. And commentary about news issues.

Yes, but you're just a person. 

...people watch TV?

Mostly for news broadcasts these days, funnily enough. 

• I guess radios are good for something.

Sometimes I'll check up the top charts, but not usually.
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Podcasts.

It was a few days ago that I heard on NPR a report about social media possibly obsoleting e-mail, and texting.

The tech commentator there mentioned several services, at least some of which I think are messaging services.  Possibly smartphone apps or something.

One of them was mentioned by one of those two aforementioned university juniors, and they started chatting about that service.

I felt old and mentioned that I had only first heard of it on NPR.

And it turned out they hadn't heard of NPR.

• edited 2013-04-16 08:40:26

I listen to the radio a moderate amount because I have not had a properly functioning MP3 device or iTunes library for years, and if I want to listen to something in a deliberate, committed way on Spotify, that requires earbuds and is generally more limiting. 

Radio is my background thing, usually either WAAF or WBOS. [R.I.P. WFNX :( ] Sometimes I actually do discover new music with it (and then hear it again and again, mind you...) and I am devoted to the Sunday night shows on WZBC (Boston College) because they're good, and I will actually listen to WBUR, the main local NPR station.

This is all pretty relevant because yesterday after the bombings I was pretty much glued to NPR while I also cycled through news sites and social media.

I don't have a car. No one in my suite has a TV, I have never had a TV while in college in any way.

• I listen to radio, but then I work in radio so I kind of have to. 

• edited 2013-04-17 16:26:21
    Has friends besides tanks now

I have a radio in my car and I've only ended up using it for the auxiliary audio jack so I can listen to my iPod while I drive.

• Radios are good for when you are doing other things because they don't require your eyesight. Also, around here, radio journalism is usually better than TV journalism, even if anchormen switch around radios more often than I'm comfortable with.

• You people who are younger than me but have cars with auxiliary audio jacks suck

Just sayin'

If I want to do that I need to find one of those tape adapters that people stopped using 15 years ago