If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• edited 2018-03-28 23:44:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    so

trying to change Windows 8.1 fonts

most guides on the internet recommend going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

and messing with the six font keys there

i've found that here's what the font keys refer to:

CaptionFont - window titlebars
    IconFont - file and folder names in the file explorer view
    MenuFont - menus and dialog box options (e.g. OK/Cancel)
    MessageFont - shows up in some programs, such as Waterfox tab and address bar, and LibreOffice status bar
    SmCaptionFont - (I don't know)
    StatusFont - status bar in the registry editor, and presumably other similar places

everything else (including status bars of file explorer windows, start menu, clock, many programs) continues to use Segoe UI anyway

anyhow I also found this video
    it apparently succeeds at changing out everything

i downloaded the .reg files it points to; one of them reverts to default and here's what the other one does:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
    "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Segoe UI"="ENTER-NEW-FONT-NAME"

curiously this is located in two other registry keys (or categories?). not exactly sure how this works: the Fonts folder in the registry seems to just be a list of all fonts ever,
    including all the custom fonts i installed, so it's obviously not a default system list.

so maybe the first part of this script means "forgetting" all the Segoe UI fonts? I'd rather not do that (especially if it means uninstalling them). meanwhile there's nothing in the FontSubstitutes that contains the string "Segoe UI" so i'm not sure how that affects anything...

also if you ever want to use Impact, note that it's font name is "Impact", not "Impact Regular". if you input an improper font name, the system defaults to some sans-serif font. presumably Arial?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, the next level above shitposting from a logged-in Facebook account is changing the Windows fonts to Comic Sans?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    okay, Waterfox Portable just got weird.

so it did its stealth update thing again. basically, it told me a new version was out, a couple days ago. i said, i'll update it later.

then, just now, upon starting it, it took some time to do something, then displayed a new version page on startup. indicating that it's updated.

well, i look at my program folder, as well as other folders and my start menu and my desktop and my programs list. at least it doesn't show up there. but just to be safe, lemme go do a reinstall using waterfox portable.

*installs*

HOLY SHIT THE WATERFOX PORTABLE FOLDER FILLED WITH A SHITTON MORE FOLDERS AND FILES

WHAT EVEN IS THIS

*tempted to take the profile folder and throw it into a new install of a different firefox-based browser*

*find out about cyberfox*
    hmm
    i'll try this later
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Android Clipboard: available at a single click, stores literally everything you have ever cut/copied until told otherwise.

Windows 10 Clipboard: [nope]
    how exactly did it nope?
  • edited 2018-05-20 04:53:04
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I mean it only saves the very last thing you cut/copy until your next cut/copy, and there's no out of box way to access the rest of your clipboard even though it definitely exists somewhere.
    Anonymous statistical information is collected by HP to enhance app functionality and performance. 

My computers inbuilt speakers are spying on me.
    Anonymous statistical information is collected by HP to enhance app functionality and performance. 

My computers inbuilt speakers are spying on me.

How do they collect, how do they store, and how do they transmit (if they do) this information? This could mean basically anything.
    .  Examples of the types of data collected by HP include: 
    • Whether you interacted with the check boxes.
    • Information about your computer system, such as model number, version, country, language. 
    • Date and time user launches the application.
    • HP device type and version number, but not the serial number.
    Screens visited and the length of time spent on each screen.
    • Whether you clicked on any buttons within the application.

These are just "examples", though. They're definitely doing other stuff. Also why do my speakers need to know what "screens" I'm on?
    HP anonymises data wherever possible and will not use this data to track, profile or market to you without your consent. 

a) wherever possible
    b) I have no idea whether turning this computer on and using the speakers on at all qualifies as my "consent"
    The BBC will 'preview' videos now, which means it'll play like three seconds of it as you scroll down. Usually this is just a wide shot of a person speaking into the camera. It really makes me wonder how that's supposed to entice me into watching the rest of it (and is also just odd in general).
  • edited 2018-06-06 16:22:59
    My computer often restarts when I go into full-windows mode. I'm trying to update AMD's drivers, but this leads me to my second annoyance: software that downloads things but doesn't tell you how large what you're downloading is, how fast it's being downloaded, etc.
    software that downloads things but doesn't tell you how large what you're downloading is

You have to remember that we all live in Silicon Valley where the internet is hyperfast and so free that your provider actually shows up to pay you money whenever you use it.

Reminds me of those in-box "physical release" games/software that are literally just a carton with a download code that don't even give you an estimate of how large the inevitable download will be.
    >everytime I go on a website that is screaming "RAH RAH FIGHT THE POWER" in a million 5000 word essays but they still have facebook/twitter/etc. share links
    For some reason the new Firefox update decided what most needed updating was where certain buttons were located.
  • edited 2018-07-04 23:52:16
    Windows Homegroup is kill, it was nice while it lasted.

Anyhows, I reformatted, and now have a 64-bit OS and can enjoy 3D goodies.

Though I'm worried about the fact that my fan is constantly on.

Edit: Also my internets decided to slow down to a crawl, so it's taking very long to download all the stuff I have to download.
  • Also sound's not working.

Well, fuck everything. I regret reformatting. Having an updated OS is not worth it if I can't download the things I need to work on it.
    What OS do you have now?
  • Windows 10. Same as before except 64-bits.
  • edited 2018-07-06 05:08:44
    It seems this is going to be one of these things where I post constant updates.

Anyhows, I found out the reason the internet is slowed down to a crawl (but not the reason it goes away) is because of Windows' updater, which I'm pretty sure is something I complained about in this thread. I think it's specifically when searching for updates, not when downloading them. I suppose that's good to know, but it's not something I can control easily.

Also:
    software that downloads things but doesn't tell you how large what you're downloading is, how fast it's being downloaded, etc.

Annoyingly, Windows only shows one completion bar for all current updates.
  • software that downloads things but doesn't tell you how large what you're downloading is, how fast it's being downloaded, etc.

Protip: Check the folder the software is downloading things to, if it's something "simple" (e.g. a single file), you can Google or ask somebody else with the software to tell you how large it is, and if it's saving incrementally you can just check the file/folder size to know how far ahead you're in.

Anyhows, the sound problem seems to have fixed itself. I thought it'd be an update problem, but unless something updated in secret or somehow the GPU drivers had to do with it, that wasn't it. I got my backed up files back and a friend taught me how to block Windows' updates, I intend to update but there's no telling when I'll be able to keep the computer on and online for long enough to finish updating and I need to download installer-only files first.

I now know that the overly-fast one was the graphics card's, and installing the drivers fixed it. I thought it was because the motherboard's temperature was high (50-60°C when idle), but this in turn means I should probably clean it up and replace the thermal paste if I can find some. For some reason when under load it's just over 70°C which ain't too bad.

Anyhows, it should be smooth sailing from now on.
    1. go here

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/09/discord-is-launching-a-game-store/

2. scroll down

3. watch as the page suddenly becomes the techcrunch home page

seriously, what the fuck, web designers?
    Yeah a lot of websites do something similar now (though usually it's just skipping comments to get to other articles or on ANN just going to another article since comments are a separate forum page.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I've got a small problem with a notebook charger. Notebook says that the wattage cannot be determined when I switch it on. It seems that the problem might be related to the fact I've been using the charger several times for a notebook of a different model. For a while it helped to plug the charger off at both ends and discharge it, but only for like two-three boots. Updated BIOS so far, didn't work either. Am trying another discharge right now, we'll see.
  • Probably a silly question, but are you sure the charger has the same specifications as the one for the notebook's model?
    It's the one I bought the notebook with. It wasn't exactly yesterday, but I might look into it to be sure.
    >have a school-mandated server thing I have to connect to
    >have to log in with my e-mail address and other personal data
    dwFj7lI.png
    >service is online only all the time
  • edited 2018-08-15 15:31:00
    I don't think my university ever had secure connections for anything.
    Not on the topic, but my problem seems to have just gone away. I hope I'm not praising the day before the sun sets.
  • edited 2018-09-05 12:07:08
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Tech News: New Google Chrome update has brilliant new feature to stop you reusing passwords!
    Evil Overlords at Google: Use our new password randomizer tool that saves all your new passwords to your Google account and never ever leave Chrome or any Google service ever again unless you want to also reset 100 or so passwords.
    Me: Haha poor Google people.
    Firefox: You do write out all your own passwords but you use your Firefox account to remember all of them so you can't leave me either!
    Me: I should really just write out a physical list of all my passwords from now on.
    ...aaand it's back. Apart from the message everything works fine, so for now it's nothing but a nuisance.