If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Aku No Hana and rotoscoping

edited 2013-04-08 22:19:25 in Wonderful posts

Faulkner wanted multicoloured inks for Benji's section of The Sound And The Fury and only now is the book IS getting a release with that. 

So I don't really know what your issue is here.

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

IN THA CHRISTIAN NIGHT CLUBZ TWERKIN' FO THA SAVIOR #doinitforthetrill

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ What.

^ wat

Real Talk Time: I . . . guess I could see myself coming to terms with the rotoscoping and weird animation. should be an interesting anime in any case.

• edited 2013-04-08 23:53:17

• edited 2013-04-10 21:49:02
    Has friends besides tanks now

Stumbled onto FightingForNippon's impression of the first episode after watching the first episode of Attack on Titan (which was really good). I don't much appreciate his commentary, or his nope-ing over the ED, but the animation is really, really bad. Literally unwatchable.

• It seems you don't "get" art.

Watch Fritz the Cat and get back to me. 

• edited 2013-04-10 21:55:55

The animation really isn't that bad.

The parts that people make fun of are but for the most part it was more or less acceptable.  It's not as good as a first episode really ought to be and there are a few bits where the animation is more distracting than anything and recycled animation lol but I was surprised by how much I didn't dislike the animation overall, other than some stuff that all other anime does anyway (non-moving background characters, etc.).

That said, it probably should have just been done as live-action, and it probably would have got a lot less flak from manga fans too.

Also the ED is amazing so that guy obviously just has terrible taste.

^^ Or you could tell me what your point is. (I think I get what you're saying, considering you had no problem being straightforward in the SA thread, but I dunno how Fritz the Cat fits into it)

^ Mostly it's just that it's so choppy. I don't mind rotoscoping and the character designs, and I certainly don't mind that they're trying to do something new with anime and break away from moeblobs and stuff, but it's just kind of poorly-done, and I don't think the show would be any less creepy with fluid animation.

• I have no point, I'm just shitposting.

Ah. Carry on, then.
  • Well it's choppy because TV anime has no money unless it's a something guaranteed to sell zillions of BDs.

I mean, it doesn't look great, but I definitely don't think it's unwatchable and it's clear that entirely too many of the complaints about it stem from people being mad that Nakamura isn't attractive.

• edited 2013-04-10 23:22:39
    law of silence

I watched the first episode because of the massive shitstorm surrounding the art style, and read the manga immediately after. It's probably because of the art style and pacing, but the anime seems...really different? Despite it basically telling the same story. That being said, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the show (at least not this season, anyway) if it had been done in a style similar to the manga.

The animation is really weird/lazy-looking at points, but I don't think it's unwatchable. I like what they're trying to do, I just wish it could have been done better. Also, it bugs me that the characters look a lot older than they're supposed to be. But I'm still really looking forward to watching the rest of it. And yes, the ED is brilliant.

• You can change. You can.
    All nines: fritz the cat also used rotoscoping. Besides that, yeah shitposting.

^ Huh. I actually don't mind that case of it.

• edited 2013-04-11 01:14:42
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Probably because it used more frames. The animation is really choppy and made me nauseous when I tried to watch it. So physically speaking, its a limitation for me.

Attack on Titan was extremely good though.

also speedwagon shitposts cooly

• u guys need to learn how 2 shitpost

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

so would you guys say you like this anime or roguelike it.

^ Huh. I actually don't mind that case of it.

Well, American animation gets more money, so uh yeah.

• Is rotoscoping still even a thing nowadays?

• Yes.

Aku no Hana does it.   fufufufu

But yeah I don't think it's particularly common these days.  Still, it's not like you can't use animation techniques just because they aren't common.

Most recent example I can think of is A Scanner Darkly back in '06.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

I think a Waltz with Bashir also used rotoscoping

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ Yep. Waking Life also used rotoscope throughout. Additionally, motion capture animation operates on very similar principles and has become quite common in recent years, albeit more often as a garnish than the main dish.

The reason why rotoscope isn't a more common method is fairly simple: It is inherently a little surreal and often unsettling. In the case of Aku no Hana, I think that was the very reason why they chose to use it.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Why is that dog vibrating?

• In the case of Aku no Hana, I think that was the very reason why they chose to use it.

Supposedly (based on miscellaneous stuff I've heard), the author wanted a live-action adaptation and wasn't interested in a ordinary anime adaptation, and this way was the closest that ZEXCS could get to a live-action adaptation.  Or something like that.

• The point is, you're talking about it. Attention drums up interest, interest drums up sales. It's quite genius if you think about it.

• edited 2013-04-13 13:35:08

Uh... are you talking about Aku no Hana?  Because it's definitely not going to sell, whereas it probably would have if it were a typical adaptation since the manga is pretty popular.

what is this show actually about

kinky