If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Singular videogames that have subtitles (i.e. stuff after the colon)

edited 2013-04-06 13:29:31 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Brainpipe: a Plunge to Inhumanity

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

DataJammers: FastForward

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

What exactly is the proper way to refer to these games?  For example, is it "Steel Storm" or "Steel Storm Burning Retribution", in spoken conversation?

Are there any games or versions (even conceptions) of these games that existed without the subtitles?

Edit: Apparently those three actually have meaningful subtitles relating them to past games.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Tides of Numenera is the second Torment game.
  • edited 2013-04-05 20:14:49

It's conventional to refer to things without their subtitle when speaking informally or in a context where you've already identified the full title of what you're talking about.  In fact that's kind of the point of having a subtitle: it lets you tell which part of the title is supposed to be the "important" bit and which is just further elaboration (possibly because it's evocative, or possibly because it indicates that it's not the only entry in the series, or for whatever other reason).

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

fun fact: you're allowed to punch someone legally, if they refer to the first Halo as "Halo: Combat Evolved".

• edited 2013-04-05 21:38:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ Is it?  I thought it was just a spiritual sequel to Planescape Torment.  (Or is that "Planescape: Torment"?)

• edited 2013-04-05 21:41:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^It is a spiritual successor. (and it's Planescape: Torment)

It's not an official IP or anything AFAIK, but it's quite necessary to both demonstrate the link between the games and give the game its own title, so Torment: Tides of Numenera works pretty well I think.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space is the sequel to Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. Infinite Space is a key part of the title here. Steel Storm: Burning Retribution is episode 2 of the Steel Storm series.

• Enslaved: Odyssey to the West gets a pass because it's a sci-fi re-imagining of Journey to the West. 

• It didn't really need the "Enslaved" part.

• They're somethin' else.

Street Fighter III: Second Impact: Giant Attack

Street Fighter III: Third Strike: Fight for the Future

• Spider-Man 2: Enter: Electro.

• Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

I actually named a real video game though.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I too.

• But you never had any to begin with.

^^ That is, as lrdgck says, a real game.

whut

• edited 2013-04-07 07:26:39
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Okay, please tell me that TMRoTnnÓ:EfN7-RoC:TOGotM-C2otHBSG is a non-serious game...

(Yeah, I copypasted that and cut it down to initials.)

It appears to be the sequel to Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden.

• edited 2013-04-07 07:35:37
    But you never had any to begin with.

It's the sequel to Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. Draw your own conclusions.

Bah. Glenninjas.

The colloquial title is Barkley 2: Curse of Cuchulainn. :)

• Kichigai birthday!!

TMRA:VSI

• a little muffled

Note that Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden's full title is Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa.